Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you wear the shirt?
Yes 15 25.00%
No 41 68.33%
Not sure 4 6.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 11:35 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,379,270 times

Advertisements

You folks seen this?

Quote:
Trayvon’s killing indicates a pattern of failing to prosecute when the victim is Black. In 2010, the white son of a Sanford police lieutenant was let go by police after assaulting a homeless Black man outside a downtown bar.

And, in 2005, a Black teenager was killed by two white security guards, one the son of a Sanford Police officer. The pair was arrested and charged, but a judge later cited lack of evidence and dismissed both cases.
Justice for Trayvon Martin | Criminal Defense Investigators Blog

Things that make you go

Old 03-27-2012, 11:35 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,991,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
If Zimmerman was a Republican we'd have entire threads dedicated to chiseling that fact in stone.
Not true....we all know what the Non wealthy Republican base is all about. No need for reinforcement.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:36 AM

2,713 posts, read 3,026,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
What have you learned to have you believe Zimmerman may have been justified?
Well it seems he was not this harmless kid that his parents and the professional Race Baiters of the NAACP wants everyone to believe.

IN MY OPINION

The more we learn about multiple suspensions, possible drugs, the new photos, he seemed a lot more "thuggish."

It would not surprise me if he provoked Zimmerman.

12,770 posts, read 11,576,614 times
This black rage is going to get cops killed, because they'll be afraid to defend themselves or you and I against any person of color.

7,085 posts, read 12,064,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Stop kidding yourself. If he was a Republican there's a few hundred CD posters that'd be waving that fact around like a bloody shirt.
Really? You know alternate realities? What are they like?

Old 03-27-2012, 11:37 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,767,093 times
SANFORD -- As thousands of people gathered here to demand an arrest in the Trayvon Martin case, a more complicated portrait began to emerge of a teenager whose problems at school ranged from getting spotted defacing lockers to getting caught with a marijuana baggie and women’s jewelry.
The Miami Gardens teen who has become a national symbol of racial injustice was suspended three times, and had a spotty school record that his family’s attorneys say is irrelevant to the facts that led up to his being gunned down on Feb. 26.
In October, a school police investigator said he saw Trayvon on the school surveillance camera in an unauthorized area “hiding and being suspicious.” Then he said he saw Trayvon mark up a door with “W.T.F” — an acronym for “what the f---.” The officer said he found Trayvon the next day and went through his book bag in search of the graffiti marker.
Instead the officer reported he found women’s jewelry and a screwdriver that he described as a “burglary tool,” according to a Miami-Dade Schools Police report obtained by The Miami Herald. Word of the incident came as the family’s lawyer acknowledged that the boy was suspended in February for getting caught with an empty bag with traces of marijuana, which he called “irrelevant” and an attempt to demonize a victim.
Trayvon’s backpack contained 12 pieces of jewelry, in addition to a watch and a large flathead screwdriver, according to the report, which described silver wedding bands and earrings with diamonds.

Multiple suspensions paint complicated portrait of Trayvon Martin - Florida - MiamiHerald.com

8,346 posts, read 7,051,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Hmmm..... I'm sure most teenage athletes carry around several articles of women's jewelry..... must be the latest trend.
Unless it's proven that it was stolen, it's an irrelevant point created to attack the kid's character.

19,784 posts, read 15,129,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogstooth View Post
If the story below is factual will it change the landscape?

Registered Dem Killed Trayvon
The individual at the center of the controversial Trayvon Martin shooting is a registered Democrat.

George Michael Zimmerman, born Oct. 5, 1983, registered as a Democrat in Seminole County, Fla., in August 2002, according to state voter registration documents

Link
Registered Dem Killed Trayvon | Washington Free Beacon

OK...so?

4,520 posts, read 4,213,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
That is my concern as well. To be honest, I don't know that SYG laws really make much difference in this case. If it was an honest case of self defense, Zimmerman should have had a right to protect his life, with or without this law. (mind you, I'm not saying that's what happened). If Zimmerman initiated physical force against Martin, I don't think SYG will help him. Unfortunately, unless a witness shows up that saw the start of the altercation, or some sort of survaliance video turns up, we will probably never know who started the physical altercation. All we have is Zimmerman's word, and the evidence of his injuries. All the witness statements I have seen take place after the start of the altercation.

It would SUCK to be on that grand jury. The burden of proof is on the prosecuter, to show proof beyond a reasonable doubt. Right now, IMO, the evidence released doesn't show that.

I understand the distaste for the Sanford PD, it doesn't appear that they did a complete investigation. Or if they did, we haven't seen all the facts. Yet the bulk of the vile comments are about Zimmerman...and we simply don't know that he did anything wrong.
I agree with you up to this point. My problem with Zimmerman is:

-He pursued Trayvon even though the dispatcher told him they didn't need him to do that (In essence, "stand down").

-He seemed irritated/frustrated on the call. He probably thought Trayvon would disappear before the cops arrived and he didn't want him to get away (from what, I don't know why because Trayvon had not committed a crime).

-Zimmerman hasn't said that he introduced himself as Neighborhood Watch when he came face to face with Trayvon. This is crucial, because without this identification, Trayvon viewed Zimmerman as a hostile threat.

Last edited by ChocLot; 03-27-2012 at 11:45 AM..

27,623 posts, read 21,150,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
You bring up an interesting point.

Was Zimmerman's safety on prior to approaching Trayvon?
Did he take the safety off as he followed Trayvon?

Most folks that I know who carry have their weapons on safety to prevent an accidental shooting.
This and many other reasons and questions is why thre has to be a bonafide investigation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.