Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 01:40 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,780,810 times

Advertisements

For as long as I can remember, Daylight Savings Time started on the last Sunday in April, and ended on the last Sunday in October. A bike ride I used to participate in (Ironman Century) in Minneapolis, usually ran on the last Sunday in April, with the first heat starting at 7:00 AM, and getting up that extra hour early was especially excruciating. Similarly, Halloween usually occurred right after the time change, making trick-or-treating that much "earlier".

The reasons were pretty clear - especially the reasons for having the change forward, exactly six months after the change back.

DST was an effort to make the sun come up closer to the same time every morning, whether winter or summer. Of course, it can never be exactly the same time. But this helped it be a little less wildly eccentric.

But now we have changed it for some reason. There are now EIGHT months between the change forward (today) and the change back (Mid-November).

What is the rationale, exactly, for having them eight months apart rather than six? I'm pretty baffled at this.

Some people tell me it's for energy saving. But others say that that's a phantom - people in most of the country who have an extra hour between getting home from work, and sundown, tend to run their air conditioners MORE at home for that hour in the summer; while the air condititoners at work don't get reduced for that extra hour. And people who will now get up an hour early, in early March instead of waiting till late April, will be turning on their lights more in that early time while fixing breakfast, getting the kids ready for school etc.

Also, some say that fewer pedestrians get run over in the evening after DST changes in March... but doesn't that simply mean that more will get run over in the morning?

I even heard one rumor (probably not true) that barbecue manufacturers got together to lobby Congress to change the clocks-forward change to March, so that people would have more barbecueing time in the evening and so they would buy more grills, sooner.

I liked it a lot better when we turned the clocks forward in late April, than doing it now in early March. Why did we change? I can't find ANY upside to this new way.

And no, I'd rather not move to Arizona or Indiana where they have never done DST at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 01:51 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,453,569 times
It was previously the 1st Sunday in April, not the last.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:55 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,269,864 times
It was a Bill signed into law in 2005. States were still allowed to determine when they observe DST Begin and End (since some states don't even observer DST):

Because of this bill:
Energy Policy Act of 2005

Energy Bill Would Extend Daylight Savings Time

Daylight Saving Time Extended - Daylight Saving Time Changes

All to save energy.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:55 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,033 times
It changed in 2007 thinking people would leave their lights on less if Daylight Savings was longer. Really, it ends up just being a wash because people use their cars more to enjoy the later hours of daylight.

If I were in charge, we'd be on DST year round. I hate the winter months when I go into work and it's dark and then I get out and it's dark -- nothing is more depressing. Nothing annoys me more than the switching.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:58 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,780,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
It was previously the 1st Sunday in April, not the last.
Last Sunday. Daylight Saving Time–first half of 1980

Old 03-11-2012, 01:59 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,324,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
If I were in charge, we'd be on DST year round. I hate the winter months when I go into work and it's dark and then I get out and it's dark -- nothing is more depressing. Nothing annoys me more than the switching.
Completely agree. I hate changing the clocks.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:13 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,453,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
It was changed to the first Sunday in 1987.

http://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/1987a.html

Old 03-11-2012, 02:23 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post

And no, I'd rather not move to Arizona or Indiana where they have never done DST at all.
LOL.. I used to live 5 miles from the part of Indiana that never changed. We'd be on the same time for 6 months, different for 6 months. The only thing good was I could work till 5 yet be home by 4:15..

Old 03-11-2012, 02:26 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
All because of this stupid "save energy" crap.

Caught me by surprise though. Didn't know about it until I logged into my computer and then thought the computer was wrong

Then I hunted down the time switch for 2012. Gee..and I was always so good about knowing this in the past but this year got me.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:27 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,838,708 times
The earlier in the year I get that extra hour of daylight the better. I could care less about the energy saving reasons, I just tire of darkness at 6pm when the weather is nicer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies