Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 07:02 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,987,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FistFightingHairdresser View Post
Hi,

OK. But this still doesn't say what the superhighway is supposed to be. Will it use the existing interstate system? Will there be new road built? How big will it be? This is germane to the whole discusion.

Nobody seems to be addressing the original statement that this is going to be some 400 yard wide road from Mexico to Kansas City. I'm sure Congressman Paul is opposing something, but I find it hard to believe anyone it considering building a gargantuan strip of pavement across the continent.
Newamericandotcom Aug. 7,2006 entitled: "Coming Through! The NAFTA Superhighway by Kelly Taylor.
[color="Blue"]"All across America, mammoth construction projects are preparing to launch. The NAFTA Super Highway is on a fast track and it's headed your way. If you don't help derail it, you may soon be run over by it - both figuratively and literally.
In Texas, the NAFTA Super Highway is being sold as the Trans Texas Corridor.... Moderator cut: copyrights

Last edited by Yac; 10-22-2006 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: copyrights
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2006, 08:08 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Default Money and Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Thanks for the tips, I will look at these suggestions.

I'm having trouble buying into the whole "secrecy" thing. The media seems to hate Bush (as do I) and I would imagine they would love to broadcast anything that would be negative.
The problem is that the major news networks are owned and run by cronies of the 'elite'. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but when looked at objectively it's really hard not to believe in a conspiracy. The television networks also own newspapers, radio stations, magazines, movie theaters and studios...and there are fewer and fewer independent outlets. Of course, they aren't going to let us know when we are about to be, well, raped, for want of a better word. Read Michael Moore's book, Dude, Where's My Country?. Among other things it explains why we haven't caught up with Osama bin Laden yet. This administration will NEVER get him; he's a friend of the Bush family!

This country is turning into a feudal society; the ultra rich and the poor. America is dying, especially under this administration. And there are two more years left, God knows what damage will be done in that time.

Old 10-21-2006, 08:22 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,987,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
The problem is that the major news networks are owned and run by cronies of the 'elite'. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but when looked at objectively it's really hard not to believe in a conspiracy. The television networks also own newspapers, radio stations, magazines, movie theaters and studios...and there are fewer and fewer independent outlets. Of course, they aren't going to let us know when we are about to be, well, raped, for want of a better word. Read Michael Moore's book, Dude, Where's My Country?. Among other things it explains why we haven't caught up with Osama bin Laden yet. This administration will NEVER get him; he's a friend of the Bush family!

This country is turning into a feudal society; the ultra rich and the poor. America is dying, especially under this administration. And there are two more years left, God knows what damage will be done in that time.
That's why I'm voting against the Republican incumbent for MO. in the Senate in November Fox. I'm voting for the Republican House incumbent who's voted against illegal wiretapping of Americans, amnesty and guest worker programs which won't work (it's been done before), etc. . This nut in the White House has to be checked, not just him, but Cheney and the man whose failures the President refuses to acknowledge and won't fire..Donald Rumsfeld. I don't think the Democrats can run the country any more efficiently or better than most Republicans, and I'm encouraged by Republicans in the House who've checked the Senate Republicans and Bush. The Senate needs major cleaning. While I don't see it yet, if we slip into a major economic recession/depression, there's beginning to be a vibe in this country that could lead to open rebellion against the government at some point. I think Bush & Co. has singlehandedly endangered the stability of this nation and it has to be stopped.

Old 10-21-2006, 08:43 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
That's why I'm voting against the Republican incumbent for MO. in the Senate in November Fox. I'm voting for the Republican House incumbent who's voted against illegal wiretapping of Americans, amnesty and guest worker programs which won't work (it's been done before), etc. . This nut in the White House has to be checked, not just him, but Cheney and the man whose failures the President refuses to acknowledge and won't fire..Donald Rumsfeld. I don't think the Democrats can run the country any more efficiently or better than most Republicans, and I'm encouraged by Republicans in the House who've checked the Senate Republicans and Bush. The Senate needs major cleaning. While I don't see it yet, if we slip into a major economic recession/depression, there's beginning to be a vibe in this country that could lead to open rebellion against the government at some point. I think Bush & Co. has singlehandedly endangered the stability of this nation and it has to be stopped.
Uh oh, I think I just lost my post, accidentaly hit a button on the keyboard and it disappeared! Anyway, I just don't trust anyone in government now. Dems are trying to get the Latino vote, Reps are trying to distance themselves from Bush's failed policies....I don't know WHO to vote for.

Old 10-21-2006, 08:56 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I don't know WHO to vote for.
I was a Republican for many years, but a year ago I got sick of both corrupted parties and joined the Constitution Party [http://www.constitutionparty.com/] (broken link) they are inline with what needs to be done, and what most Americans stand for check them out!

Old 10-22-2006, 03:37 AM

753 posts, read 759,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Newamericandotcom [b]Aug. 7,2006 entitled: "Coming Through! The NAFTA Superhighway by Kelly Taylor
Hi,

So now we can talk to the sources. Thanks for posting. My comment on this is that devising a scheme like this is one thing, executing it is quite another. From what I read this is an abortion of a project.

Practicalities will kill this proposal before it gets off the ground. Maintaining the current blacktop and bridge infrastructure stretches the abilities of the DOT. Will we manage this with the help of our Mexican compadres? I don't reckon so.
The 400 yard wide thing reads to me as a right-of-way, not necessarily a paved strip. Which is more realistic than what was said in the original posting. Even so, how could they possibly have the ability to add more gas, rail and power lines to this corridor when we can't extend the capacity of our existing infrastructure? Again, saying it is one thing, doing it is another.

I may be a pollyanna here but I'm not worried in the slightest. This is a conspiracy going nowhere. I have the highest faith in the incompetence of those who are elected for us.

Old 10-28-2006, 07:16 PM

19 posts, read 70,741 times
Exclamation Nafta Superhighway through Oklahoma City

This four football field wide highway is slated to begin development within the next few years. It will connect Mexico the Canada via one of the highways through Oklahoma, as of right now the plans are Interstate 35. With the Eminent Domian issue, what would my property be worth when these plans go through? This issue is becoming a hot topic and can be found easily by doing a search on Nafta Superhighway or Nasco Corridor.

Old 10-29-2006, 06:41 PM

753 posts, read 759,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azbec View Post
This four football field wide highway is slated to begin development within the next few years. It will connect Mexico the Canada via one of the highways through Oklahoma, as of right now the plans are Interstate 35. With the Eminent Domian issue, what would my property be worth when these plans go through? This issue is becoming a hot topic and can be found easily by doing a search on Nafta Superhighway or Nasco Corridor.
Hi,
Terms like "Slated to begin", "within the next few years" and "right now there are plans" are shorthand for "ain't never gonna happen".

I wouldn't worry about it. Your property won't see a scratch.

Old 10-29-2006, 06:56 PM

16 posts, read 127,850 times
I am horrified by NAFTA in general and still have most of my family in Missouri. If I can reassure you however, I live in the Houston area about 10 miles from Hway 59. If the same people are working on this thoroughfare as are otherwise working on the highways in Texas, you guys will never see it up there. They define slow and incompetent, even more than most places. They have been working on one overpass near here for almost 4 years and it just keeps getting worse.

Old 10-29-2006, 07:06 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbear View Post
I am horrified by NAFTA in general and still have most of my family in Missouri. If I can reassure you however, I live in the Houston area about 10 miles from Hway 59. If the same people are working on this thoroughfare as are otherwise working on the highways in Texas, you guys will never see it up there. They define slow and incompetent, even more than most places. They have been working on one overpass near here for almost 4 years and it just keeps getting worse.
The thing is there is a Spanish company contracted to build it. It may not be four hundred yards wide, but will be big. So you will see it go through fast.

Oh and FistFightingHairdresser, since you don't think it will happen keep those thoughts in mind, and when it gets underway and is visable to all (for those that can't believe unless they see) come on back here and remind us of your denial of it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies