Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 02:58 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times

Advertisements

I did notice that and fully support equal opportunity across the board, except maybe on a submarine. I can't figure out how to do that one without people just being too close to temptation, they really are that small..
and a guy I used to work with went to Afghan with some people from an agency and did a lot of beard growing and hair lengthening. He said it was some of the most fun he's ever had...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 04:20 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
great pictures lionking, few questions though. Are they personal pictures? Was that guy with the beard a Blackwater merc? and what was that medium sized thing to strike the face? looks like it would hurt a little

great pictures though, feel free to post more
I couldn't tell one hundred percent but it looked like an armor plate that you put in your flak vest.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:51 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
The bearded guy? Did you notice the pained expression? I was ordered to grow my hair and my beard in Desert Storm. All I can say, "Damn it was hot."

Old 09-12-2007, 06:03 PM

454 posts, read 1,339,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle View Post
What do you think?
The soldiers? Noooooooooooo!!! Too many are on food stamps and can't afford basic necessities.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:07 PM

989 posts, read 2,761,881 times
Quote:
great pictures lionking, few questions though. Are they personal pictures? Was that guy with the beard a Blackwater merc? and what was that medium sized thing to strike the face? looks like it would hurt a little

I'm not sure, but I think the plate was a piece of that new armor that they have recently started giving to our troops (older armor couldn't stop a rifle bullet).

The guy with the beard is (I think) a member of the US Special Forces working in Afghanistan... for a while they were growing out their hair and beards because that is the local custom and they found it was much easier to establish close working ties with them. As a side note, I remember it made the news a while ago because a visiting Colonel saw them with beards, flipped out, and ordered them to get shaved and have high-and-tight haircuts... it of course resulted in worsened relations. It made me upset because I felt that they were not nearly as focused on "getting the job done" as they were with enforcing "on the side" rules that were not directly related to conduct (similar in my mind to them firing dozens of Arab translators for being gay in a time when we REALLY need to get some translating done...) Lives were put at risk in both cases, I think.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:25 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
Yes, the dreaded officer that puts looks ahead of the mission.. I always hated working for them. We had this one fool on a ship I rode that made us wipe down the outside walls of the ship every morning so they wouldn't have salt spray.. If anyone has ever been on a guided missile cruiser, they'll tell you that the salt water spray returned immediately after we wiped it down.. totally stupid..

I'll leave the second part alone.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:29 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,293,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlevo View Post
If you are talking "non-war" times, then it really depends. Most jobs that require a college education or specialized skills (aircraft mechanic, etc) can make more on the "outside" (esp the "General/Admiral" type of jobs). The military is one of the few places were you can get paid a decent amount of $$ for never thinking and simply doing what you are told (although the military is much more difficult, there are several jobs that don't require you to think any harder than the fry-cook at McDonald's). They still don't get paid enough because they always have the risk of war, have many freedoms taken away that people take for granted (like weekends, sitting on couches sometimes, etc), and they can't quit of they don't like it until 4 years later.
Well, I'm just going to continue playing a little bit of devil's advocate here. If nothing else I'll learn more.

There are many that join the military as a last-ditch effort to receive training in some aspect. Yes they get paid, but money isn't the only thing they're receiving..... You can get paid money for not thinking more than a fry-cook, but can also receive technical training so you WILL have some marketable skill when you exit the army.

This is what I see..... An opportunity for a goal-oriented individual who is down on his/her luck being given an opportunity to learn a skill or trade that they can use in civilian life and in the meantime given sustenance and a minimal wage.

In return, you are committed to service of your country and pretty much have to go where they tell you to go and do what they want you to do for four years.....

Seems fair..... Where am I going wrong here??? (again, not meant to raise anyone's ire, but this is what MANY MANY people use the military for. Those that don't are usually career-oriented soldiers who WILL eventually get the pay....).

Old 09-12-2007, 08:44 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,391,107 times
Quote:

sure man a couple more for rd2007.....

Old 09-12-2007, 08:52 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,680,554 times
Whatever they're making, doubt it's "enough." Civilians uproot from their hometowns, with family in tow, for jobs "if the money's right." These guys go where? and leave their families for how much?

They probably make less than our Police Officers do (another underpaid profession, IMO.)

Old 09-12-2007, 08:55 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,391,107 times
hmm,I like posting these,here are more.Images most people don't see usually.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies