Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 09:35 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,197,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
don't know what society you live in but it's still like that. doesn't matter b/c a few people want to push individuality because it's the popular thing to say. people as a whole aren't really as 'into this' as they like others to beleive. Be very different from the 'norm' and you'll see how that works out. Not very well.
Yeah, my optimism was showing. Society is still like this in general.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:18 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
I for one am sick of the current attempts at turning the society into a genderless/sexless pulp. I'm also sick of the word "person"! No, I'm not primarily a "person." I'm a woman and plan to continue being one.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:08 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,197,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I for one am sick of the current attempts at turning the society into a genderless/sexless pulp. I'm also sick of the word "person"! No, I'm not primarily a "person." I'm a woman and plan to continue being one.
I'll assume you're referring to something like boys playing with pink toys and not equal pay for women? Unless you're ok with being relegated to an intellectually stifled housewife just because a man tells you to.

A part of working towards a more egalitarian society is acknowledging that people are humans first and not canvases for makeup or power tools.

You can be ok with being a "woman", but there are over 7 billion people, all with their own definitions of what a woman should be.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:18 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
I'll assume you're referring to something like boys playing with pink toys and not equal pay for women? Unless you're ok with being relegated to an intellectually stifled housewife just because a man tells you to.

A part of working towards a more egalitarian society is acknowledging that people are humans first and not canvases for makeup or power tools.

You can be ok with being a "woman", but there are over 7 billion people, all with their own definitions of what a woman should be.
You've made all the good points in this thread, I've tried to rep you more but I gotta spread it around.

The fact of the matter is though is that people care too much about what others are doing with their lives and this is something I'll never understand. As long as that person's actions doesn't effect anyone else; I don't see why anyone should care about anyone elses lifestyle.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:26 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Well I don't like chick flicks and pretty much never watch them. I go for action, mysteries, or suspense for movies. I like to go to basketball games and watching basketball. I have never been a tomboy other than for a few weeks here and there.

Growing up I played with Barbies. I played Barbie Olympics (and pretended Barbie was a gynmast and was doing tumbling) or Barbie ski resort or Barbie car racing. I didn't play with Ken, he felt useless.

I played outside riding bikes, playing tag or capture the flag more than I played with my dolls as I kid, but I loved doing their hair.

I was the queen of the arcade and nintendo growing up (but these modern video games are way too complicated). I love to play pinball, air hockey and car racing games.

My first best friend was a guy, but most of my friends are female. I got to sporting events with my guy friends. And watch action movies. But some of my male friends like artsy/oscar movies and I avoid those like the plague.

I like shopping and care about style. I wear mostly skirts and dresses, but I am typically too lazy to wear makeup or spend lots of time on my hair. I only wear heels if I don't have to walk anywhere, otherwise I just wear practical flats.

I "cook like a man" and not a "woman." I experiment, I don't measure and I don't clean up as I go and use lots of dishes. (And then hate that I have a huge sink full of dishes to wash at the end.)

I love gadgets, I am typically a first adopter of most things, and I collect music.

I want to have a wedding, because I am really excited about planning the reception (and the playlist). I don't care about the dress.

No one would call me girly, but I am not a tomboy either.

I think there is a little more space to reject gender roles now for women, but men still don't have much space to "explore their feminine side."

Old 03-13-2012, 08:16 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
I notice some people, women in particular, make a big thing out of being a woman. Yes, I DO realise men are largely responsible for this, nor am I saying it's a bad thing...but it's like they strongly identify as a woman, rather than just as a person. Like they'll always say things like 'I did pretty good for a woman,' 'I'm a spunky girl,' 'girls should do this, or that'...always raising their gender as a reason to do something, or not to do something.
I never did, especially when I was younger. I admit now that I do when I can use it to my advantage. I milk it, baby. I find that most men respond well to it and will fall over themselves and pufff with pride to lift stuff and do icky jobs for me if I act like I cant do it because Im female.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:34 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
Yes, I'm gender-conscious.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:35 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I never did, especially when I was younger. I admit now that I do when I can use it to my advantage. I milk it, baby. I find that most men respond well to it and will fall over themselves and pufff with pride to lift stuff and do icky jobs for me if I act like I cant do it because Im female.
You are very naughty doing that

Old 03-13-2012, 08:49 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I do that in one situation - when I go to work on my vehicles at the Auto Crafts Shop, guys will ask if they can help. I let them.
It benefits them as much as (if not more) than it does me.

They want to get into the stall and I can take a long time trying to figure things out.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:10 AM

406 posts, read 770,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I notice some people, women in particular, make a big thing out of being a woman. Yes, I DO realise men are largely responsible for this, nor am I saying it's a bad thing...but it's like they strongly identify as a woman, rather than just as a person. Like they'll always say things like 'I did pretty good for a woman,' 'I'm a spunky girl,' 'girls should do this, or that'...always raising their gender as a reason to do something, or not to do something.

The opposite would be a guy who is afraid to do anything 'girly', who tends to play up his masculinity, his role as a 'man.'

People who tend to only have friends of their own sex, with stereotypical male or female interests would likely be more gender 'typical' or conscious.

Sometimes I feel kind of genderless. Being male feels 'right' to me - definitely not a transsexual, the idea of actually being a woman would seem weird, but I can imagine it. More it's all the societal pressures that women have to face. But a lot of the time I see myself as just a person, and when I relate to women it's seldom in a gender-conscious way. Sometimes I feel almost self-conscious to even raise gender, although it's probably because I'm shy. I guess having some a friend who is trans, and knowing some ***** people, or otherwise nerdy/non-mainstream people also has an affect on it.

But yes, some people are always saying things like 'guys will do this, or girls are like that' - it's like they make a big deal of gender. I would call such people very gender-conscious people, who see the differences more than the similarities.

Not bashing those who do...I know the genders are different, but generally I only raise points of differences when absolutely necessary.
I identify myself as a woman/girl/lady all the time. Why? Because I absolutely LOVE being femaie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.