Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 02:38 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,372,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Cracker ≠ slur. Sorry.
So then there are no racial slurs for whites?

Old 04-04-2012, 02:39 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,087,456 times
I think anyone who really cares about the truth about what happened in this case needs to listen to this interview with Joe Oliver, a black friend of George Zimmerman who has talked to him about what happened that night.

He cites several examples of the misinformation that is out there and sets the record straight regarding what happened. The press has done such a botched job or reporting the facts that numerous people are vilifying Zimmerman based on totally false information.

Friend: George Zimmerman scared for his life | News - Home

See the complete transcript of this interview with Joe Oliver at the website above. But more importantly listen to the sincerity in the voice of this black man as he explains his understanding of this event. It is clear that he is certain George Zimmerman has been victimized and events described by the news media has been grossly misrepresented.

Here are a few quotes from the transcript.

Quote:
Local 6: So many people are wondering why you are so strongly defending him and why now, a month after the shooting?
Oliver: "I have been trying to get in touch with George from the very beginning. I have been in TV for over 20 years, I knew what he was about to deal with. I had gotten stories through his mother in law about what had happened and what he was dealing with. Plus I have known George for so long and I know what kind of a man he is, he is a good man. That's why he was the watch captain, he cares about his community. The reason why he called in that night, on his way home from the grocery store is because his neighborhood had gone through a number of burglaries, It was a high crime area."
Local 6: So describe him, Can you paint us a picture of who this guy was?
Oliver: "He is a very good man. He is a very good man who thought he was doing the right thing and it turned out horribly wrong. We have heard stories of him mentoring black children of a single mother. I learned he and his wife, at church they would take gift cards for food for people who needed it."
There is a lot more detail there but I'm trying to limit how much I quote. Joe Oliver goes on to describe how George Zimmerman was heading back to his car after the dispatcher asked him if he was following Martin and said he did not need to do that, George said OK and headed back to his car. It was after that that Martin came after George, they exchanged words and Martin struck Zimmerman, knocking him to the ground then sitting on top of him and began beating him.

Last edited by CptnRn; 04-04-2012 at 02:48 PM..

Old 04-04-2012, 02:40 PM

744 posts, read 812,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
I was called a cracka ass ni gga one time which was pretty offensive

Old 04-04-2012, 02:40 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,211,612 times
Quote:
I can only think of words that are used to insult. Can't think of any that have been used to degrade, subjugate and oppress. Can you?

Old 04-04-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I can only think of words that are used to insult. Can't think of any that have been used to degrade, subjugate and oppress. Can you?
That's cause White people have always been the imperialist masters but there are definitely slurs for subgroups of Whites like people call the, Italians wops,Finnish saunatrolls, Irish micks etc

Old 04-04-2012, 02:47 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,372,825 times
Quote:
Sorry, guess we'll agree to disagree. If you call someone a name which is meant insult them based on their race, to me that is a racial slur. Carry on.

* on a side note, mick and **** have been used to "degrade, subjugate and oppress" the Irish and the Jews.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
The problem is that people are convinced Zimmerman is a racist and lied in his statement. The witnesses that saw TM on top of GZ are lying or confused. The screams are not his. The police dept is full of racists covering up for the "white" guy. The cop lied about GZ's injuries. The enhanced video in the police station is edited. All this is perfectly logical, but there's no way TM attacked GZ as his statement and the evidence suggest. It's all a conspiracy.
Yeah, John Kennedy, Elvis and I were talking about this the other day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
He has been watch captain for 5-6 years, why are you only focusing on the last year? Anytime I see someone truncate a data set like that they are generally trying to force numbers to reach a conclusion.

I would expect something more like "In the 5 years he has been watch captain he has called 9-11 twenty times about suspicious persons blah blah blah".

I'm specifically asking you for a source, it seems you are being taken in by someone playing data games.

If it turns out he has called about suspicious blacks 10 out of 20 times etc. I'd be happy to recalculate the probabilities.

To really draw a firm conclusion you would need to adjust for race by age demographic and so forth. ie) What if there are a lot of old white people in the neighborhood and males aged 16-25 are 50/50 black/white? Doing an analysis like this CORRECTLY is a lot harder than knowing the binomial distribution.
He was the self-appointed captain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
Another winner!

So you also subscribe to the "nobody living in their own complex would commit a crime in that complex" theory? Yeah, RIGHT!!

PRICELESS! Again, with your own words you accomplish what I could not in 100 posts.

Thanks!!!!
I agree. When I called the cops once about speeding/reckless driving in my neighborhood, they told me to talk it up among the neighbors, as they had found that most such incidents are committed by the residents.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:52 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I think anyone who really cares about the truth about what happened in this case needs to listen to this interview with Joe Oliver, a black friend of George Zimmerman who has talked to him about what happened that night.

He cites several examples of the misinformation that is out there and sets the record straight regarding what happened. The press has done such a botched job or reporting the facts that numerous people are vilifying Zimmerman based on totally false information.

Friend: George Zimmerman scared for his life | News - Home

See the complete transcript of this interview with Joe Oliver at the website above. But more importantly listen to the sincerity in the voice of this black man as he explains his understanding of this event. It is clear that he is certain George Zimmerman has been victimized and events described by the news media has been grossly misrepresented.

Here are a few quotes from the transcript.

There is a lot more detail there but I'm trying to limit how much I quote. Joe Oliver goes on to describe how George Zimmerman was heading back to his car after the dispatcher asked him if he was following Martin and said he did not need to do that, George said OK and headed back to his car. It was after that that Martin came after George, they exchanged words and Martin struck Zimmerman, knocking him to the ground then sitting on top of him and began beating him.
Zimmerman's “Black Friend” Exposed As Fraud ... Watch the interview below: ...

Joe Oliver Exposed on Lawrence O'Donnell's Last Call | News One

I think it is possible that Zimmerman might have a black friend, but this guy really does not seem to be a friend as much as a casual acquaintance.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Zimmerman's “Black Friend” Exposed As Fraud ... Watch the interview below: ...

Joe Oliver Exposed on Lawrence O'Donnell's Last Call | News One

I think it is possible that Zimmerman might have a black friend, but this guy really does not seem to be a friend as much as a casual acquaintance.
It's not uncommon to call an acquaintance a friend, I do often

Old 04-04-2012, 02:55 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,211,612 times
Quote:
Sorry, guess we'll agree to disagree. If you call someone a name which is meant insult them based on their race, to me that is a racial slur. Carry on.

* on a side note, mick and **** have been used to "degrade, subjugate and oppress" the Irish and the Jews.
Now, on that I agree. These ethnicities have been the subject of racial slurs (as sturmgeist points out in his/her post). Interestingly enough, the slur came from other white people, NOT from black to white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies