Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 08:30 PM

51 posts, read 242,911 times

Advertisements

I'm always puzzled that Americans seem to divide the world into 4 races - whites, Asians, Blacks and Jews. Realistically, the world is far, far more complex and suggesting there is a single "asian" people is counter-productive.

What do these people have in common?

1) A Muslim Pakistani soldier of Pathan origin, native language Urdu

2) A Flores Indonesian fisherman, Christian, of mixed Indonesian-Portuguese blood, native language Bahasa

3) A Cao Dao Buddhist Viet Namese doctor from Saigon, native language Viet Namese

4) A Buddhist monk from Pagan, Burma, native language Shan

5) A Hindu Tamil IT worker from Sri Lanka, native language Tamil

These people actually have nothing in common at all - not skin type, nor religion, nor language, nor lifestyle, nor genetic code nor ancestry nor common experience. Some may be natural enemies.

So why do so many Amercians' insist on referring to Asians and Blacks as if they were single people with single traits, habits, skills and faults?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 09:04 PM

2,040 posts, read 4,555,611 times
Unfortunately, most Americans cannot tell where a person comes from by just looking at them. I agree that not all persons of a certain look or coming from the same hemisphere should be lumped together but is there really a way for us not to do this? Most of us probably don't even know what peoples are enemies of others or what differences there are in the histories and cultures. If we see a "black" person, we don't know that they may be from the U.S., the islands, or Africa. All we reference in describing them (if we don't know them or have talked to them) is to base it on their appearance. Same for anyone we think looks "Asian". It may be offensive to the people we label but unfortunately, it is what it is.

I can say I have never said anyone is Jewish unless they have told me they are Jewish. I don't think they have a typical "look" and I always thought Jewish was a religion anyway and not a race.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:16 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times
One reason why I, always, when I need to fill in *race* in any application or whatever, put in *human* ...
Never got the questionnaire back yet !!!

Old 03-10-2012, 09:35 PM

57 posts, read 307,442 times
I don't know any Asians who are bothered by this term.

Just a few decades ago they were called "Oriental" or "Chinese" even if they were Korean, Japanese, Etc. If they were not Chinese they would calmly just correct the person and state the correct country they were from. Very rational. That was back in the days when a lot of people had a friend like "Data" (Jonathan Ke Quan - Very talented child actor from the 80s) but I think he was from Vietnam.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:56 PM

146 posts, read 306,437 times
Because " Asia " is the continent from where they came. The same as " North American" includes Canadians. "Europe" includes Brits who swear they are not European. In fact Scottish and Irish hate to be called Brits. I know my relatives in England include India and Pakistan when they speak in regard to " Asian " whereas myself would only think of Oriental. I know it all seems so confusing and stupid to always try to put everyone in a catagory. I never knew I was considered a " Caucasion" until I came to the US. You should not have to put these catagories on any job or college application.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:58 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Asian is a geographic term for the Asian continent and should not be used as a racial term.

Both Mongoloids and Caucasians populate the Asian continent, with Mongoloids in east and central Asia and Caucasians in west Asia.

(Jews are west Asian Caucasians.)

Old 03-10-2012, 10:00 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Obviously one could say the same thing about 'white.' What does the avg Greek from Megara have in common with a Sami reindeer herder from Finland? Or a Basque from Spain or France, or Russian from Vladviostock. But all are labeled as 'white.'

Even more ludicrous is the term 'people of color' which divides the world into 'white' and 'all others.'

Old 03-10-2012, 11:11 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times
I never understood it either, though from your numbers I would guess 3 and 4 could be lumped together into the same racial category.

There is nothing racially or culturally similar between someone from southern India and someone from Korea. I don't know why they are grouped together on the census as being the same. At the very least I think we should have an East Asian check box and a South Asian check box. Possibly a Western Asian check box as well as most West Asians (Arabs, Turks, Kurds) are very wrongly classified as white on our census.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:14 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Obviously one could say the same thing about 'white.' What does the avg Greek from Megara have in common with a Sami reindeer herder from Finland? Or a Basque from Spain or France, or Russian from Vladviostock. But all are labeled as 'white.'

Even more ludicrous is the term 'people of color' which divides the world into 'white' and 'all others.'
All of those groups you mentioned are white though (some Greeks and Russians maybe not). It makes sense to classify as the same.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:32 PM

51 posts, read 242,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I never understood it either, though from your numbers I would guess 3 and 4 could be lumped together into the same racial category.

There is nothing racially or culturally similar between someone from southern India and someone from Korea. I don't know why they are grouped together on the census as being the same. At the very least I think we should have an East Asian check box and a South Asian check box. Possibly a Western Asian check box as well as most West Asians (Arabs, Turks, Kurds) are very wrongly classified as white on our census.
Yeah, i would rather to label myself as east asian than the general term "asian" east asian, south asian,, southeast asian and west asian are entirely different groups
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies