Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2012, 07:19 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,772,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
If the SHOE fits????? Ahem! We just had a case in Miami where a guy was having his car radio being ripped off & was alerted by his roommate. This man ran after the thief and chased him down & brutally stabbed him to death. The judge dismessed the charges of first degree murder under the "Stand your Ground" law.
As a Floridian I do blame the gun nut crazy NRA & Jeb Bush for signing this into Law.
Good example for my earlier comment.

I mean it literally leaves ways open to legaly kill someone: Example, I don't like "John" so I decide I'm going to agitate him next time I see him on the street. I succeed in agitating John so he comes towards me (maybe saying "what did you say about me?"). I suddenly "fear" for my life and shoot the guy. You would have a good chance getting off in this scenario under the current law.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:19 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,429,643 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Bologna. There is a wealth of information about this case, both in print and on the televised news. If Zimmerman thought that Trayvon was a threat, why did he get out of his truck?
According to Zimmerman he had lost Trayvon was walking back to his truck when Trayvon jumped him from behind. The wound to the back of his head as described in the police report lends credance to his story.
Quote:
Why did he disregard the 911 dispatcher's advice?
As far as I know Americans are not compelled to follow the directions of a lowly paid 911 dispatcher.

Quote:
Why did he assume that it was his duty to chase down a young Black man in an integrated gated community?
He had been sucessful in assisting the police apprehend other criminals who were preying on the community, most of whom were wait for it.....Black.

Quote:
Why did the police ask Zimmerman a few questions then let him go, without drug and alcohol testing or taking his bloody clothing as evidence?
What you think every case is an OJ trial? My guess is his injuries led them to believe that Zimmerman's story was plausible. In hindsight they probably should have done a more thorough job though.

Quote:
Why was the murder weapon not confiscated?
It was read the report.

Quote:
Why did an officer at the scene push a witness to change her testimony?
I need a link for that. Haven't heard that one.

Quote:
Having possession of Trayvon's cell phone, why did the police hold it for 3 days without calling the number of the last out-going call?
Maybe they didn't feel like it. I don't know. Is this standard police operating procedure?

Quote:
Why didn't Zimmerman stay in his truck when following Trayvon if he felt that he was a criminal?
You've already asked this question in the same post see above for response.
Quote:
Is it rational to pursue someone that you've just reported to 911 as a possible criminal?
Yes because you don't want the criminal to get away. The police will take anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes to arrive more than enough time for a thug to make their escape. Although following from a distance if one chooses to follow is advisable.

Quote:
How does the SYG law cover someone not protecting their own property?
I don't know but I suspect it protects someone who is in the process of being pummelled in the face while someone is on top of them.
Quote:

Having assaulted a police officer in the past, why did Zimmerman have a gun?
Was he convicted?

Quote:
Zimmerman's story doesn't make sense; he's either a liar or a fool. Neither choice makes him a victim. The victim is dead, and fodder for internet
bullies to demean and slander. That's revolting.
Doesn't make sense to you, it makes sense to me. Either way thankfully we have a constitution and professionals who are well versed in the law who can work to make an appropriate determination of facts.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:20 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,755,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
And there is also this:

Anderson Cooper Interviews Witnesses To Trayvon Martin Shooting | Mediaite

And this:

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

I don't believe anything the Sanford Police Department has to say...
Why, because they're white, what if they were all black, would you believe them then?

Old 03-23-2012, 07:23 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,755,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Too late. On the HBO's the Wire, a gangbanger once said something that was pretty profound...

"If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie"

You can't call off the dogs of war.
Profound? It's asinine.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:25 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,114,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Why, because they're white, what if they were all black, would you believe them then?
No, not because they are white. Because they have already proven that they are either the most incompetent police force since Barney Fife pinned on a badge or else they are the deliberately dishonest by covering up for a murderer.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:27 AM

994 posts, read 725,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
There are "007" (License to Kill) Laws in several States. In Fla, since Bush made it Law, the number of "justifiable" deaths has gone up 283%. Clearly good for gun & ammo sales.
Has the number of deaths overall gone up by a significant amount or is this just reclassifying an existing rate of deaths?

Old 03-23-2012, 07:27 AM

24,422 posts, read 23,084,509 times
I've been reading up on George Zimmerman and as one journalist put it, he's hard to pigeonhole. Half white( german), half peruvian. He has black relatives. I think that further makes it harder to re invent this into a race based incident but people love to profile and project.
As a white person, I'd be leery of encountering this Rambo/ Barney Fife goof. You walk in this guys " territory" and he'd challenge you no matter what your race or ethnicity.
What it appears you have is a goof who desperately wants to be a cop sees what he classifies as a suspicious person and goes Rambo on him. A fight ensues and both bloody each other and he loses it and shoots the young man. I don't see that as self defense. The local police pull a boner and don't investigate he case as thoroughly as they could although they did question him for several hours. No conspiracy, just poor police work and a rush to a decision. But public opinion demands justice. Now the media joins in eager to exploit it along with some others. And people want attention so they'll hold rallies but won't actually lift a finger to do anything productive.
So what happens? I think Zimmerman will be found guilty but not of any kind of hate crime. But he's got no money. The parents will sue the police department, more power to them. The bloodsucking lawyers will get their share. Al Sharpton will get his ugly face in the spotlight for a bit and relive his glory days.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:36 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,915,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Bologna. There is a wealth of information about this case, both in print and on the televised news. If Zimmerman thought that Trayvon was a threat, why did he get out of his truck?
It's possible that he didn't think he was a threat at the moment....just some punk trying to loot. It's actually a notion that gives Trayvon the benefit of the doubt.

Quote:
Why did he disregard the 911 dispatcher's advice?
Because it wasn't enforcement. Dispatch has to say that to cover their a**. Let's say that Zimmerman ended up getting shot by Martin..What would have been the outcome had dispatch told him it was OK to follow? It would have been a massive civil suit.. MASSIVE

Quote:
Why did he assume that it was his duty to chase down a young Black man in an integrated gated community?
Because maybe he cares about his community??? I know it's a crazy thought...but maybe more communities would be better if people looked out for them? What does him being black have to do with it? Nothing.

Quote:
Why did the police ask Zimmerman a few questions then let him go, without drug and alcohol testing or taking his bloody clothing as evidence?
That is poor police work. But that does not change the fact we do not know what escalated the incident to deadly measures.

Quote:
Why was the murder weapon not confiscated?
Why should it have been?? He is registered, they know where to find it. Ballistics will trace the gun right to Zimmerman. He admitted he killed him.

Quote:
Why did an officer at the scene push a witness to change her testimony?
Prove this.

Quote:
Having possession of Trayvon's cell phone, why did the police hold it for 3 days without calling the number of the last out-going call?
They did call it though. What does when they called matter?

Quote:
Why didn't Zimmerman stay in his truck when following Trayvon if he felt that he was a criminal?
Because maybe he didn't fear his life... AT THE MOMENT

Quote:
Is it rational to pursue
someone that you've just reported to 911 as a possible criminal?
I don't know?? Zimmerman obviously watched one too many Charles Bronson flicks....And I don't know what he was thinking and neither do you.

Quote:
How does the SYG law cover someone not protecting their own property?
If you are getting beaten half to death in a parking lot, for example, are you poised enough to double check for witnesses to make sure somebody sees what materialized before you kill somebody??

I'm sorry that humans haven't evolved enough to practice due diligence while being murdered.

Quote:
Having assaulted a police officer in the past, why did Zimmerman have a gun?
Do you know the details of that assault?? I don't. Was it simple (verbal) assault? Why was it dropped? Is it even legit?

Quote:
Zimmerman's story doesn't make sense; he's either a liar or a fool.
Do you believe that Trayvons family, lawyer or girlfriend lied or will lie in regards to this case?

Quote:
Neither choice makes him a victim. The victim is dead, and fodder for internet
bullies to demean and slander. That's revolting.
The victim is dead but there is simply not enough evidence to say what actually brought it to that point. Yes, he was pursued but all we can tell is it was passively-aggressively. We do not know what brought it to the struggle. It is very possible that Zimmerman was ambushed.

If Trayvon was so scared and just trying to get home.....Why did he call his girlfriend? Why didn't he run straight home? He was an athlete!

It's very possible he wanted to prove he wasn't a "punk" and stand his ground... Especially with his girl on the phone.... Did that ever occur to you? There is such a thing called machismo... Would have made a great story to tell his girl as soon as he got home how he knocked out the dude who was following him...

It would be unfortunate if the kid would have died in such a stupid way.....But it is absolutely not beyond the scope of reality.

LML

7,100 posts, read 9,114,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
NYG has demonstrated this throughout the thread - he said that Trayvon lived in the gated community(which is false), he assumed that a black shooter would automatically be arrested if their was suspicion that they had killed a white person (that was proven to be fale with my link to the Trevor Dooley case) and he is all for lynching Zimmerman before the man has even been charged let alone tried and convicted. This guy is scary - he doesn't bother to do basic research - and operates entirely on emotion with very little reasoning. Wow!
Look at all the people who make the assumption that because it was a black kid who was shot then he must have deserved it. And if you honestly think that trotting out one case erases the hundreds of years and hundreds of thousands of cases where white people have murdered black people and walked away free then it is you who doesn't know what you are talking about.

5,767 posts, read 5,018,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
No, not because they are white. Because they have already proven that they are either the most incompetent police force since Barney Fife pinned on a badge or else they are the deliberately dishonest by covering up for a murderer.

How about both incompetent AND deliberately dishonest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies