Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you pull a gun during a fight?
Yes 31 46.27%
No 36 53.73%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 07:12 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,368,771 times

Advertisements

I would need more than that to pull out the gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 07:18 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,167,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Maybe, but definitely if he'd broken my nose, was beating me and slamming my head into the ground.
If a guy is able to do that, then you need boxing lessons

Old 03-27-2012, 07:42 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,207,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
What if you pulled the gun out and the guy went for it.. I hope you are quick to get him before he gets you.
If you've drawn a gun with the intent to defend yourself, whoever's trying to beat your ass *generally* won't have time to react before you pull the trigger. IF he doesn't back off, that is. I've had a gun pointed at me at a distance of a few feet. Doesn't matter what caliber the gun is, the barrel looks like a black hole.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:59 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,864,982 times
If I thought my life was in danger, yes. If the person swinging at me has the ability to physically endanger my life I would pull my weapon to defend myself. If I thought I could handle myself without the use of a weapon then I wouldn't.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:24 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,674,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
Guns arent allowed in bars...i would have to go out in the parking lot to my car to retrieve it. By then cooler heads would prevail.......
Not really, someone who is "hot under the collar" isn't going to cool off that quickly. If they had to drive home and get their gun yes, but not if they can walk out in a parking lot and return in under 3 minutes.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:29 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,674,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
when you decide to carry a weapon you have to have the maturity to never let your ego make choices for you. You have to be man enough to walk away. You have to have the emotional intelligence to know when a bad situation is arising and get away.

If your absolute last resort if deadly force you are going to have to make a choice that will haunt you every single night when you lay your head down for the rest of your life. Anyone who says differently is either lying or sociopathic.
But you're talking about yourself. FL is loaded with mental midgets who get angry quickly. And who think it is their right to shoot anyone who makes them angry.

A month doesn't go by where someone isn't shot in a road rage incident or neighbors fighting over something minor that leaves one dead on the ground.

To say that everyone who carries a gun legally is mature and level headed would be like saying that everyone who has a drivers license is a good driver.

Living in FL, you know that isn't true.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:52 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,327,275 times
If you carry a firearm, you have to concider that if you get into a fist fight, that the other person could get your weapon away from you. Police even get shot with their own gun. If you think the other guy could get your gun what do you do, pull it out to try to scare him off, what if he has a gun and sees your gun. The other guy will pull his as fast as possible and shoot you.

So the way I see it is;

Never put yourself in a position to have to use deadly force, make the other guy force you to use deadly force. I'm close to 60, and if someone younger then say 40 decides to swing it could be life threatening.

Don't drink, the courts will fry you.

Never pull your gun to threaten someone. If you have to pull the gun out just shoot him.

The state patrol officer that gave me the CCW license told me to keep the gun totally out of sight at all times and don't tell anybody that you carry, I didn't understand what we ment. Now I do, If someone knows you're carrying they can just hit you over your head from behind and take it.

A warning to people that say that they will use pepper spray first. I personally watched an heated exchange between to guys go from just screaming to an all out brawl in 1 second when one of them pulled pepper spray and sprayed the other guy right in the eyes. The pepper spray just pissed off the guy, I didn't even see how the pepper spray slowed him down at all.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:45 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,167,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
If I thought my life was in danger, yes. If the person swinging at me has the ability to physically endanger my life I would pull my weapon to defend myself. If I thought I could handle myself without the use of a weapon then I wouldn't.
The question is then, do you think the average strength/skilled male can kill you or cause great bodily harm with his hands? Do you have confidence that you can protect yourself from the average male in a fist fight?

Old 03-28-2012, 07:28 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,239,768 times
After listening to the 911 call by the woman, in which you hear the yells and then the gunshot, I wondered a different question, and would be interested in responses from gun owners. I don't own or carry guns, never have, but I wonder:

If you were carrying a pistol, would you willingly engage in a fist fight with someone? Especially, would you start a fist fight with someone?

For LEOs here - if you are attempting to subdue someone who is resisting, you're obviously first trying to do it with physical force, sidearm holstered. What does it take for you to draw your pistol on the subject?

Old 03-28-2012, 08:02 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,151,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
If you get into a traffic altercation or if you are in a bar and you get into a fight woud you pull out your gun? What if you are in a parking lot or a park?
A "traffic altercation?" Are you serious?

The basic premise of this thread is a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies