Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 06:41 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Politics: The Dead Zone - Reason Magazine

As interesting as the voters' rejection of zoning is where the decisive opposition came from: low-income residents. As tabulated by the [Houston] Post, 72 percent of "low-income blacks" and 68 percent of "low-mid-income whites" voted against zoning, results echoed by "affluent" voters (56 percent against) and "predominantly Hispanic" voters (58 percent). Middle-income voters, fearful of multi-family dwellings and mixed land-use encroachment in residential neighborhoods, strongly favored zoning, with 63 percent of whites and 56 percent of blacks casting ballots in favor of the legislation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 06:46 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times
Zoning issues are a case by case issue. Maybe eminent domain gets involved and you may really upset people.
It isn't a class thing, I think it is a case by case thing despite what anything statistically shows.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:58 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
Zoning is designed to be exclusionary -- basically saying what you cannot build somewhere, no what you can build somewhere. So when entire towns are zoned as single-family dwellings, they are saying, "we don't want low-income people here." This leads to people who cannot afford single-family dwellings being stuck in inner-city ghettos.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Zoning is designed to be exclusionary -- basically saying what you cannot build somewhere, no what you can build somewhere. So when entire towns are zoned as single-family dwellings, they are saying, "we don't want low-income people here." This leads to people who cannot afford single-family dwellings being stuck in inner-city ghettos.

But surely free-market conservatives would never do a thing like that.

Conservatives, what say you?

Old 03-10-2012, 10:00 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Live in Houston. We do just fine without zoning. If you want to have liberty to do pretty much as you wish with your property you buy in a neighborhood without an HOA, if ya don't want neighbors with a car on cinder blocks in the front yard you find a neighborhood with an HOA.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:21 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
But surely free-market conservatives would never do a thing like that.

Conservatives, what say you?
It's a form of gentrification of every square inch of America leaving no place for poor people to live. McMansion builders needed to lose their permits long ago. When the real demand was always for low income housing and none of it was being built people who could not afford a McMansion were in effect forced into them. A rigged market colluding with county officials who had nothing but gains in their eyes because higher sticker prices meant a higher tax base. There are only so many independently wealthy individuals in America. That's that. Whomever wants their grand mansion has to keep in mind that the people scrubbing their toilets need a place to live too. Writing the rules of your community that prohibits poor people living proximally to work means what?

I went house shopping in Virginia and NC and there were just too many of these nook gated communities choking the landscape. It was a real turn off. I prefer the company of hill folk any day over these silly anal retentives.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:27 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
Why do we assume that poor = trash? I don't care how big or small your house is. I've had less fortunate neighbors who kept their place as neat and tidy as they come and I've had rich neighbors who were slobs. Personally, I like what we found... a small (and I do mean small) little group of houses with no HOA, and about 3 restrictive covenants. No junk cars, appliances, and trash in your yard. End of story.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:40 AM

261 posts, read 357,484 times
Ugh zoning- would that be the same rule that requires building permits?Getting permission from the town to build a deck. That blows my mind.

Why are people against it? Because it goes against the very idea of freedom and ownership. If I want to build a garage and own the land why do I need permission to do it? It's my garage and my risk. It's not like its affecting the neighbors, they can't see my house or potential garage.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:30 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
It's also a safety issue having 5 families packed into a one family home -- but also a tax issue. It's common practice in some areas and when 5 families have the same taxes to pay as 1 family living in one house, it's a huge benefit to those 5 families. It's a mess on the streets with all the cars from those houses with many famillies parked up and down the streets.

Zoning should be done where the people want it. Let everyone have a choice to live where they want. If you want to have 30 people in hour household because your household consists of numerous families then you buy your house where the zoning allows for that.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's also a safety issue having 5 families packed into a one family home -- but also a tax issue. It's common practice in some areas and when 5 families have the same taxes to pay as 1 family living in one house, it's a huge benefit to those 5 families. It's a mess on the streets with all the cars from those houses with many famillies parked up and down the streets.

Zoning should be done where the people want it. Let everyone have a choice to live where they want. If you want to have 30 people in hour household because your household consists of numerous families then you buy your house where the zoning allows for that.

If 5 families are packed into a one family home, at least four probably are renting it (heck, probably all five). Obviously it's now worth a lot of money as a rental property and gets its taxes jacked up. They subsidize you. (I once lived in a duplex that had $1,200 extra property taxes because it was a rental - more renters equals subsidizing you.)

And there was a family of SIX renting the other unit, which was 2BR (but hey, who needs safety?) It was okay for the family of six to live in the unit but would have been unlawful (and costly with citations, fines, etc) for three unrelated to live in the same unit. Safety my eye.

Also, overnight parking was prohibited and rigorously enforced - just part of the code police patrols that inspected the rental neighborhoods day and night. No mess on the streets. At all. No zoning needed, just a parking ordinance. And no parking on lawns either, plus if there are "too many" cars in your driveway, the Neighborhood NIMBYs will report you for overoccupancy if the roving Code Police don't catch you first.

What's to stop people from zoning out the poor because they want it? Sometimes your zoning means poor people CAN'T live where they want. You certainly have a right to live where you want, but do you have a right to keep me from living where I want?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies