Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 05:42 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times

Advertisements

They are. Joe Scarborough was quoting his wife, a life long Republican, and her friends all saying "Why and the hell are they talking about contraception, you need to tell your friends to shut the hell up." He was a former congressmen, but Scarborough warned about the over-reaction that Republicans had weeks ago, they didn't listen.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 05:55 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,104,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
What is there to spin? Everytime the US Government mandates something, you lose freedom.

Just beause healthcare is the issue doesn't make it any less true.

That's why forcing seatbelts on people are still an outrage to many people to this day.The outrage of not having to pay for under or non insured drivers being seriously injured or killed on the highway because they weren't wearing seat belts. The outrage of people losing their teens after a graduation party because they didn't have seatbelts, the pain of losing a baby because their car seat wasn't invented yet. Seriously, did you prefer the costs involved in all of that? Do you only listen to yourself talk. The government has mandated many, many many things for the betterment of the general population. Seat belts were just one, safer bumpers for cars, food safety, regulations that create a safer enviornment for humans that would end up costing the government later is a good thing. Only you anti goverenment types think differently. We could make a whole thread last for pages on just the mandates that keep us safe in this country, that saves the government and YOU billions of dollars. Seat belts being only one. The USG knows this....that's why "highway funding" was threatened for states who didn't comply.....because the Federal Government beleives it has all the answers for you and your health. It doesn't beleive you have the werewithal to do what's best for you.

Why do you believe that the USG knows what's best for you Katiana? Are people not capbable of doing what's best for them without USG interference, including saving a few dollars for copays and putting a seatbelt on at their own behest?

The point is that the USG doesn't know how to police itself.....and we have people that share your ideology that it should be able to do what it wants because the USG knows best.

America is circling the drain for a reason.......its' not a coincidence.
We aren't going to fall into the drain, we're held back by our seat belts. Bye Bye......

Old 03-10-2012, 10:13 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times
Quote:
Unlike my wife, I never had a college professor announce in class that he thought my gender did not belong in the college classroom but at home raising children, I was never date raped, I never had my ex-spouse refuse to pay child support, and I was never physically abused by my partner. So in the big picture, I think that I, like most men, have had an easier go of it than women have.
Thanks for your thoughts, but I must demur. The theoreticals to which you refer have direct counterparts which are regularly countenanced by our society, inlcuding false accusations of rape, and a wildly unfair legal system which punishes and incarcerates men (particularly minority men) at a rate many times that of women. Physical abuse occurs on both sides. but is rarely reported by men. Finally, the level playing field to which you refer includes an entire academic discipline (womens/gender studies) dedicated to demonizing men and reducing their already shrunken share of enrollments in higher education (approaching 40%, according to some statistics) -- a phenomenon which our society wholeheartedly endorses, as I am sure you do, as a second wrong which makes a right.

Discrimination is discrimination. The fact that some men discriminated against some women in the past cannot be reasonably taken to argue for discrimination against all men by everyone today...

Old 03-11-2012, 03:36 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,790,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Thanks for your thoughts, but I must demur. The theoreticals to which you refer have direct counterparts which are regularly countenanced by our society, inlcuding false accusations of rape, and a wildly unfair legal system which punishes and incarcerates men (particularly minority men) at a rate many times that of women. Physical abuse occurs on both sides. but is rarely reported by men. Finally, the level playing field to which you refer includes an entire academic discipline (womens/gender studies) dedicated to demonizing men and reducing their already shrunken share of enrollments in higher education (approaching 40%, according to some statistics) -- a phenomenon which our society wholeheartedly endorses, as I am sure you do, as a second wrong which makes a right.

Discrimination is discrimination. The fact that some men discriminated against some women in the past cannot be reasonably taken to argue for discrimination against all men by everyone today...
Competing for who is victimized more by the other? This is how your zero sum retarded game animating itself as an enemy at my half of the gender starts, and carries on unabated, to infinity. Are you really going to stand here and claim your marriage works this way? One strong arming the other into compliance?

Enough is enough. Males are not the ones in the morgue. Females are. Males are killed by overwhelming numbers by... MALES. Males incarcerated in larger numbers have a direct correlation to their violent habits which have nothing to do with women, but you're using this subject to blame all of womankind why males are violent.

Way to abdicate responsibility.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-16-2012 at 04:24 AM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 03-11-2012, 11:25 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Default Oh, But They Are!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/11/us...p.html?_r=3&hp
... what had been light conversation took a sharp turn toward the personal and political — specifically, the battle over access to birth control and other women’s health issues that have sprung to life on the Republican campaign trail in recent weeks.

Conservative women are concerned about losing their rights.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:01 PM

434 posts, read 685,104 times
Finally, the level playing field to which you refer includes an entire academic discipline (womens/gender studies) dedicated to demonizing men and reducing their already shrunken share of enrollments in higher education (approaching 40%, according to some statistics) -- a phenomenon which our society wholeheartedly endorses, as I am sure you do, as a second wrong which makes a right. [/quote]

I will limit my comments to the quote above. I, too, am aware that men are a minority at the 4-year colleges. I absolutely DO NOT endorse the "shrunken share of enrollments" of men in higher education. In addition to my daughter, I have two college-aged sons, both of whom are university students. What I have said in the past is that today's young women are outperforming young men, and that, in and of itself, is not bad. What is bad, is that the men are making it so easy for the young women to surpass them. Young men are struggling as a group in our country, especially young men of color. I find that tragic!

As for women's/gender studies demonizing men. Probably happens on a regular occasion, but I don't think women's/gender studies programs carry much aggregate weight in our country's higher education institutions. But that comes as no surprise to me because I think women, as a group, are undervalued except when it comes to bearing children and serving as mothers.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:28 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,104,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
60sfemi

"Why wouldn't you also want to REQUIRE that everyone pays something"?

Who is everyone?

That's not how Obamacare works.
Everyone? Self explanatory. Every able bodied person. Tell us.....how does Obamacare work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies