Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2012, 05:07 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,505,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Based on newspaper articles I've read (drat that MSM), I have the impression that when cops stop a driver on the road, they often also run passenger IDs as well. (e.g. driver gets pulled over, cops find $$$ drugs in car, also arrest passenger on warrants.)
It will depend on state law, but for the most part, as a passenger in the vehicle, you have no legal responsibility--outside of identification--to do or say anything. This is, of course, only valid when an officer stops the vehicle for something the driver (or different passenger) was doing. You are not guilty by association by being in the car.

Again, you'll want to check your state laws, but for the most part, the only responsibility a person has to an officer during a stop is identification, so they know you are who you say you are. A driver's license is a convenient way of proving it, but you don't necessarily have to have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
The Constitution also only grants citizens the right to vote. So in order to honor it we must be sure that only citizens are voting. This isn't a right or left issue.
You have to be a citizen to register to vote. Why do we need to repeatedly validate that every time we vote? We did that when we first established our ability to vote.

And, by the way, these Voter ID laws, as someone else mentioned, don't really apply to anything but in-person voting--which there is like near-zero evidence to support. There have been a handful of these convictions in the past few decades.

So, what is the cost? Disenfranchise hundreds of thousands of voters in the name of three dead votes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 05:20 PM

59,185 posts, read 27,371,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Based on newspaper articles I've read (drat that MSM), I have the impression that when cops stop a driver on the road, they often also run passenger IDs as well. (e.g. driver gets pulled over, cops find $$$ drugs in car, also arrest passenger on warrants.)
I believe I read if you are walking down the street ( you may resemble someone who the police are looking for) a police officer can stop you and ask for ID. if you can't produce any he can take you in and hold you intil you CAN provide ID.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:24 PM

59,185 posts, read 27,371,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
What part of the thought that they may not want to have IDs do you misunderstand? They may choose to preserve their Constitutionally guaranteed right to be anonymous. And, please don't say that they should then not be allowed to vote, which is also Constitutionally guaranteed. You righties need to get over yourselves, all Americans, fortunately, do not think like you.
Please expound on this premise.

As far as I know every child born today is issued a Social Security card.

Every male upon reaching 18 has to register with the draft board.

I'm sure others could come up with more.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:25 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,206,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I love the mail in option. That way I can help out my ailing parents and it gives me the chance to vote 3 times. ID, we don't need no stinkin IDs.
Thanks for pointing out how 99.99% of all voter fraud takes place every election. Absentee ballot abuse, but the voter suppression laws the GOP are pushing does ZERO to fix that problem. If they want to stop voter fraud fix it, don't play games.

Enjoy your three votes.

Funny, the only other person on here that proudly claimed they cast multiple ballots with absantee ballots is a extreme wingnut that claimed they voted absentee ballots at each of their several homes.

Me and my wife cared for her parents into their 90's before we took them to vote we would talk about things but we never directed them to vote one way or the other. That was up to them. I would have never stolen their vote for myself...

Last edited by buzzards27; 03-15-2012 at 05:49 PM..

Old 03-15-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I believe I read if you are walking down the street ( you may resemble someone who the police are looking for) a police officer can stop you and ask for ID. if you can't produce any he can take you in and hold you intil you CAN provide ID.
Again, check your state laws. You'll usually find this kind of information under "Stop and Identify." If you're being detained by an officer (which would be the case you specific, reasonable suspicious you're involved in a crime), you can be stopped and required to provide some minimum amount of identification. Some states want just a name, others a DOB or SSN, etc.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:20 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,327,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
It will depend on state law, but for the most part, as a passenger in the vehicle, you have no legal responsibility--outside of identification--to do or say anything. This is, of course, only valid when an officer stops the vehicle for something the driver (or different passenger) was doing. You are not guilty by association by being in the car.

Again, you'll want to check your state laws, but for the most part, the only responsibility a person has to an officer during a stop is identification, so they know you are who you say you are. A driver's license is a convenient way of proving it, but you don't necessarily have to have it.

You have to be a citizen to register to vote. Why do we need to repeatedly validate that every time we vote? We did that when we first established our ability to vote.

And, by the way, these Voter ID laws, as someone else mentioned, don't really apply to anything but in-person voting--which there is like near-zero evidence to support. There have been a handful of these convictions in the past few decades.

So, what is the cost? Disenfranchise hundreds of thousands of voters in the name of three dead votes?
Obviously, showing a picture ID shows you are that citizen that regisered to vote in the first place. A few convictions don't mean anything. There are thousand of lawbreakers roaming around that haven't been "convicted" of their crimes yet. Why can't these so-called disenfranchised voters get a state issued ID? How did they register in the first place without their birth certificate and a picture ID? Why do you think we have to show our DL everytime we get stopped in a traffic situation? Sure we were already qualified to drive or we wouldn't have gotten one but how does the cop know who you are without showiing it?

Old 03-15-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Obviously, showing a picture ID shows you are that citizen that regisered to vote in the first place.
A photo-ID just has a name and a photo. It doesn't stop fradulent registrations, nor does it stop fraudulent absentee voting. It will disenfranchise thousands of voters across the country. That we can show.

Quote:
A few convictions don't mean anything. There are thousand of lawbreakers roaming around that haven't been "convicted" of their crimes yet.
Jesus H. Christ. know you not the law? Innocent until proven guilty. Convictions mean everything--otherwise it's assumptions and finger-pointing.

Like I've linked repeatedly on here, these cases have been studied. There have been a couple dozen convictions in the past few decades of cases brought to court.

That means, of the cases that were being actively tried by a court, where they had evidence to support their case, they found the fraudulent voting to be just a couple dozen over a period of decades.

Quote:
Why can't these so-called disenfranchised voters
They would be disenfranchised, not so-called.
Quote:
get a state issued ID?
Maybe they can't or do not want a State ID card. You've invented a problem, invented a solution, and now are trying to sell it on people who don't really understand either. It's like selling a vacuum cleaner to somebody that has fairy dust on their floors, or selling salvation to people who've sinned.

Why they are unable to get an ID is pretty irrelevant. The law isn't necessary to begin with. It disenfranchises voters, and it constitutes a poll-tax, which is construed in this case from being a material hurdle which must be overcome to vote. [1]

Quote:
How did they register in the first place without their birth certificate and a picture ID?
We're not talking about registering to vote. We're talking about voting at the polls, in-person voting, which has such a low number of voting fraud, you could chalk it up to statistical variance.

Quote:
Why do you think we have to show our DL everytime we get stopped in a traffic situation? Sure we were already qualified to drive or we wouldn't have gotten one but how does the cop know who you are without showiing it?
Driving isn't voting. Are you going to equate the constitutionally protected right of voting with driving an automobile?

Voter ID laws are designed to stop in-person voting fraud--a fraud that has pretty much zero occurrence nationally. It will not stop fraudulent registrations. It will not stop absentee voting fraud. It will prevent people from voting, notably politically vulnerable groups--the poor, elderly, racial minorities, and students--who otherwise may nor have or want the necessary ID.

I've said it before, and it bears repeating: This is a solution looking for a problem.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:19 PM

1,187 posts, read 996,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post

The point isn't that it's easy (a subjective term btw) to get an ID. It's that these new RESTRICTIONS on voting are forcing people that for whatever reason are not in positions to easily get the required docs to do what is one of the pinnacle rights of citizenship.
Yea, its so much easier for a business owner, like myself, working 60+ hrs a week to go and get a driver's license. How silly of me to think that someone in college not working at all could take the time to do it.

Give me a break!!! Everyone has a hard time getting to the dmv and yet everyone has to do it one time or another. It being hard is no excuse.

And the reason people are bringing up all the places you have to use your id is because some people are trying to claim they, or people they know, NEVER have to use it. Which is a bunch of bs.

Yes, if a person has stayed in the same house their entire lives, never changed banks, doctors, or anything else for the last 3 decades, they probably rarely had to use their Id. But that person is the exception not the rule. And in one specific example the person DID have an Id it was just an expired one that she had to use. So even the example proved the point that you do need an Id.

There is no reasonable or rational argument against these voter Id laws. Which is why the left is screaming racism....or as Andrew Klaven succinctly put it "SHUT UP".

Old 03-16-2012, 08:39 PM

823 posts, read 2,216,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
I've said it before, and it bears repeating: This is a solution looking for a problem.
The problem is obvious. Democrats are winning elections. Along with the anti-union pushes these laws are just another way to chip away at Democrats.

If Republicans were really concerned about voter fraud, they would be more concerned with who counts the votes than who casts them. Of course, you don't see them pushing for voting machines with a verifiable paper trail or anything that would safe guard the counting....I wonder why?

Old 03-16-2012, 08:41 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,486,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
The problem is obvious. Democrats are winning elections. Along with the anti-union pushes these laws are just another way to chip away at Democrats.

If Republicans were really concerned about voter fraud, they would be more concerned with who counts the votes than who casts them. Of course, you don't see them pushing for voting machines with a verifiable paper trail or anything that would safe guard the counting....I wonder why?
Nothing like quoting Stalin when referring to your opposition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies