Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 11:49 AM

450 posts, read 502,648 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious, because Republicans and Conservatives are constantly arguing to let the Free Market system work and take the Government out of it!

Why do they ignore their core principle when it comes to gas prices?
Now that gas prices are rising they are blaming Obama (Government) for not doing something about it.

But wait....I thought they believe that Government should not intrude in the Free Market?

So if Oil companies and Gas stations want to charge 5 bucks a gallon for gas, isn't that the Free Market System working (according to their logic)?

What am I missing here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 11:52 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,908,581 times
Price at the pump has to do with refineries and not the actual stations themselves..

EDIT: also consider refinery capacity.....if there is no entry into the market for competition in regards to refineries.....then there will be no competitive pricing.

Which there isn't... it's pretty much a monopoly and not the free market working at all....

Old 02-29-2012, 11:55 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Republicans don't believe in a free market, Libertarians do. A true free market does apply to gas prices.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Price at the pump has to do with refineries and not the actual stations themselves..

EDIT: also consider refinery capacity.....if there is no entry into the market for competition in regards to refineries.....then there will be no competitive pricing.

Which there isn't... it's pretty much a monopoly and not the free market working at all....
I disagree with you on it being a monopoly.

Oil companies (not just ONE Oil company) own refineries. So there is competition involved. It isn't one company setting the gas prices. Its several companies setting the prices and those prices trickle down the supply chain and can be further manipulated by Gas Stations.

Sounds like the Free Market System to me.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2flyy View Post
I disagree with you on it being a monopoly.

Oil companies (not just ONE Oil company) own refineries. So there is competition involved. It isn't one company setting the gas prices. Its several companies setting the prices and those prices trickle down the supply chain and can be further manipulated by Gas Stations.

Sounds like the Free Market System to me.
Read up on OPEC and free markets...

Free Markets Would Be OPEC's Undoing - George Reisman - Mises Daily

EDIT: America is NOT a free market....never has been

Old 02-29-2012, 12:04 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,935,880 times
The gas stations are working on low margins when it comes to gas. If that wasn't the case one station group could cut the price by a dollar and get ever single person in town to go there and just warn the distributor (who also charges them) the heads up to keep the fuel coming.

The prices are fixed from the beginning but the stations themselves pay an arm and a leg to get it to the station itself.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
I've read a lot about OPEC and I understand their role and how they control gas prices to a large extent.

But just because foreign nations can manipulate prices of good and services that doesn't make it a NON- Free Market System.

Alot of industries (prices) are controlled by foreign nations (China for example), and these are STILL Free Market Systems.

Am I wrong?

Old 02-29-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
The gas stations are working on low margins when it comes to gas. If that wasn't the case one station group could cut the price by a dollar and get ever single person in town to go there and just warn the distributor (who also charges them) the heads up to keep the fuel coming.

The prices are fixed from the beginning but the stations themselves pay an arm and a leg to get it to the station itself.
I understand the gas stations role. Although your points are largely true. My point was that Gas Stations can RAISE prices (to raise profits-see price gouging at gas stations after 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina for example).

Again my point is that this is a part of the Free Market System and that according to conservatives, government should still the heck out.

*Not that I agree or disagree with that assertion**

Old 02-29-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I've read a lot about OPEC and I understand their role and how they control gas prices to a large extent.

But just because foreign nations can manipulate prices of good and services that doesn't make it a NON- Free Market System.

Not when OPEC is protected by the US foreign trade laws....

Protectionism is not free trade...

Quote:
Alot of industries (prices) are controlled by foreign nations (China for example), and these are STILL Free Market Systems.

Am I wrong?
Totally different dynamic...

Old 02-29-2012, 12:15 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
I'm just curious, because Republicans and Conservatives are constantly arguing to let the Free Market system work and take the Government out of it!

Why do they ignore their core principle when it comes to gas prices?
Now that gas prices are rising they are blaming Obama (Government) for not doing something about it.

But wait....I thought they believe that Government should not intrude in the Free Market?

So if Oil companies and Gas stations want to charge 5 bucks a gallon for gas, isn't that the Free Market System working (according to their logic)?

What am I missing here?
Because gas prices are politicized. I'm guessing you were one of those people screaming about high gas prices and Bush's oil buddies but NOW....it's just free market actions.

Congratulations, both sides are utter hypocrits on the topic and the republicans are angling for some election year payback.

It's really that simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies