Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 06:12 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Not this Republican. Overall he did a decent job.
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 07:22 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
President Bush - even with all the faults I found with him - looks better and better the longer Obama is in the Oval Office.
Dittoheads would agree.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:27 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,193,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
He at least knew Social Security was in grave danger. And he was right. We are in worse shape now then back then. We started in 2010 paying out MORE then is taken in.

Te TRIED to get Congress to come up with a solution, ( that is the way our government is supposed to work, not by decree).

The President and Congress are SUPPOSED to work together to resolve problems.

I am sure you have heard the word bi-partisan.

As I recall may dems were all over TV saying how Social Security was fine and nothing need to be done about it.

I also remember how the dems REFUSED to even sit down and discuss the issue.
Man, seriously, you need to check your memory. Not only are you claiming that the Senate was Democratic in 2003 when it was actually Republican, but Bush got no cooperation from his own party on SS. Him not getting SS reform done was just because he didn't have the political capital in dealing with either party.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:48 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I'm 1952 people thought Truman was terrible but history has judged him much more kindly.
Your talking about future generations, who will read history and form a less partisan opinion of Bush. Bush was hated for beating Gore, and hated for being a swaggering republican from Texas. future generations will not have the vile hatred for the man, and will simply look at his record, and with that, they will judge him more kindly.

I'm referring to the facts. Bush did spend too much, and his solutions were created with the notion that big federal government solutions, or throwing enough taxpayer money around will solve most every problem.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:06 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
this is exactly the point i was making.

{Please explain to us how HE went into Iraq WITHOUT a dem controlled Senate.

And how the war was funded without the same dem controlled Senate?

Do you put equal blame on the dems?
I don't put equal blame on the Democrats, Quick, because the blame is not equal. The Senate didn't call up the White House and insist on starting a costly, unnecessary war. However, I do blame Congress (Democrats included of course) plenty. They caved to Bush's whims in the most servile and politically craven way. They had a constitutional duty to stand up to Bush and insist we seek out and destroy our enemies in a more intelligent, effective and less costly way. Had they done this, they would have been ridiculed, and many of them would have probably lost their seats in upcoming elections. They should have done it anyways.

I'm not a Paulite, but I completely agree with him no one point: the fact that the president now has the power to wage war is the single biggest threat to our liberty and our American way of life. We can't continue on as a democratic Republic without Congress reasserting its right as the sole body that can declare war. It's just far too tempting for individuals to declare unnecessary wars because it enlarges their power. This is how every tyranny in recorded history operated. This is why our forefathers insisted that presidents would not have the power of war. A president who did would cease to be a president -- he'd be a dictator of some sort.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Your talking about future generations, who will read history and form a less partisan opinion of Bush. Bush was hated for beating Gore, and hated for being a swaggering republican from Texas. future generations will not have the vile hatred for the man, and will simply look at his record, and with that, they will judge him more kindly.

I'm referring to the facts. Bush did spend too much, and his solutions were created with the notion that big federal government solutions, or throwing enough taxpayer money around will solve most every problem.
I agree with you that future generations will not remember Bush's Texas swagger and revile him for it. However, I think he is going to be judged pretty harshly for the wars. Guantanamo will probably be a black mark as well.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:11 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
He was an alcoholic before he was elected, while he was in office and still is. That alone disqualifies him for the office.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:12 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,665,184 times
Nancy Grace has a hidden crush on him

<shiverz>

Old 02-29-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
GWB is probably one of the biggest failed leaders in the history of this country. Did he do a single thing right, that actually mattered, while he was in office?
We've had some doozies in the White House. GWB was bad, but he wasn't the worst. I think his closest match would be Warren Harding -- a nice enough man who was also an idiot who was surrounded by corrupt people who took advantage of him and their positions to loot the public trusts. Harding was much better than Bush in that he had the good sense to die early on in his administration. Had he lived, and had he decided he had what it took to launch two unnecessary, costly wars, he'd be Bush's twin.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:19 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I don't put equal blame on the Democrats, Quick, because the blame is not equal. The Senate didn't call up the White House and insist on starting a costly, unnecessary war. However, I do blame Congress (Democrats included of course) plenty. They caved to Bush's whims in the most servile and politically craven way. They had a constitutional duty to stand up to Bush and insist we seek out and destroy our enemies in a more intelligent, effective and less costly way. Had they done this, they would have been ridiculed, and many of them would have probably lost their seats in upcoming elections. They should have done it anyways.

I'm not a Paulite, but I completely agree with him no one point: the fact that the president now has the power to wage war is the single biggest threat to our liberty and our American way of life. We can't continue on as a democratic Republic without Congress reasserting its right as the sole body that can declare war. It's just far too tempting for individuals to declare unnecessary wars because it enlarges their power. This is how every tyranny in recorded history operated. This is why our forefathers insisted that presidents would not have the power of war. A president who did would cease to be a president -- he'd be a dictator of some sort.
The democrats screwed themselves. They could not vote against Bush's request to go to war with Saddam's Iraq, because for the past 8 years, they made speech after speech about the evil, dangerous Saddam, and his WMDs, and justified numerous military attacks under Clinton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies