Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 05:36 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times

Advertisements

Then why or how did the priest's superior say the priest's action was incorrect?
I no longer wonder why some people become born-again Christians or some form of going directly to Jesus, without going through the middleman of some church hierarchy that was formed in Middle Ages (or Dark Ages) politics.
Being a non-believer, I guess I have a lot of free time to consider these things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 05:38 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I'm sure there is no civil rights issue here and none will be brought up. It just isn't so.
I do wonder why anyone would want to take part in a church that has such an attitude about one's private life.
To the rest of us, it's just a cracker, right? Why would this sad daughter care what the church does or thinks about her soul regarding who she loves?
Perhaps she shouldn't have gone up for the cracker if she knew the church denies her soul. If it was simply a matter of choice for the priest, shame on him for cruelty.

One's sexuality is quite different from one's spirituality; GLBT people have the same needs as heterosexuals. There are many who attend church regularly, in churches with priests or ministers who welcome them. It was the priest's personal choice, as the letter of apology that Ms. Johnson received from a priest of higher rank showed. Cruel indeed.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:43 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Receiving communion is not a "civil right".
Just meaning I'm sure she's sue-happy. Why else would she make this an issue in a Catholic Church?

Old 02-29-2012, 06:27 PM

488 posts, read 554,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Then why or how did the priest's superior say the priest's action was incorrect?
It is very obvious that nobody here actually read or understood what the diocese actually said. The diocese did NOT say the priest was wrong for refusing the eucharist. What the diocese said was the priest should have addressed the issue with the woman in private beforehand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
This really makes no sense, especially considering that the vast majority of nuns are lesbians and many of the priests themselves are homosexual. The church has long been a haven for homosexuals who go into the priesthood or into the convent in order to not have to explain their lifestyles to family.
Proof? Regardless, being homosexual is not a sin. It is only acting on homosexual attraction that is a sin.

I must say I am shocked it made it all the way to page 2 before some genius of wit made a pedophile priest remark.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:29 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Do you realize how ridiculous that question is?

Why should a priest be "tolerant" of unrepentant sin, and offer communion? Do you understand anything at all about sin, redemption, and what it means to take communion?

Amazing. <shaking my head in amazement>
My question is not ridiculous at all. I understand why this priest did not want to let this daughter partake in communion and I agree with him. HOWEVER, a highest-ranking administrator within the church issued an apology for the lack of kindness. My point was that this daughter should have attempted to make sure that the Church was one that would at least be tolerant (or "kind" if you will) to her, despite her homosexuality.

I've posted within this very thread about communion. So spare your outrage.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:34 PM

488 posts, read 554,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
My question is not ridiculous at all. I understand why this priest did not want to let this daughter partake in communion and I agree with him. HOWEVER, a highest-ranking administrator within the church issued an apology for the lack of kindness. My point was that this daughter should have attempted to make sure that the Church was one that would at least be tolerant (or "kind" if you will) to her, despite her homosexuality.

I've posted within this very thread about communion. So spare your outrage.
For the sake of their souls I hope a priest would not be "nice" and knowingly allow somebody who is not in a state of grace to receive the eucharist. However, the correct place and time to broach the subject would have been in private before mass rather than in front of everybody in the middle of the mass. I can certainly see why the woman felt shocked and humiliated by the situation.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
From what I've read, Canon Law 915 is why the priest refused---

'Those who have been excommunicated or interdicted after the imposition or declaration of the penalty and others obstinately persevering in manifest grave sin are not to be admitted to holy communion.'

That's the same canon some Catholic leaders use who've called for refusing communion to politicians who support abortion.
Actually, I was challenging a pp's position that the priest's refusal was against Church policy (according to this priest's superior).

I'm aware that you may not partake in Communion if you are living in sin and are unrepentant. I agree with this priest's action.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:35 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Heck -- if the funeral was in a mosque, she wouldn't have even been allowed in for being female.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill80 View Post
For the sake of their souls I hope a priest would not be "nice" and knowingly allow somebody who is not in a state of grace to receive the eucharist. However, the correct place and time to broach the subject would have been in private before mass rather than in front of everybody in the middle of the mass. I can certainly see why the woman felt shocked and humiliated by the situation.
I agree that the timing wasn't perfect, but we don't know the whole story. It could be that the priest was made aware shortly before communion took place. Perhaps even as the daughter came forward with her partner. By her looks alone, it is not difficult to tell that she is a lesbian.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:59 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
From what I've read, Canon Law 915 is why the priest refused---

'Those who have been excommunicated or interdicted after the imposition or declaration of the penalty and others obstinately persevering in manifest grave sin are not to be admitted to holy communion.'

That's the same canon some Catholic leaders use who've called for refusing communion to politicians who support abortion.
Quite right. The priest did exactly the right thing by refusing her. Unfortunately in the Catholic Church these days many diocesan "policies" do not conform to Catholic doctrine.

Also, persevering in manifest grave sin is one thing, but when that grave sin is public - as in cohabitation with an unmarried "partner" (of either sex), public support for abortion, or what have you - that sin becomes a scandal and it is all the more important to enforce the canon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies