Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 04:59 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,225,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
Mahe was fired in the wake of 9/11 for having the guts (or lack of wisdom) to basically say the terrorists were effective and coordinated in their attacks...something the country really didn't want to hear at the time, but today would cause no waves whatsoever.
That's not what Maher said. Bill Maher said that Americans were the cowardly ones, "lobbing missles from 2000 miles away",...while the terrorists "staying in the airplanes until they hit the buildings (on 9/11) were not cowardly".....

You're recollection of the event is flawed, or you choose to make the comments less offensive than they were in reality. At any rate, Maher's show was pulled from the network,....as it should have been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 05:20 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
When you are wrong you are wrong. I am one of those so-called lefties and I despise BOTH Rush and Maher and can not excuse either one of them. What about you?
The truth is, I am not really bothered much by what either said. As far as Maher, I don't care if he plays a continuous loop of himself calling Palin a "c**t" or "tw*t." What does it even mean? It's just a juvenile, childish epithet. I don't want him censored. In fact one good thing about this dustup is that it brings to light what an idiot this guy is, who just announced a $1 million donation toward the re-election of Obama.

As far as Limbaugh, my main problem with him is that he insulted sluts and prostitutes everywhere, and many of them are my friends. Here was this 30-yr-old soon to-be-lawyer demanding that money be taken out of somebody else's pocket for her contraceptives. And furthermore that a religious institution be mandated by law to contravene their own principles. She deserved to be insulted, but Limbaugh's words were definitely ill-considered, as he admitted today.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:47 PM

764 posts, read 597,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
That's not what Maher said. Bill Maher said that Americans were the cowardly ones, "lobbing missles from 2000 miles away",...while the terrorists "staying in the airplanes until they hit the buildings (on 9/11) were not cowardly".....
There's nothing offensive about that. It's the truth. The terrorists were called cowards. They were not in any way whatsoever. They were horrible, delusional people, but they weren't cowards. The act of shooting cruise missiles at no specific target from across the world, in itself, is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The idea that Maher can somehow get away with crude remarks because he is a "comedian" is a completely specious argument. This means that if Limbaugh relabeled his show 'The Limbaugh comedy show' suddenly he could have said what he said, and it wouldn't be a problem. Or if Maher renamed his show 'Maher on Politics,' suddenly he could no longer get away with calling Palin and Bachmann "c**t" and "tw*t."
Nope. The difference is that Bill Maher has been a comedian for 33 years...

Old 03-05-2012, 07:57 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,225,524 times
[quote=Lithium;23276051]There's nothing offensive about that. It's the truth. The terrorists were called cowards. They were not in any way whatsoever. They were horrible, delusional people, but they weren't cowards. The act of shooting cruise missiles at no specific target from across the world, in itself, is. quote]

So,...killing 3000 innocent people is not being cowardly? What a stupid comment,...just like Bill Maher. By your analogy, strapping on a bomb and detonating it on a school bus must also be "heroic" in your eyes.

You and Bill Maher have a warped sense of cowardice if you think the terrorists were not cowards for killing 3000 innocent people.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:32 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,940,220 times
He's a political comedian but you could accurately call him a pundit. A pundit is just someone who offers their opinion on political issues. He's a lot more pundit than comedian lately since a lot of what he says isn't intended to be humorous, more just pointing out idiocy in conservatives.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:39 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,497,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Maher is a disgusting human being and I don't care what he calls himself because it doesn't change what he is.
I don't agree with everything Mahr says. He's an Athiest. I'm not. He's often vulgur, I'm not so inclined. He does have a great natural instinct to ferret-out the con men, political phoney's, the grifters and scam artists. He also allows opposing viewpoints. On balance, I learn from watching hsi show .. as I learn from watching others. I blend the various perspectives. Not Rush, though. He's a Pig. A racist. Someone who should be run from town on a rail. With tar and feathers.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:09 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
There's nothing offensive about that. It's the truth. The terrorists were called cowards. They were not in any way whatsoever. They were horrible, delusional people, but they weren't cowards. The act of shooting cruise missiles at no specific target from across the world, in itself, is.

Nope. The difference is that Bill Maher has been a comedian for 33 years...
yep. Maher is a political commentator and comedian. So is Limbaugh. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:26 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,504,225 times
Quote:
The idea that Maher can somehow get away with crude remarks because he is a "comedian" is a completely specious argument. This means that if Limbaugh relabeled his show 'The Limbaugh comedy show' suddenly he could have said what he said, and it wouldn't be a problem. Or if Maher renamed his show 'Maher on Politics,' suddenly he could no longer get away with calling Palin and Bachmann "c**t" and "tw*t."

Why does it not surprise me that this idiotic argument has become one of the most popular talking points now for lefties in connection with the Limbaugh dustup?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
He's a political comedian but you could accurately call him a pundit. A pundit is just someone who offers their opinion on political issues. He's a lot more pundit than comedian lately since a lot of what he says isn't intended to be humorous, more just pointing out idiocy in conservatives.
Quote:
yep. Maher is a political commentator and comedian. So is Limbaugh. Six of one, half dozen of the other.
The difference is one is a political talk-show host, and the other a political satirist. Maher's show is aimed with the intent of comedy, parody, and satire of politics. Limbaugh's show, as a talk-show, isn't aimed at satire or parody, but discussion of politics.

Now, there isn't much discussing going on with Limbaugh, and throwing ina a few "hardy har hars" isn't the same as designing a show for satire.

So no, you can't just rename a show and get away with it. And, notably, Maher's show isn't sponsored like Limbaugh's show is. Maher just has to worry about HBO violating his contract. Limbaugh actually has to raise funds for his show. As such, going off-script and calling a woman a ho-bag isn't going to win over any sponsors except a myriad of Family Values associations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
So,...killing 3000 innocent people is not being cowardly? What a stupid comment,...just like Bill Maher. By your analogy, strapping on a bomb and detonating it on a school bus must also be "heroic" in your eyes.

You and Bill Maher have a warped sense of cowardice if you think the terrorists were not cowards for killing 3000 innocent people.
Those fifteen people gave their lives for a cause they believed in. The United States launches missiles remotely without putting their own lives at risk. It's a much smarter battle plan we can accomplish with technology, but we also kill indiscriminately. Estimates put the number of civilian casualties at over 1,000,000 between Iraq and Afghanistan.

The killing of three thousand civilians is dishonorable, but the method upon doing so isn't cowardice.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:37 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,295,442 times
Quote:
Limbaugh is not a comedian.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:50 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
The truth is, I am not really bothered much by what either said. As far as Maher, I don't care if he plays a continuous loop of himself calling Palin a "c**t" or "tw*t." What does it even mean? It's just a juvenile, childish epithet. I don't want him censored. In fact one good thing about this dustup is that it brings to light what an idiot this guy is, who just announced a $1 million donation toward the re-election of Obama.

As far as Limbaugh, my main problem with him is that he insulted sluts and prostitutes everywhere, and many of them are my friends. Here was this 30-yr-old soon to-be-lawyer demanding that money be taken out of somebody else's pocket for her contraceptives. And furthermore that a religious institution be mandated by law to contravene their own principles. She deserved to be insulted, but Limbaugh's words were definitely ill-considered, as he admitted today.
I think some enterprising person has done some real digging at Georgetown and found this little bit out about Fluke that tells us much about her in the last 10 years or so. She ain't no angel as the left says she is.

Sandra Fluke, Gender Reassignment, and Health Insurance - Transcript | MRCTV

I inserted this because it talks about what Rush did with info that wasn't available when the media and the left declared war on him and now is out in the open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies