Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 05:33 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A woman who was brutally mauled by her friend's Chimpanzee is filing a claim that would allow her to sue the state of Connecticut, saying officials knew the animal that lived in a residential home was a ticking time bomb.

Charla Nash told WABC that officials knew the 200-pound Chimpanzee, named Travis, was dangerous after he ran through downtown Stamford, CT and didn't do anything about it — until it was too late.

She said she always knew something terrible would happen if Travis continued to live with her friend, Sandra Herrold, who treated him like her own child.

"I always thought that Travis was going to hurt someone someday but I never thought it would be me," she told the TV station.
So you always thought Travis would hurt someone but you kept going over there and never called the authorities. Now that your face has been ripped off my the beast it's the state's fault.

Does anyone take responsibility for their own actions anymore.

Read more: Charla Nash, woman mauled by Chimpanzee, starts process to sue Connecticut for 150 million* - NY Daily News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 05:37 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,288,761 times
For once i agree with you.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:43 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,368,672 times
That chimp did a number on her mug she went from a 6 to scary.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:48 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
She needs money and it's unfortunate that this is the way we do things in the USA.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:53 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times
So she knew the chimp was a danger and yet still chose to enter her friend's apartment where the chimp was kept?

That's like stepping into a bullfight ring with an angry bull then suing the city/state for your stupidity. If the jury gives her cash then they're brain dead.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:02 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,697,329 times
She has a point, we put down dogs just for biting somebody even if they're not particularly threatening animals. Yet a zoo animal (what sane ****ing person owns a chimp as a pet?) runs through the streets of a city and animal control doesn't do anything about it?

e: At the same time, why would she keep going there when she knew that animal was a threat? Supposedly the day the attack happened she was there to catch it... uhm... she should have shown up with a 12-gauge.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:09 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
She needs money and it's unfortunate that this is the way we do things in the USA.

"it's unfortunate" is what one says about an 'act of God,' a freak accident, or something that fell out of the sky.

This is a deliberately created system, primarily brought about by the Democratic party and their trial lawyer benefactors.

The American Association for Justice (formerly the American Trial Lawyers Assoc) is number 7 on the all time donor list at opensecrets.com. They donate 88% to Democrats.
Top All-Time Donors, 1989-2012 | OpenSecrets

Old 02-29-2012, 06:11 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,941,585 times
I know there is a danger of getting into a car accident while driving to work yet I still do it. She's just suing the wrong entity.

If the animal attacked her in the street then that would be a different story if the state knew yet did nothing.

"Honey I'm headed to Barbs house."

"What are you doing"

"A little whine, some conversation then going to go catch a Chimpanzee"

"Okay"

Who goes to capture a Chimp at a friends house. This sounds more like a Jackass the Movie stunt that real life.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:21 PM

441 posts, read 886,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
So she knew the chimp was a danger and yet still chose to enter her friend's apartment where the chimp was kept?

That's like stepping into a bullfight ring with an angry bull then suing the city/state for your stupidity.
I agree.

But then again I don't trust such animals (seen bad maulings of people by chimps and other exotic animals) so I would likely have stayed away...

In any event it'd make more sense for her to be suing the chimp's owner, assuming, that is, that someone had to be sued.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:33 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
What happened to that poor woman is terrible.

But she showed extremely poor judgement and put herself in danger willingly. A friend with a potentially dangerous beast that has a history of bad behavior calls you up to "help her put him back in his cage because he's acting up" and you agree?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies