Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 02:00 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,053,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
This why I will take God's side and follow Him.
Same, and my God doesn't have a problem with abortion.

Woo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 07:47 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,740,518 times
Quote:
My BIL and his wife adopted a child from incest. He does have handicaps but they didn't care plus they have 4 bio children and 2 other adopted ones.
I commend your brother-in-law and his wife. It takes a lot of patience and hard work to raise a normal child, but the task is ever harder when there are special needs involved. Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:14 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,538,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Same, and my God doesn't have a problem with abortion.

Woo!
Then you will need to follow your God and I will need to follow mine and the both of us with need to be tolerant of each others.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:20 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,538,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
I commend your brother-in-law and his wife. It takes a lot of patience and hard work to raise a normal child, but the task is ever harder when there are special needs involved. Thanks for sharing.
The second boy they adopted had a mother who was an alcoholic and he was born with that syndrome. He is also handicap and it damaged his brain. They are both about grown now.

They have been foster parents for years and have had many kids of all ages and problems in their home.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:09 PM

38,034 posts, read 22,214,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
I know there is no end to this abortion debate, but still I would like to make a few curious observations of my own, and invite a discussion.
  • "Pro-life" to me means, the protection of life. All life. Not just unborn fetuses. Yet, the Republicans who are madly "pro-life" have no issues dropping drones all over the Muslim world, killing countless innocents in the process. All in the name of "national security", "War on Terror", and all by now clichéd terms. How do they explain this hypocrisy?
It's about protecting innocent life, from people who wish to end it. A man armed with a gun, going a a rampage in a school, is shot by police to protect innocent life. A terrorist group who are murdering innocent people with bombs, are killed, in order to protect the innocent lives of their would be victims.

It's about protecting innocent life from someone who would kill it, for reasons of hate, as in terrorism, rage, as in a gunman going on a high school rampage, or for convenience sake, as in a woman getting an abortion because bikini season is just around the corner.

Quote:
  • I can, somewhat sympathize with the idea of being pro-life, but what about cases of rape, incest and where the life of the mother is threatened? Most Republicans are not OK with abortion even in these circumstances, but have they really thought this through? If your daughter is raped, not only she is now humiliated, she has to carry the visible sign of that humiliation for 9 months and give birth to it? Who can unconditionally love that child? If this rape victim is married, isn't this child going to destroy her marriage? If you force the mother to have the baby and if the mother dies, how is it "pro-life"?
  • x
  • In the cases of rape and incest, an argument I often hear from the pro-lifers is that the mother can give up the baby for adoption. However, I don't see this as a viable option. However much the mother may hate the situation in which she got impregnated, she develops an attachment towards the baby throughout the pregnancy, and would find it difficult to just give the baby away. This doesn't necessarily mean that the mother will love the child either. At best, the child will be brought up in the mother's home, but it's highly likely that it will have a broken childhood.
Rape is an act of horrific violence against a woman, incest is also a rape, most times. I have no problem with a legitimate abortion for a rape victim.

Quote:
  • The pro-life argument even extends to cases where it's learned during pregnancy that the child have birth disabilities. Is there any reason to destroy a perfectly happy couple's life with forcing them to have a disabled child? If the child is aborted, the couple will be hurt, sure, but it will pale in comparison to the magnitude of the hurt they will have to go through to care for a disabled child throughout their life, and to see that child being unable to cope with society. I see no compassion in this. Only stubborn selfishness.
  • x
  • Conservatives always complain about deadbeats on the dole. The usual kind who goes on the dole and becomes a deliberate freeloader is someone from a broken home who had a broken childhood, and who weren't loved by their parents. I am not generalizing, but you get the idea. If a couple is forced to bring forth into this world, a child which they didn't want, I am willing to wager that the child will end up being a financial burden on the society. Now, have the conservatives shot themselves in the foot or what?

Any pro-life conservative care to counter these?
I don't know how far along in the pregnancy where they can determine birth defects, but too far into a pregnancy and it starts to become murder for selfish motives, of not wishing to be burdened and inconvenienced.

When we start aborting babies because they will be born handicapped, then we are starting down a dark path. How far would gene sequencing of a fetus progress too, could we one day be able to tell parents their baby will be unattractive, prone to being chubby,or maybe even gay, blind, deaf, or dark skinned? Would we abort all but designer babies?

Old 03-09-2012, 09:20 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,176,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
It's about protecting innocent life, from people who wish to end it. A man armed with a gun, going a a rampage in a school, is shot by police to protect innocent life. A terrorist group who are murdering innocent people with bombs, are killed, in order to protect the innocent lives of their would be victims.

It's about protecting innocent life from someone who would kill it, for reasons of hate, as in terrorism, rage, as in a gunman going on a high school rampage, or for convenience sake, as in a woman getting an abortion because bikini season is just around the corner."""

Please show proof that women get abortions because of summer?

You can't , that's just a nsaty hateful shot at women.

Bet you LOVE war, where babies are blown apart and are considered "collateral" damage...but heck, war protects YOU so it's OK, right?

""Rape is an act of horrific violence against a woman, incest is also a rape, most times. I have no problem with a legitimate abortion for a rape victim.

I don't know how far along in the pregnancy where they can determine birth defects, but too far into a pregnancy and it starts to become murder for selfish motives, of not wishing to be burdened and inconvenienced.

When we start aborting babies because they will be born handicapped, then we are starting down a dark path. How far would gene sequencing of a fetus progress too, could we one day be able to tell parents their baby will be unattractive, prone to being chubby,or maybe even gay, blind, deaf, or dark skinned? Would we abort all but designer babies?
""Rape is an act of horrific violence against a woman, incest is also a rape, most times. I have no problem with a legitimate abortion for a rape victim.""

Why?

Who are you to decide that in an abortion due to rape
it's NOT killing a baby???

Nope, abortion is abortion no matter how the pregnancy started .

Because you think it's OK in the case of rape or incest but NOT OK in the case where a woman enjoyed the sex...it's OBVIOUS you just want to punish the woman who enjoyed the sex.....

Old 03-09-2012, 09:28 PM

38,034 posts, read 22,214,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
""Rape is an act of horrific violence against a woman, incest is also a rape, most times. I have no problem with a legitimate abortion for a rape victim.""

Why?

Who are you to decide that in an abortion due to rape
it's NOT killing a baby???

Nope, abortion is abortion no matter how the pregnancy started .

Because you think it's OK in the case of rape or incest but NOT OK in the case where a woman enjoyed the sex...it's OBVIOUS you just want to punish the woman who enjoyed the sex.....
Taking a morning after abortion pill for a rape, occurs at most, a day or so after the rape, and the fetus has not even started to form yet. I am not talking about a long term pregnancy here, as far as I'm concerned the fetus has not even started to form yet.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:38 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,072,717 times
Quote:
Then you will need to follow your God and I will need to follow mine and the both of us with need to be tolerant of each others.
Oh really? Then why do you want abortion banned?

You call forcing your beliefs on others by force being tolerant?

Old 03-10-2012, 12:43 AM

37,155 posts, read 42,278,198 times
Quote:
It's more than a burden and invonvenience, that's what you call your car battery being dead in the morning making you late for work.

When people choose to abort a fetus with severe disabilities the result is usually other children, healthy children, being born instead...just a little detail people usually leave out. See, whatever your beliefs someone isn't going to be here and someone is so...

Old 03-10-2012, 02:11 AM

10,250 posts, read 15,962,115 times
If you are truly "pro-CHOICE", then as you support a woman's right to choose an abortion, you should also support the right of a religious doctor to CHOOSE not to perform one. But Planned Parenthood seems to believe that doctors should not have this "choice". What do you have to say about this?

And its liberal hypocrisy that they would murder the most innocent of all, a child who never even had a chance to be born, but yet they refuse to put convicted murderers, drug dealers, and terrorists on the electric chair, and even want to let them out for good behavior after 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies