Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 03:01 PM

8,633 posts, read 9,144,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
As a health care provider that you said you were in the original post, I hope this statement isn't any indication of the quality of care your patients receive. I'm a huge proponent of self-responsibility, but since when do you or any of us get to decide what is or isn't reckless and dangerous? I don't think jumping out of a perfectly good airplane sounds safe, but there are those who enjoy it. Do we next start outlawing skydiving?

Not to mention that as a health care provider you of all people should know that there are tons of reasons for obesity including genetic predisposition, medicines, thyroid problems etc. Laziness and overeating are not the only reason for a lot of folks...
You are absolutely correct. So many people view others and pass judgment because of their appearance. I know someone who is very overweight because of the meds they are on. I know someone who looks completely normal who is ravaged by RSD/CRPS. You would think a health care provider would know this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 03:02 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
You are absolutely correct. So many people view others and pass judgment because of their appearance. I know someone who is very overweight because of the meds they are on. I know someone who looks completely normal who is ravaged by RSD/CRPS.
Lets be realistic though. How many people are overweight because they don't exercise and eat to much, and how many are obese because of health conditions beyond their control?

My bet, its more people that are fat because they are lazy and eat to much.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:08 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Care to elaborate on what you'd do to fix the healthcare system?
There is lots that needs fixing.

A)Lift the anti competitive legislation that allows so many insurance companies to dominate one market.

B)Lift the mandates for what an insurance company has to provide allowing companies to provide policies that just cover catastrophic/emergency care.

C)Tort reform.

D)Administrative costs need to be addressed, every dollar we spend on medical care 1/4 of it goes to paper work.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:09 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,219,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I hope in this instance you're wrong...This is a very slippery slope. If it passes, then what can the government not tell us we must do or buy?
YOU GET IT!

If only one could scream, in typeface, "There is no FAIR SHARE of slavery!"

Compulsory labor for the benefit of another, whether imposed by private or public authority, is slavery.

And if it was voluntary servitude, but the consent was acquired by FRAUD, it is equally repulsive.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:13 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
There is lots that needs fixing.

A)Lift the anti competitive legislation that allows so many insurance companies to dominate one market.

B)Lift the mandates for what an insurance company has to provide allowing companies to provide policies that just cover catastrophic/emergency care.

C)Tort reform.

D)Administrative costs need to be addressed, every dollar we spend on medical care 1/4 of it goes to paper work.
TORT reform isn't going to fix the healthcare costs.

I agree, lift the competition legislation out there. Thats a good one, but it still isn't going to have a market solution.

If we have mandated care, then we have to have a minimum of care mandated. Thats fixed with the single payer system, because you take out the "catastrophic/emergency" aspect, and only have the insurers compete for all of the extras that cost far less. Let the people decide. The problem is that insurance companies won't even cover the catastrophic when you had been paying in for years.

Its actually being debated on whether or not going electronic will lower the cost, or raise it.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:58 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Just the mandate but if that is removed the whole thing collapses. There is two main things in this law, the mandate you buy insurance and the provision an insurance company cannot deny you insurance. The insurance provision cannot survive without the mandate.
actually the whole law is going before the court. as i recall they are weighing in on the lawsuit from florida filed by 26 states where the individual mandate was declared unconstitutional, and that since there was no severability in the bill, the whole law was declared unconstitutional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Care to elaborate on what you'd do to fix the healthcare system?

Americans won't see people die in the streets from lack of care, thats why Reagans law has stayed in place.

So if we are going to make sure that everyone gets healthcare, how do we pay for that?
i have listed my ideas many times regarding health insurance reform, go back a read up on my old posts on the subject.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:03 PM

20,836 posts, read 17,115,957 times
so then you are suggesting that ALL freedoms can be taken away from the people? if so then we may as well change the president to a dictator, and eliminate congress and become a totalitarian country.[/quote]

No I am suggesting that people behave responsibly. Let's not get global.

Yes people should be forced to purchase health care insurance. And yes if they don't after repeated violations they should be counselled that the next time they will not be treated. It's a burden best shared.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
You are absolutely correct. So many people view others and pass judgment because of their appearance. I know someone who is very overweight because of the meds they are on. I know someone who looks completely normal who is ravaged by RSD/CRPS. You would think a health care provider would know this?
Your comments aside, appearance is not the criteria which stands alone. Non compliance with diet exercise medication and other variables are. These invariably lead to diabetes out of control which leads to cardiac pulmonary and obesity which you allude to. Nurses and doctors are ready targets, I would think that you would respect the training a bit more... seriously.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Your understanding is wrong because it doesn't, the fine is collected from the refund in your tax return. No tax return and there is nothing to collect from. The insurance company cannot deny you insurance therefore you can go withut insurance and get it only when you need it. Realistacally we now have situation where people that are now buying insurance could drop it.

There is no teeth to the mandate and it's very much open to abuse. The only way a mandate will work is if there actual fines, jail time, take peoples cars etc. There isn't a politician on either side of the aisle that is going to support that.
At least not publicly. The law will enforce health. I don't see that as a bad thing from my viewpoint. I also believe that the IRS will be used to enforce the law without a doubt though the public hew and cry will be limited. Facism? Nope. Common sense.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:13 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,940,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
so then you are suggesting that ALL freedoms can be taken away from the people? if so then we may as well change the president to a dictator, and eliminate congress and become a totalitarian country.
No I am suggesting that people behave responsibly. Let's not get global.

Yes people should be forced to purchase health care insurance. And yes if they don't after repeated violations they should be counselled that the next time they will not be treated. It's a burden best shared.[/quote]

Why should "I" be penalized and forced to pay for "YOUR" health care and financial irresponsibility? If you choose not to buy health care, you take the consequences of your actions. If you choose to practice an unhealthy life style, again, it is YOUR responsibility not mine. Stop pandering to irresponsible people and you will find that people will start accepting responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies