Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 05:44 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,812,365 times

Advertisements

I know there is no end to this abortion debate, but still I would like to make a few curious observations of my own, and invite a discussion.
  • "Pro-life" to me means, the protection of life. All life. Not just unborn fetuses. Yet, the Republicans who are madly "pro-life" have no issues dropping drones all over the Muslim world, killing countless innocents in the process. All in the name of "national security", "War on Terror", and all by now clichéd terms. How do they explain this hypocrisy?
  • x
  • Protection of life is nice and all, but I don't think people who are pro-choice are really the baby killers they are made out to be. Abortion is not a thing which is to be done lightly, and I don't consider myself to be in a position to judge the situation with some other couple's life, so I don't want to be making any decisions for them. If they wish to abort a child, I assume that they have VERY good reasons for doing so - who am I to judge? It's their child! Why should a bureaucrat decide for that family? Isn't this against the conservative creed of the family making the decisions rather than the government?
  • x
  • I can, somewhat sympathize with the idea of being pro-life, but what about cases of rape, incest and where the life of the mother is threatened? Most Republicans are not OK with abortion even in these circumstances, but have they really thought this through? If your daughter is raped, not only she is now humiliated, she has to carry the visible sign of that humiliation for 9 months and give birth to it? Who can unconditionally love that child? If this rape victim is married, isn't this child going to destroy her marriage? If you force the mother to have the baby and if the mother dies, how is it "pro-life"?
  • x
  • In the cases of rape and incest, an argument I often hear from the pro-lifers is that the mother can give up the baby for adoption. However, I don't see this as a viable option. However much the mother may hate the situation in which she got impregnated, she develops an attachment towards the baby throughout the pregnancy, and would find it difficult to just give the baby away. This doesn't necessarily mean that the mother will love the child either. At best, the child will be brought up in the mother's home, but it's highly likely that it will have a broken childhood.
  • x
  • The pro-life argument even extends to cases where it's learned during pregnancy that the child have birth disabilities. Is there any reason to destroy a perfectly happy couple's life with forcing them to have a disabled child? If the child is aborted, the couple will be hurt, sure, but it will pale in comparison to the magnitude of the hurt they will have to go through to care for a disabled child throughout their life, and to see that child being unable to cope with society. I see no compassion in this. Only stubborn selfishness.
  • x
  • Conservatives always complain about deadbeats on the dole. The usual kind who goes on the dole and becomes a deliberate freeloader is someone from a broken home who had a broken childhood, and who weren't loved by their parents. I am not generalizing, but you get the idea. If a couple is forced to bring forth into this world, a child which they didn't want, I am willing to wager that the child will end up being a financial burden on the society. Now, have the conservatives shot themselves in the foot or what?

Any pro-life conservative care to counter these?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 06:25 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
I know there is no end to this abortion debate, but still I would like to make a few curious observations of my own, and invite a discussion.
  • "Pro-life" to me means, the protection of life. All life. Not just unborn fetuses. Yet, the Republicans who are madly "pro-life" have no issues dropping drones all over the Muslim world, killing countless innocents in the process. All in the name of "national security", "War on Terror", and all by now clichéd terms. How do they explain this hypocrisy?
No hypocracy, just war theory, and not all pro life folks were in favor.
  • Quote:
    x
    Quote:
  • Protection of life is nice and all, but I don't think people who are pro-choice are really the baby killers they are made out to be. Abortion is not a thing which is to be done lightly, and I don't consider myself to be in a position to judge the situation with some other couple's life, so I don't want to be making any decisions for them. If they wish to abort a child, I assume that they have VERY good reasons for doing so - who am I to judge? It's their child! Why should a bureaucrat decide for that family? Isn't this against the conservative creed of the family making the decisions rather than the government?
I don't follow this line of thinking. pro life folks believe life begins at conception. No on e is forcing anyone to concieve. I am sure most folks on death row believe they have a good reason for murdering.The fact that they don't take a life lightly doesn't make it anymore right.

Quote:
x
Quote:
  • I can, somewhat sympathize with the idea of being pro-life, but what about cases of rape, incest and where the life of the mother is threatened? Most Republicans are not OK with abortion even in these circumstances, but have they really thought this through? If your daughter is raped, not only she is now humiliated, she has to carry the visible sign of that humiliation for 9 months and give birth to it? Who can unconditionally love that child? If this rape victim is married, isn't this child going to destroy her marriage? If you force the mother to have the baby and if the mother dies, how is it "pro-life"?
  • A D&C after rape or incest is permissible since they are done to prevent disease. Of course a D&C would eliminate any implantaion possibility.
    Quote:
    x
    Quote:
  • The pro-life argument even extends to cases where it's learned during pregnancy that the child have birth disabilities. Is there any reason to destroy a perfectly happy couple's life with forcing them to have a disabled child? If the child is aborted, the couple will be hurt, sure, but it will pale in comparison to the magnitude of the hurt they will have to go through to care for a disabled child throughout their life, and to see that child being unable to cope with society. I see no compassion in this. Only stubborn selfishness.
What happens if a child becomes disabled after birth, certainly the couples life would be destroyed. Shall we permit them to kill the kid? Most sane folks would say no. Geography doesn't make a difference.

x
Quote:
  • Conservatives always complain about deadbeats on the dole. The usual kind who goes on the dole and becomes a deliberate freeloader is someone from a broken home who had a broken childhood, and who weren't loved by their parents. I am not generalizing, but you get the idea. If a couple is forced to bring forth into this world, a child which they didn't want, I am willing to wager that the child will end up being a financial burden on the society. Now, have the conservatives shot themselves in the foot or what?
Another crazy argument. Should we prevent the same from reproducing? The answer to societies problems isn't killing babies.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:53 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,862 times
When I have more time I'll be glad to counter. I committed abortion in the seventies and am awake now as to what it is. It is not only murder but "torturous" murder where the baby's body is vacuumed apart, and they don't give the baby any anesthesia.

Torturous~

Twist and turn the subject any way you need or want to and it still cannot be made to be fine, okay or acceptable.

(Gotta get on the sofa shortly so I can see Hannity's show live, on FOX...we're vetting obama, finally.)

Old 03-07-2012, 07:13 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
I think instead of "pro-life", it should be "pro-choice".....most folks are all for life! BUT...sometimes, there are circumstances which could ruin your life....

Abortion shouldn't be the 1st choice, but it shouldn't be illegal, either. When it was, too many women died giving themselves abortions. It will happen whether it's legal or not. The least we can do is not to lose 2 lives...one is bad enough.

Sometimes, the only 2 choices are bad or worse.....at least, women should have the choice.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:05 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,524 times
It's pointless, as some people have philosophy based in reality and some don't. Some conservatives still can't answer the question as to what should be done with all of these babies. Or, who they are to tell another woman to put her body through 9 months of pregnancy to give it up for adoption.

Why should a woman be forced to pay for hospital visits just so some religious person with no critical thinking skills can feel better that their subjective morality has been imposed on others?

Old 03-07-2012, 08:08 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Kill your kid if you wish, just don't try and convince me to kill mine.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:15 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
When I have more time I'll be glad to counter. I committed abortion in the seventies and am awake now as to what it is. It is not only murder but "torturous" murder where the baby's body is vacuumed apart, and they don't give the baby any anesthesia.

Torturous~

Twist and turn the subject any way you need or want to and it still cannot be made to be fine, okay or acceptable.

(Gotta get on the sofa shortly so I can see Hannity's show live, on FOX...we're vetting obama, finally.)
Not sure if you know about this ministry--in case you don't here is the web site.

Rachel's Vineyard Ministries

Old 03-07-2012, 08:20 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
I think instead of "pro-life", it should be "pro-choice".....most folks are all for life! BUT...sometimes, there are circumstances which could ruin your life....

Abortion shouldn't be the 1st choice, but it shouldn't be illegal, either. When it was, too many women died giving themselves abortions. It will happen whether it's legal or not. The least we can do is not to lose 2 lives...one is bad enough.

Sometimes, the only 2 choices are bad or worse.....at least, women should have the choice.

That sounds good---if it were true but it's isn't. Making abortion legal hasn't changed anything, just more dead babies.

Abortion is the Unchoice

Old 03-07-2012, 08:23 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,087,650 times
It's about religious freedom. Abort your kids, yourself and I won't stop you, if it means that much to you.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:27 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post

Torturous~

So after your experience, what do you want done about abortion? Do you want a law passed requiring unwilling women to be forced to give birth with law breakers charged with murder? Do you also want all publishing and distributing of material instructing on how to perform abortion to be banned with violators severely punished?

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 03-07-2012 at 09:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies