Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 08:34 PM

82 posts, read 121,407 times

Advertisements

I have noticed that their is quite a bit of threads about interracial relationships that are started by Blacks and Whites and mention ONLY black-white dating. I have also seen first hand that IR relationships either don't mention or don't consider Latino-white relationships and Asian-white relationships REALLY interracial. Meaning when a Latino or Asian dates interracial either its a non-issue or considered OK.

As for my personal experience being Latino and having been involved in many IR relationships, I don't think I've ever heard a comment from my girlfriends friends or family when I've dated Asian-Black or White. Its almost as if being Latino gave me the ability to cross date without anyone ever actually considering that " I am different".

I've had relationships with an Armenian, who are considered very racially conscious and don't approve of IR very much and never had anyone of the entire family , foreign born or extended male family even act as if we were in an IR relationship.

My point is this: are all these threads on IR really threads about interracial relationships or are they threads on interracial relationships with BLACKS?

Today almost 50% of all IR involve a Hispanic partner and in shear numbers there are almost 2 million Latino men and women who have married OUT. Yet no discussions on this really?

Also as far slanted as Asian female/ white male couples are and black male/ white female couples are , Hispanic/Mestizo/Latino interracial relationships are split almost 50-50% with a Latino male marrying out and a Latina female marrying out as well.

Here is my take on this and Id like peoples opinions:

I believe Latinos are the barometer of interracial relationships and I believe that when we do date/marry out its usually done out of genuine interest in a person irregardless of race instead of "because" of it.

OPINIONS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 01:59 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Because Asians and Latinos are heavily concentrated in a few states, and the average "middle state" American doesn't have enough in their community to notice or even consider what's happening with the Latinos and Asians.

In many places in the US, where there is a newer population of Latinos (typically Mexican), they tend to be isolated by language and class, so there isn't as much intermixing. In places like TX, CA, NY people have more opinions because there is more shared history and consideration.

Opinions on interracial dating have regional differences.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:15 AM

567 posts, read 1,120,617 times
Growing up in Los Angeleez in the 80s and 90s, a Mexican/white pairing was never all that remarkable. Hell, I'm the product of such a pairing myself, and my blonde Viking-looking kid is 1/4 Mexican.

It always felt like in California that whites and Mexicans had more in common with one another than either did with blacks or Asians. Especially if the whites in question were Catholic; then there's a whole lot more in common, and less reason for families to object. The Catholic thing is also probably why Filipino/Mexican couples seem like they're way more common than, say, Korean/Mexican couples.

Generally speaking, blue collar white and Mexican-American people in Southern California like the same things: working on cars, cruising, the Dodgers, beer, barbecues, going to the beach, 60s music, and in a lot of instances the Virgin Mary.

With that said, it can become an issue in other instances. An Asian ladyfriend once told me that as far as her parents and her friends' parents went, the ideal was to bring home a guy of the same exact ethnicity; the next step down was a guy of a different Asian ethnicity, and below that a white guy, and below that a Latino guy, and as for a black guy... you'd run the risk of being disowned. The Indian-Americans were strictest of all. An Indian friend married a white friend and everyone kept going on about how remarkable it was; she said that if her parents had been typical Indian parents like most her friends have, she would've been disowned. Indians have the lowest rate of out-marriage in America if I'm not mistaken, even lower than that of Muslim Americans.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Because Asians and Latinos are heavily concentrated in a few states, and the average "middle state" American doesn't have enough in their community to notice or even consider what's happening with the Latinos and Asians.

In many places in the US, where there is a newer population of Latinos (typically Mexican), they tend to be isolated by language and class, so there isn't as much intermixing. In places like TX, CA, NY people have more opinions because there is more shared history and consideration.

Opinions on interracial dating have regional differences.
That's a good response. Latinos are typically in America 1. majority Mexican 2. majority Southwestern States

But the other Latinos such as Cuban, Colombian, Nicaraguan and all indigenous Latinos { outside of Dominican and Puerto Ricans} tend to have nearly identical rates of interracial pairings and in the same patterns as Southwest Hispanics predominately Mexican.

Also what gets me is how uniformly Latinos date out. No other racial group in America dates out as equally as Latinos. For every Latino that married out a Latina did as well. Asian, Black pairings are so 1 sided as to question the motives of those doing the dating/marrying ( marrying up, black women are't attractive, Asian men are effeminate, I want lighter babies, status symbol, etc etc)

Even among groups whom Latinos didn't marry as much with such as blacks, our pairings were equal again. What this tells me and what I've personally seen myself and experienced is that when we marry out or when I've dated out many times my race was secondary and the attraction aspect was predominate, not because of race BUT despite it.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalLord View Post
Growing up in Los Angeleez in the 80s and 90s, a Mexican/white pairing was never all that remarkable. Hell, I'm the product of such a pairing myself, and my blonde Viking-looking kid is 1/4 Mexican.

It always felt like in California that whites and Mexicans had more in common with one another than either did with blacks or Asians. Especially if the whites in question were Catholic; then there's a whole lot more in common, and less reason for families to object. The Catholic thing is also probably why Filipino/Mexican couples seem like they're way more common than, say, Korean/Mexican couples.

Generally speaking, blue collar white and Mexican-American people in Southern California like the same things: working on cars, cruising, the Dodgers, beer, barbecues, going to the beach, 60s music, and in a lot of instances the Virgin Mary.

With that said, it can become an issue in other instances. An Asian ladyfriend once told me that as far as her parents and her friends' parents went, the ideal was to bring home a guy of the same exact ethnicity; the next step down was a guy of a different Asian ethnicity, and below that a white guy, and below that a Latino guy, and as for a black guy... you'd run the risk of being disowned. The Indian-Americans were strictest of all. An Indian friend married a white friend and everyone kept going on about how remarkable it was; she said that if her parents had been typical Indian parents like most her friends have, she would've been disowned. Indians have the lowest rate of out-marriage in America if I'm not mistaken, even lower than that of Muslim Americans.
I've read on this forum many threads asking if California was really the interracial capital of America and I assume people believe that it is common and in all sizes and shapes and colors. But what the numbers say is pretty telling:

Interracial dating California is REALLY interracial dating with LATINOS CALIFORNIA. 75% of all interracial pairings in the state have one hispanic partner. Thats a hugely disproportionate number. The vast majority of those relationships were between Hispanics and Whites.

Without the IR relationships in California , America as a whole would have almost 30% less IR couples and the numbers of this supposed growing trend would've basically not have changed at all since 1970.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:57 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,763,680 times
One problem is, somehow parents also want to be a member of your new family after you get married.
If an Asian man marries a black woman, for example, it is very unlikely the Asian parents and the black daughter in law can have things in common to build a close relationship.
Orientals value family even more and cannot see that happening.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:12 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,981,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
One problem is, somehow parents also want to be a member of your new family after you get married.
If an Asian man marries a black woman, for example, it is very unlikely the Asian parents and the black daughter in law can have things in common to build a close relationship.
Orientals value family even more and cannot see that happening.

My know of one family that has a Filipino man married to a black woman and his cousin is married to her brother. They get along well...but than again, Filipinos are the blacks of Asia (i.e, the only Asians who consistently have rhythm )

Old 12-22-2012, 01:39 PM

We all know one person who married another person of another race. My friends brother has 2 daughters with a Cambodian girl. I know a Mexican lady married to a Samoan. My long term ex who was half white married a guy from Iran. on and on and on......But there are DEFINETLY certain races who are more likely to marry-date and generally either (1) find eachother more so compatible (2) are more likely to date and marry based on certain factors like , looking similar-similar cultures and religion.

Ive majority seen white/latino interracial marriages. What I see personally is matched by census data. I have family myself who are completely white, as an example :

A very european cousin of mine , who was Nicaraguan, married a very European looking guy from Chile. They children were completely white-blonde hair blue eyes...etc. Now their children gravivated towards there white side, in Westminister, they all prefered dating white men/women. They have had their own children and their is not one shread of evidence, that their kids would-could be anything at all but completely European American.

This in one generation of kids. For whatever reason people tend to gravitate to a certain race. Phillipinos and Mexicans. White and Mexicans. Armenians and Mexicans. These have alot of interracial marriages.

The census say that 75% of all interracial marriages involve latinos in California. Its no surprise. For whatever reason Mexicans born in America , GENERALLY, can swim the sea of interracial dating and marriage.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:55 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,484,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicosal13 View Post
I have noticed that their is quite a bit of threads about interracial relationships that are started by Blacks and Whites and mention ONLY black-white dating. I have also seen first hand that IR relationships either don't mention or don't consider Latino-white relationships and Asian-white relationships REALLY interracial. Meaning when a Latino or Asian dates interracial either its a non-issue or considered OK.

As for my personal experience being Latino and having been involved in many IR relationships, I don't think I've ever heard a comment from my girlfriends friends or family when I've dated Asian-Black or White. Its almost as if being Latino gave me the ability to cross date without anyone ever actually considering that " I am different".

I've had relationships with an Armenian, who are considered very racially conscious and don't approve of IR very much and never had anyone of the entire family , foreign born or extended male family even act as if we were in an IR relationship.

My point is this: are all these threads on IR really threads about interracial relationships or are they threads on interracial relationships with BLACKS?

Today almost 50% of all IR involve a Hispanic partner and in shear numbers there are almost 2 million Latino men and women who have married OUT. Yet no discussions on this really?

Also as far slanted as Asian female/ white male couples are and black male/ white female couples are , Hispanic/Mestizo/Latino interracial relationships are split almost 50-50% with a Latino male marrying out and a Latina female marrying out as well.

Here is my take on this and Id like peoples opinions:

I believe Latinos are the barometer of interracial relationships and I believe that when we do date/marry out its usually done out of genuine interest in a person irregardless of race instead of "because" of it.

OPINIONS?
Interracial dating can be challenging in an event, but the black/white thing in the US is really unique. There is just so much more historical baggage to deal with. Plus, the level of distrust and hostility between blacks and whites just tends to be higher than between many other groups. Some people will dispute this, but I think the evidence is there.

Consider the following. When was the last time you heard of scores of white homeowners selling off their property at a loss and fleeing a neighborhood in panic because Pakistanis were moving in? When was the last time you heard of dozens of white-owned businesses closing up and relocating to a different neighborhood due to an influx of Koreans? When was the last time you heard of white parents yanking their kids out of the local public school en masse because they worried too many Cambodian kids were starting to go there?

The answer to all three questions is NEVER. Yet, this is what happens all the time when blacks start to move in to majority white neighborhoods. This has its parallel in the dating world.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:23 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,785,732 times
Cause black/white makes more news.

Asian/white, Hispanics/white is a non story. Black/Hispanic also non story.

Look at George Zimmerman. News media traded to play the black/"white" issue until it was quickly disclosed Zimmerman was half Hispanic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies