Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 04:13 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,171,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
This law will shape the future of our country. The supreme court has dedicated 3 full days to hear the arguments. The last time this happened was 1966 in the challenge to Voting Rights Act which supported fair elections. It should be clock stopping.

As an individual who has worked in health care for thirty years the most recent twenty as an emergency and intensive care nurse I would like to convey how important this law is for our country.

People object to it on the grounds that it forces people to pay for insurance or to pay for opting out. Most patients who are treated in the emergency room and intensive care and cost you and I millions upon billions. Most of these people don not have any insurance so we pay for it and the hospitals lose money. Our insurance costs go up. That is not the function of the law but the insurance companies covering their costs.

If the law is upheld the uninsured must pay for insurance. They must contribute. Liberty aside, the idea that someone can be reckless enough to drive without insurance is akin to this. I take care of hundreds of people who don't give a damn about your bill or your costs. They feel entitled to not pay. This law cures that ill over time and places these people in front of a doctor. Not only must they contribute but they must work with a doctor to control their bad habits which lead them to the ER and the ICU..for weeks.

So the person who sees this law as governmental control of liberty is the exception and the argument while holding water holds only a few drops. If you don't want to buy insurance who will pay for you when you have a crash, or a heart attack? Thats right. The price for your freedom is costing me and others. This laws promotes a healthy population. If you want your complete freedom you had better have the funds to pay for care.

This law fixes the issues. It really does and over time will make us a stronger nation.

If you are going to respond try to form an argument not just a label. K?

I disagree on many differing levels.

1. Driving is Privilege, and requires you earn a license, purchase a car, and Insurance.

2. Living is a right, not a privilege, and requiring someone to purchase something from a private entity is a violation of our constitution, no matter HOW much you think it's right, or makes things better.

3. If someone doesn't have insurance, and COULD have it through a job, and has elected not to, then by all means, require them to pay their own medical bills.

4. If someone is not in a position to have private health insurance, then I fully support a public option, however, those of us who have insurance, should be able to deduct from our taxes, that amount that we personally pay towards our insurance, as a deduction directly against taxes paid, vs income.

If you want to force people to pay for private insurance, then do so legally, and work towards a constitutional amendment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 04:18 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,171,011 times
So sorry, this dog doesn't hunt.

All you had to do to OPT OUT was to no longer be a sailor.

The law you are showing us all, affected you if you were a sailor, the NEW law, affects you if you are alive.

Again, to Opt out of the law you quoted, stop being a sailor, to Opt Out of the NEW law, you have to stop living. Not an acceptable solution as far as I can see.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:19 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,145,823 times
Quote:
so then you are suggesting that ALL freedoms can be taken away from the people? if so then we may as well change the president to a dictator, and eliminate congress and become a totalitarian country.

No I am suggesting that people behave responsibly. Let's not get global.

Yes people should be forced to purchase health care insurance. And yes if they don't after repeated violations they should be counselled that the next time they will not be treated. It's a burden best shared.
You want everyone to pay for health care, yet we hear complaints of having to pay for the 400 lb. ballerina's as you put it? Hypocrisy?

Old 03-12-2012, 04:41 PM

20,836 posts, read 17,115,957 times
I am suggesting that people be held accountable for their actions including our little tip toeing girl or boy who comes in with multiple medical problems and has neither the will or the desire to address their medical issues.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I disagree on many differing levels.

1. Driving is Privilege, and requires you earn a license, purchase a car, and Insurance.

2. Living is a right, not a privilege, and requiring someone to purchase something from a private entity is a violation of our constitution, no matter HOW much you think it's right, or makes things better.

3. If someone doesn't have insurance, and COULD have it through a job, and has elected not to, then by all means, require them to pay their own medical bills.

4. If someone is not in a position to have private health insurance, then I fully support a public option, however, those of us who have insurance, should be able to deduct from our taxes, that amount that we personally pay towards our insurance, as a deduction directly against taxes paid, vs income.

If you want to force people to pay for private insurance, then do so legally, and work towards a constitutional amendment.
1) Demanding through behavior that other people foot the bill for one's health care is neither a freedom or a right. The consitution ws written when living and dying were not mitigated by the progress in medical science since that time. It is a different time.

2)Being a responsible citizen means taking care of yourself.

3) agree.

4) agree

Old 03-12-2012, 04:46 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,940,850 times
Quote:
I am suggesting that people be held accountable for their actions including our little tip toeing girl or boy who comes in with multiple medical problems and has neither the will or the desire to address their medical issues.
No, you are suggesting a mandate that all are FORCED to comply with. That has absolutely nothing to do with holding people accountable for their actions. It is yet another act of government to pander to those who are irresponsible. Stop pandering to them!!!!

Old 03-12-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
No, you are suggesting a mandate that all are FORCED to comply with. That has absolutely nothing to do with holding people accountable for their actions. It is yet another act of government to pander to those who are irresponsible. Stop pandering to them!!!!
That is not my viewpoint. The focus of the health care law is to create behaviors which encourage healthy actions. I don't have an issue that that behavior is mandated seeing how many people are without insurance.

You do. We disagree.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:05 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,789,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Liberty is the ability to make whatever decision you want... plus the responsibility to live with the consequences.

Liberals construct their trap by removing the second part first. They pass laws mandating that hospitals treat people whether the people can pay for it or not (i.e. whether they have insurance or not).

Then responsible people complain that THEIR insurance premiums... and hospital costs... are going up even though they did nothing to increase those costs. And so the liberals say, "Well, we'll fix that problem."

And they then remove the first part of "liberty" second... by passing more laws, requiring everybody to have insurance.

See how it works?

Welcome to "the new normal" of Obama's America.
My, the leftist big-government fanatics are sure ducking this one.

Who can blame them?

Old 03-13-2012, 12:56 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
My, the leftist big-government fanatics are sure ducking this one.

Who can blame them?
Why are you quoting yourself?

I have yet to have you or anyone show me the Republican plan that will cover everyone, and pay for it.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
That is not my viewpoint. The focus of the health care law is to create behaviors which encourage healthy actions. I don't have an issue that that behavior is mandated seeing how many people are without insurance.

You do. We disagree.

You can't mandate behavior just like you can't mandate thought.
As they say..you can lead a horse to water...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies