Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2012, 05:52 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Exactly right.

The same could be said. I agree with you. I think the Feminists far outnumber the religious right that you point to. The ones who will not bend.

That also diminishes their ability to vote on other issues that might improve things in America.

I don't know that we'll ever find a statistic on that. I think it depends on who you are keeping company with.

I work full-time in a building with several thousand people in it. Many, many women, most of who I would label as "feminists" probably in your worldview. They have always worked full-time, birthed between zero and 2.5 kids, highly educated as a rule, yet most of them are solid conservatives and I don't see/hear that they will be changing their votes based on the latest brouhaha over this contraception. The contraception stuff has barely registered with them but the personhood bills, ultrasound bills, have caused some mild outrage. It's hard to say how they will vote but I'm thinking the women's rights issues won't change them. The more likely scenario will be how their jobs/pensions are affected by Republicans.

I also keep company with many conservative Catholics due to my family associations and my kids. That is the hardest line group I have ever met. The government could cause them to live in the gutter, take away their voting rights, make them slaves, the list goes on but as long as the party sticks to anti-abortion, that's how they will vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 06:21 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,482,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I don't know that we'll ever find a statistic on that. I think it depends on who you are keeping company with.

I work full-time in a building with several thousand people in it. Many, many women, most of who I would label as "feminists" probably in your worldview. They have always worked full-time, birthed between zero and 2.5 kids, highly educated as a rule, yet most of them are solid conservatives and I don't see/hear that they will be changing their votes based on the latest brouhaha over this contraception. The contraception stuff has barely registered with them but the personhood bills, ultrasound bills, have caused some mild outrage. It's hard to say how they will vote but I'm thinking the women's rights issues won't change them. The more likely scenario will be how their jobs/pensions are affected by Republicans.

I also keep company with many conservative Catholics due to my family associations and my kids. That is the hardest line group I have ever met. The government could cause them to live in the gutter, take away their voting rights, make them slaves, the list goes on but as long as the party sticks to anti-abortion, that's how they will vote.

Hey, I'm all for women being equal. My whole argument has been that for a lot of self identified pro-choicers, political flexibility is not an option. They put a stake in the ground concerning abortive rights. They all got offended. They all yelled and hollered at me. They called me names and got nasty - as usual.

Also, when I started this thread, I wasn't pointing to conservative "feminists". I specifically said "Progressive Women". Their own political label. And we all know what they stand for.

They all got mad. But, I was right, Progressive women don't effect this nation's direction in any other way than by what a candidate's policy positions are - beyond his or her position on abortion. That is the most important issue.

Independent, Moderate and Conservative women may be more flexible.

Right now jobs is the most important issue. In my opinion Obama is not the best person to help this economy. For many women, voting for a Republican will make sense to help the economy and solve our spending problem. Progressive women will never, ever be able to do that.

They are slaves to one issue.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:24 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,376,187 times
Quote:
You can always change the channel.
LOL I'm enjoying seeing anecdotal evidence that the GOP is destroying itself far too much to do that.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:25 AM

434 posts, read 684,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I've seen wrestling teams, swimming, gymnastics, and other sports cut so that we could pretend to have women"s sports programs.
And before those men's sports teams were cut to make room for the women's teams, the women had little, if any, opportunity to compete at a high school level let alone a college level. Is it unfortunate that the men's teams were cut. Yes! But it was far, far more unfortunate that women went generations without the opportunity to compete at a level anywhere near men. My daughter is a much more confident and physically healthy young women than she would have been if she hadn't participated in sports, and I am very thankful for the opportunities afforded her because of Title IX.

And I don't think we are pretending to have women's sports. They have advanced to a level where they are very entertaining. But, I will say this, your remark about "pretending" to have women's sports programs is more than a tad misogynistic.

Last edited by slowdog101; 03-10-2012 at 07:43 AM..

Old 03-10-2012, 06:32 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdog101 View Post
I think liberal women would agree 100% with you when you say that "they are not useful idiots". I think they would say they aren't idiots at all. You, however, they would think, are an idiot! And I think they would be correct!
how many times i have to tell you guys grammar is not a sign of intelligence. would you liberal please stop it. your ignorance shows right through. like a freakin racist would!!now get back to the subject of stupid liberal women!!thanks!

Old 03-10-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
LOL I'm enjoying seeing anecdotal evidence that the GOP is destroying itself far too much to do that.

Enjoy.

When is Obama going to ask his PAC to return Bill Maher's million dollars?

Bill Maher calls women the "c" word. Imagine a Democrat being such a pig. You are supposed to be outraged. But you're not. So, you don't defend women anymore than anyone else. Neither does Obama - your Savior.

How can you be selectively offended? Because you're not what you say you are.

Last edited by Yooperkat; 03-10-2012 at 07:18 AM..

Old 03-10-2012, 07:45 AM

434 posts, read 684,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gysmo View Post
how many times i have to tell you guys grammar is not a sign of intelligence. would you liberal please stop it. your ignorance shows right through. like a freakin racist would!!now get back to the subject of stupid liberal women!!thanks!
OMG!! I really can't think of a more appropriate response at this point.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:04 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,623 times
Quote:
I don't know.

It seems like with all of today's either unwanted pregnancies or pregnancies to unwed women -- most of them aren't using birth control anyway.
Bingo - they can make BC "free" all they want - it's totally useless unless it's actually used!

Those dang consequences from actions taken - must be an evil right-wing plot against wimmin'!

Old 03-10-2012, 08:08 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
ALL Americans should be concerned about losing their rights. What's disturbing is that LIberal women don't recognize that the government mandating BC coverage is the OPENING SALVO to what is to come. If they can madate something you LIKE.....then they can mandate something you DON'T LIKE.

Liberals have never been known for their extraordinary foresight. It's all about the entitlement. Which is why this country is circling the drain.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
ALL Americans should be concerned about losing their rights. What's disturbing is that LIberal women don't recognize that the government mandating BC coverage is the OPENING SALVO to what is to come. If they can madate something you LIKE.....then they can mandate something you DON'T LIKE.

Liberals have never been known for their extraordinary foresight. It's all about the entitlement. Which is why this country is circling the drain.
Not only that ....

First of all this birth control thing wasn't a problem.

But, even when the Liberals perceive a problem their only solution in every instance is to throw more money at it. Which only makes things worse.

Dems will argue that the govt. isn't paying for this .... but someone will.

Guess who?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies