Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 12:28 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,101,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Words in themselves mean nothing to me.

The intent is what gets to me. Limbaugh's intent was to malign her reputation. Limbaugh's comments led listeners to believe that the woman was promiscuous.
How can you know someones intent, unless they explicitly tell you it? I was under the impression that his comments were meant to convey that she was a leech, but anyway just to be clear if he had just said, "Ms. Fluke is a ****", and not expounded, you would be okay with that? I'm still not understanding your position. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 12:34 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,295,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
How can you know someones intent, unless they explicitly tell you it? I was under the impression that his comments were meant to convey that she was a leech, but anyway just to be clear if he had just said, "Ms. Fluke is a ****", and not expounded, you would be okay with that? I'm still not understanding your position. Thanks
When you publicly call someone promiscuous, a ****, a woman who likes to have lots of sex, and a prostitute , it's pretty explicit what you want your listeners to think of this person.

Rush presented his insults as a fact and not an opinion. Rush makes racist statements left and right, this is a guy that calls Obama a "Magic Negro" calling a woman a **** is really not that out of the ordinary for him. Trying to convince his audience that this woman is a **** is a different story.

Rush effed up, he knows he effed up, hence his apology. It seems like his knuckle dragging fans are the only ones that don't realize he effed up.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:49 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,858,962 times
I agree with Maher most of the time. But I have to admit, he's a disgusting human being.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:53 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
Mahr is a misanthrope who uses comedy to spread his hatred of mankind and society.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:58 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,225,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Those fifteen people gave their lives for a cause they believed in. The United States launches missiles remotely without putting their own lives at risk. It's a much smarter battle plan we can accomplish with technology, but we also kill indiscriminately. Estimates put the number of civilian casualties at over 1,000,000 between Iraq and Afghanistan.

The killing of three thousand civilians is dishonorable, but the method upon doing so isn't cowardice.
So, you believe a person who straps on bombs and blows up a school bus load of children "isn't cowardice". The principle is the same.

I question both your sanity and your heroes...

Old 03-06-2012, 06:11 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,684,417 times
Rush Limbaugh dosen't have "comedic license." Comedic license is when you cross the line people forgive you because everyone knows you are trying to be funny and entertaining. On the other hand Rush prides himself on being informative.

Most comics have crossed the line .Most recently Tracey Jordan and the Sienfield character "Kramer" made remarks in his act that caused his carreer to take a nose dive.

Rush never represented himself to his fans or advertizers as a comic and he didn't spend the early part of career on the road doing comedy clubs. He has never been introduced as a comedian. I think he would be personally insulted if some one refered to him as a comic. In his appolgy he never said he was just trying to be funny.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:34 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,666,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
So, you believe a person who straps on bombs and blows up a school bus load of children "isn't cowardice". The principle is the same.

I question both your sanity and your heroes...

It takes a certain amount of guts to blow yourself up/kill yourself in the name of your religion, your nation, and/or your beliefs. I certainly would describe this behavior as "cowardly". You may not like their tactics and find them to be abominable excuses for human beings--but cowards, they are not. I think that was Maher's point. We can stand hundreds of miles away and kill someone--makes it REAL easy. It takes a lot more guts to stand right next to someone and kill them and also take yourself out to get the job done.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:43 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Like Rush has said, they (include Stewart) are political pundits until they get in trouble, then they hide behind "but I'm a only comedian."

I'll say it again. Bill Maher works for HBO. HBO has no advertising so ratings don't matter. HBO gets its money by having people subscribe to HBO. HBO gets people to subscribe to HBO by touting its award winning shows. Once you subscribe to HBO, HBO doesn't care what you watch/don't watch on HBO. There is no money gotten by what shows/movies have big or small audiences. The awards are voted on by Hollywood. All Bill Maher has to do is get awards by pleasing Hollywood so HBO can tout its Award Winning Shows to get subscribers. He doesn't have to get more viewers. He can be anything he wants to be as long as Hollywood keeps nominating and voting for his show. Once you or I subscribe to HBO, HBO doesn't care if you watch movies or its shows or you don't hardly watch HBO at all.

That's why Maher should be evaluated differently. As long as Hollywood likes him, no one else matters.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:49 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,652,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
yep. Maher is a political commentator and comedian. So is Limbaugh. Six of one, half dozen of the other.
Really?

People actually laugh at his jokes?

Can you post some of his political jokes?
Please, share the laughter caused by a Limbaugh joke!

Old 03-06-2012, 06:57 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,446,125 times
Lightbulb Is this man a comedian or a political pundit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Take away his use of the F word which always elicits a big laugh from his handpicked audience and is guests and it appears to me that he is very much a political pundit. Of course, he hides behind the comedian title when faced with answering my question.

Bill Maher: Who is Saul Alinsky? And Why do Republicans Make Obama into a President He is Not? - YouTube

He's an educator. If you watched the video you linked to, you'll finally learn who Alinsky was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies