Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 08:04 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,173,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
She knew the guy was gay. Read the article for crying out loud. Thus the "hate crime" charge. To clarify: If you know someone is gay, assault them BECAUSE they are gay, that's a hate crime. At least in that state.
How do you know she attacked him because he's gay? Maybe they got into an argument, she beat him, and insulted him by calling him a f--. That doesn't mean a 70-year-old woman beat him because he is homosexual.

She needs to be charged with assault, as was aforementioned.

"Hate crimes" don't exist for me, sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 08:07 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,782,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpanda View Post

"Hate crimes" don't exist for me, sorry.
awesome! like I was saying in another thread... gravity doesn't exist for me...I can and do travel around the solar system at my leisure...

3,826 posts, read 3,398,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
If she was screaming slurs then it's not just assault it's a hate crime right? I think political correctness is garbage but the law is the law.

What can you call a homosexual without it being a hate crime? We need to know the rules. I supposed it matters how she was using her cane on him that determines "hate" or "love".

41,000 posts, read 49,390,491 times
Funny....

A gay man calls a gay man a name and it's OK.

A Black man calls a black man the N word and it's OK.

If I use those words all of a sudden it becomes a racist, sexist, hate crime remark.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:08 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,617,119 times
kick out the son. let him live his own life how he wants, dont let him choose how u will live in your own home. the son caused this. no respect for his family.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:08 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,896,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
More PC nonsense charge her with assault and call it a day.

Enraged Woman Attacks Son's Roommate | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth
So, according to you, she is an innocent victim. Is she?

Old 03-30-2012, 08:09 AM

14,916 posts, read 13,133,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
"Sentence enhancements" That has politics written all over it.

Oh, the possibilities.
Our criminal justice system has many such sentence enhancement laws that punish crimes more harshly based on certain criteria: Repeat offender sentence enhancement laws, habitual offender sentence enhancement laws, laws that enhance sentences based on the age of the victim (raping a kid vs raping an adult), sentence enhancement laws based on where a crime is committed (selling drugs within X feet of a school), sentence enhancement laws for when a weapon is present during the commission of a crime (robbing somebody at gunpoint rather that just robbing without possessing a weapon).

The biggest sentence enhancement laws deal with intent, or the motivations crimes are committed. Worse, more sinister intents are punished more harshly. Bias motivated sentence enhancement laws fall under this category. Other examples are laws that distinguish the degrees of homicide (manslaughter, 2nd degree murder, 1st degree murder). Part of this is out of a realization that such intents usually go hand-in-hand with the likelihood that an offender can be rehabilitated.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:10 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,819,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
More PC nonsense charge her with assault and call it a day.

Enraged Woman Attacks Son's Roommate | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth
She probably couldn't handle the fact that her son was gay and left her for that man

But she has a close ally in Edward, rushing to her defense, even though she would probably call him the N word and beat him as well.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:11 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,173,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorfml View Post
awesome! like I was saying in another thread... gravity doesn't exist for me...I can and do travel around the solar system at my leisure...
Then go live on Mars.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:12 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,782,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Funny....

A gay man calls a gay man a name and it's OK.

A Black man calls a black man the N word and it's OK.

If I use those words all of a sudden it becomes a racist, sexist, hate crime remark.
lol oh the irony...

ignorance of the law or even in basic common sense is no excuse...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies