Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2012, 01:25 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,282,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
If you are stopped simply because you are driving down the street, the police can make you take an alcohol test.

I'm honestly not trying to insult you, but do you live in the United States or are you past the age of 15? This wasn't just a speeding ticket or a stop for erratic driving, it was a shooting. Taking a drug and alcohol test after any shooting is standard police procedure, even in cases of self defense. I'm not sure about Florida Law, but in many states, even "real" police officers are required to take blood alcohol tests after a shooting. Some require testing for steroids, which might cause a person to become violent.
Ok, here goes. If you read anything I have ever posted, you would have known I am a POLICE OFFICER. I've been a police officer for 24 yrs. 10 of those years in investigations, including murder and sexual assault investigations.

In here, again, is the problem: A police officer CANNOT force a chemical test on you, without your consent, unless he has probable cause to believe you are driving under the influence. Just speeding down the road does not give a police officer the probable cause to take a chemical test.

"Real" police officers are required to take blood alcohol tests after a shooting? Really? Where did you see this? On CSI? I am a real police officer. Been involved in 4 officer involved shootings and have NEVER taken a chemical test and would refuse to do so, if asked.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-03-2012 at 04:53 AM.. Reason: personal attacks

Old 04-02-2012, 01:27 PM

27,625 posts, read 21,163,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Why is so important to some on here that zimmerman gets away with this crime?
I suppose because it will send message and green light out to would be copycat shooters.

The thing that is the most hypocrtical to me is that the Zimmerman excusers and defenders are not calling for an investigation which would be in line with Civil Rights law and The Constitution, they just want him exonerated NOW.

Aren't these people right leaning Tea Party types that claim to revere The Constitution??? They are so FOS!

Old 04-02-2012, 01:28 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,542,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Ok, here goes. If you read anything I have ever posted, you would have known I am a POLICE OFFICER. I've been a police officer for 24 yrs. 10 of those years in investigations, including murder and sexual assault investigations.

In here, again, is the problem: You and other are either ignorant, and/or down right stupid. A police officer CANNOT force a chemical test on you, without your consent, unless he has probable cause to believe you are driving under the influence. Just speeding down the road does not give a police officer the probable cause to take a chemical test.

"Real" police officers are required to take blood alcohol tests after a shooting? Really? Where did you see this? On CSI? I am a real police officer. Been involved in 4 officer involved shootings and have NEVER taken a chemical test and would refuse to do so, if asked.

Your stupidity/ignornance is amazing and it is what is clouding this investigation.
So do you think ole zim should walk?

Old 04-02-2012, 01:30 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,542,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I suppose because it will send message and green light out to would be copycat shooters.

The thing that is the most hypocrtical to me is that the Zimmerman excusers and defenders are not calling for an investigation which would be in line with Civil Rights law and The Constitution, they just want him exonerated NOW.

Aren't these people right leaning Tea Party types that claim to revere The Constitution??? They are so FOS!
You nailed it They want a message sent loud and clear that they are still able to do what ever they want to who ever they want. Obama election didnt change that.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
So do you think ole zim should walk?
Nope. I have no clue what occurred and neither do you. However, I am not being emotional in my response to what occurred. If the grand jury believes there is probable cause to issue a complaint, Zimmerman has already said he will turn himself in.

Put the facts, before a jury, and let them decide. They will get the facts. Not someone's skewed thoughts or "I heard this." If the jury convicts him, he will be doing hard time. If he walks, that is part of our criminal justice system. Its not perfect, it has flaws, however its the best around.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:32 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,128,177 times
Quote:
Why is so important to some on here that zimmerman gets away with this crime?
Have you ever heard of "innocent until proven guilty"?

The media started this outrage with biased and untrue reporting because it made good news. But much of what they published has been shown to be false and manipulated. My points in all of this is that its entirely possible that Zimmerman is not guilty of having committed a crime. Apparently the legal system thinks so too, as they have not charged him.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:35 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,966,784 times
Quote:
You have probable cause to make the arrest or you don't. In this case, the probable cause was not there. The district attorney told the police not to arrest Zimmerman and conduct a more thorough investigation. Zimmerman is not a flight risk. Therefore, it is better, under this set of circumstances, to conduct the investigation and present the facts to the district attorney or grand jury.

Remember, when you charge Zimmerman, every drop of evidence you have, MUST be turned over to the defense. Giving them months, years, etc to prepare and refute your case. Let the grand jury decide, he is in trial in months, not giving up all the information you have. Its a big huge chess game and unless you've played it, you have no clue what you are talking about.
I know what you are saying, but does this mean that a man who shot a 17 year old teenager should be walking around free? Why wasn't there probable cause? That's the million dollar question.

Sure, it takes time, too much time. Coincidentally, the 2006 shooting of an unarmed man, Sean Bell, who was killed by police at his own bachelor party is in the news 6 years later. Why does it take that long to decide a man who was shot 50 times when he did absolutely nothing, was murdered? The cops weren't charge with murder, I realize that, but why did they open fire on him in the first place?

This is not off-topic, since to me it shows that a Black man, even one well dressed, is a suspect and can be killed just for being a Black man in the wrong place at the wrong time, even if he has every right to be there.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I know what you are saying, but does this mean that a man who shot a 17 year old teenager should be walking around free? Why wasn't there probable cause? That's the million dollar question.

Sure, it takes time, too much time. Coincidentally, the 2006 shooting of an unarmed man, Sean Bell, who was killed by police at his own bachelor party is in the news 6 years later. Why does it take that long to decide a man who was shot 50 times when he did absolutely nothing, was murdered? The cops weren't charge with murder, I realize that, but why did they open fire on him in the first place?

This is not off-topic, since to me it shows that a Black man, even one well dressed, is a suspect and be killed just for being a Black man in the wrong place at the wrong time, even if he has every right to be there.
Why wasn't there probable cause? Because the FACTS don't support probable cause. You can't manufacture it. Either you have it or you don't. Just because someone is shot and killed, doesn't automatically equal probable cause. You have NO CLUE what occurred there that day, except what has been written in the newspapers. Much of it was wrong, skewed, and downright misleading.

You believe wild internet rumors, or what you heard on the street as the gospel. Its just not the case.

In certain instances, it is better to leave the person out of custody and conduct your investigation. You get further. What if Zimmerman made a statement on the news? To a reporter? Those statements are legal and admissible in court. It happens all the time. There are so many reasons to leave him out of custody, I could spend days writing novels as to why.

As I said, the criminal justice system is a CHESS GAME. And, unless you played this chess game, you have no idea what you are talking about. It is so funny, people think they can tell the police, the district attorney, et al what to do and how to do it. Yet, you don't tell a doctor how to do open heart surgery? Or the computer technician how to install your computer. Or the plumber how to unclog your drain.

Yet, for some reason, all you people know how to conduct a criminal investigation? Like it or not, you think you do, based upon what you saw on television. You aren't making things better, you are making things worse.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:42 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,141,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
We don't know who screamed for help. Unless there is a video or audio recording of Travon Martin, we may never know because he obviously cannot submit a voice sample for testing against the 911 tape. They can only say they don't think it is Zimmerman but they cannot prove it was Trayvon without a sample. If anybody has video or audio of Trayvon, they need to turn it over to the Special Prosecutor now.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:45 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,141,502 times
Quote:
Why wasn't there probable cause? Because the FACTS don't support probable cause. You can't manufacture it. Either you have it or you don't. Just because someone is shot and killed, doesn't automatically equal probable cause. You have NO CLUE what occurred there that day, except what has been written in the newspapers. Much of it was wrong, skewed, and downright misleading.

You believe wild internet rumors, or what you heard on the street as the gospel. Its just not the case.

In certain instances, it is better to leave the person out of custody and conduct your investigation. You get further. What if Zimmerman made a statement on the news? To a reporter? Those statements are legal and admissible in court. It happens all the time. There are so many reasons to leave him out of custody, I could spend days writing novels as to why.

As I said, the criminal justice system is a CHESS GAME. And, unless you played this chess game, you have no idea what you are talking about. It is so funny, people think they can tell the police, the district attorney, et al what to do and how to do it. Yet, you don't tell a doctor how to do open heart surgery? Or the computer technician how to install your computer. Or the plumber how to unclog your drain.

Yet, for some reason, all you people know how to conduct a criminal investigation? Like it or not, you think you do, based upon what you saw on television. You aren't making things better, you are making things worse.
I tend to agree with you except that the local DA fouled this case up from the get go. Lots of people are blaming the Sanford Police but it has become clear that the Detective submitted the charges to the local DA. Apparently the Detective, with years of experience, believed there was enough doubt on Zimmerman's story to press charges. But it appears the DA just did not want to fool with the thing and hoped it would just "go away".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies