Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 06:13 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,961 times

Advertisements

I say it doesn't.

Requiring an ID to vote isn't asking too much.

It costs more to get a permit to purchase and/or carry a firearm. Why does the left not care about the cost for that. It is a right to keep and bear arms.

I can't say how it is in every state, but in Iowa you used to have to go to the court house and fill out a request for purchase permit, and pay a fee. Sometimes you would have to <gasp> wait in line. Then at the store, you have to show an ID and fill out more forms.

In Illinois you need a FOID. That costs money and takes time.

Why is Eric Holder not blocking those requirements?

So, please tell me why Democrats are so opposed to the photo ID requirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 06:19 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
I say it doesn't.

Requiring an ID to vote isn't asking too much.

It costs more to get a permit to purchase and/or carry a firearm. Why does the left not care about the cost for that. It is a right to keep and bear arms.

I can't say how it is in every state, but in Iowa you used to have to go to the court house and fill out a request for purchase permit, and pay a fee. Sometimes you would have to <gasp> wait in line. Then at the store, you have to show an ID and fill out more forms.

In Illinois you need a FOID. That costs money and takes time.

Why is Eric Holder not blocking those requirements?

So, please tell me why Democrats are so opposed to the photo ID requirement.

You speak wisely! In the most left-leaning state of the union AND coincidentally map, also--Hawaii won't let anyone vote without a government, photo ID and the name on it must match the computer printout they have laying in front of them as voters check in.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:21 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times
I guess you're in a small minority.

Making someone drive as far as 176 miles to get the REQUIRED photo ID is one way. Sending a 86 year old veteran home without voting because his photo ID didn't have his address on it, is another.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:21 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
According to Democrats, poor people, the elderly, students, and brown people are too ignorant to know how to get a photo ID. That's the only rationale that can be deduced from Dems' efforts to protest voter ID laws.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:23 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
I find it funny... in states that don't have Photo ID laws to vote and decide to make it law... its suppressing the voters... however in states that already have Photo ID laws... not a peep from the federal government... do they take all Democrats to be retards, of course they do, don't you see the outrage on TV... Democrats are idiots... what do you mean there are already laws like that in other states... OMG!

Old 03-12-2012, 06:24 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,675,395 times
It unlawfully discriminates against classes of people.

Texas DOJ explains:

DOJ Objects To Texas Voter ID Law; Says It Would Have Unfair Impact On Hispanics | TPMMuckraker

Wisconsin judges agree:

Judge rules voter ID law unconstitutional - JSOnline

Minnesota Democrats propose compromise in the form of electronic poll books that wouldn't disenfranchise anyone, Republicans say no way, Jose:

DFLers push for photo ID alternative | StarTribune.com

Old 03-12-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
I guess you're in a small minority.

Making someone drive as far as 176 miles to get the REQUIRED photo ID is one way. Sending a 86 year old veteran home without voting because his photo ID didn't have his address on it.
Sometimes there are consequences to living in the middle of nowhere.

Better the 86-year-old pays for his mistake than to let a bunch of illegal aliens vote or citizens vote in multiple locations.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:28 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
According to Democrats, poor people, the elderly, students, and brown people are too ignorant to know how to get a photo ID. That's the only rationale that can be deduced from Dems' efforts to protest voter ID laws.
Which democrats said that?

Old 03-12-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
It unlawfully discriminates against classes of people.

Texas DOJ explains:

DOJ Objects To Texas Voter ID Law; Says It Would Have Unfair Impact On Hispanics | TPMMuckraker

Wisconsin judges agree:

Judge rules voter ID law unconstitutional - JSOnline

Minnesota Democrats propose compromise in the form of electronic poll books that wouldn't disenfranchise anyone, Republicans say no way, Jose:

DFLers push for photo ID alternative | StarTribune.com
So tell me how this discriminates. Does it let white people vote without an ID and require others to show an ID? Or does it apply the law equally?

Old 03-12-2012, 06:30 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times
One way I've heard that VoterID "suppresses" voting, is when illegal aliens realize that there might be a cop or two (or ICE agent etc.) at the polling place, and so they don't go there... but that's just the half of it, the parts the Democrats don't mention.

What they DO mention, is that ALL Hispanics, legal and illegal alike, might believe that Border Patrol or ICE agents are harassing and throwing in jail everybody who even looks Hispanic.

In other words, the Hispanics might believe Democrats' lies, and so stay away from the polls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies