Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 05:32 PM

210 posts, read 251,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
I was honestly thinking it would be something like..

"If youz a black guy, get at this chicken, and if youz a white guy, don't be racist and get at this chicken..."
Sung to a snappy beat, possibly with black guys throwing money on strippers...who would then use that money to buy the sandwich.

I'm disappointed.
LOL I feel wrong for wanting that to be a commercial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 05:35 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,733,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
It seems blacks are always upset about stereotyping them of what they like to eat.

It's not "blacks". It's certain self appointed black leaders. I suspect most black people have no issues with these ads.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:36 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,937,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorblade View Post
LOL I feel wrong for wanting that to be a commercial.
Me too. It actually me thinking of heading to BK. Then I remembered their food is garbage.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:40 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,342,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This whole thread is a load of bull, and i'm surprised that no one has called the OP out on it.

Who are these blacks that complained? Name them. I didn't see one name in that piece except for some nebulous reference to some website that i've never heard of, and neither have any of you. Here is the line:

"The commercial had faced criticism from the African-American community for being stereotypical ."

LOL...nonsense. That line is so vague that i'm surprised it got by an editor. Since only 2 and a half of us that have even chimed in on this thread are anything close to being black, i know that's a load of bull. The rest of you don't have a damn clue since you wouldn't be privy to such a conversation anyway. But to ease your nerves, i doubt that there was a single conversation in any black community about the commercial. Don't worry, we aren't going to riot over a chicken wrap commercial.

Sad thing is how gullible some of you are. There are black folks all over chicken commercials, and there hasn't been a peep about it. Who here hasn't seen the black Popeye's lady all over TV hawking her wares? There have been blacks on KFC commercials for years. The NBA apparently knows it's demographic fairly well, since i've seen countless chicken commercials during game breaks. No complaints that i've ever heard of.

Some of you are in such a hurry to make an anti-black thread that you'll come up with anything to make it possible. Damn...need attention that bad?

I'll send a rep to the OP so he/she will feel better.

Oh, and just for sh*ts and grins...here ya go...black person included for effect:

to the underlined. I didn't read the whole thread before responding but it doesn't surprise me one bit that the usual suspects are using this non-issue to paint yet another unflattering picture of all blacks. These people are desperate for attention, as evidenced by how much time they spend on the P&OC forum doing this.

And just who the bleep is part of "the African American community"? Am I even a member? I don't recall actively joining this community. Was I conscripted into it just b/c I'm black and I now have this vocal minority and fools like Sharpton speaking for me? I'm black, but it seems like I disagree w/ the "African American community" whenever minor quibbles like this hits the surface.

There are enough real issues regarding racism facing us today (e.g., the Hunger Games/twitter outrage, the recent awkwardblackgirl/twitter fiasco, the ongoing Trayvon Martin saga) w/o adding on idiot claims like this.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:43 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,834 times
Quote:
Blacks use the word stereotyping .. they are the ones who get upset. You are of course twisting the words to push back at those who wonder why they are upset. How great the spin is over there on liberal media.
Wow, you did it again. You wrote, Blacks use the word stereotyping .." It appears that you don't get it. Let's start at the beginning. In your OP you said; It seems blacks are always upset about stereotyping them... Your sentence is in itself stereotyping. It is stereotyping blacks. That's why it was so funny, what with its hypocrisy and rich irony. It's like a post full of misspellings that's complaining about someone's spelling. But now you've outdone yourself. You said Blacks use the word "stereotyping"... As if white folks don't use the word. Apparently you are oblivious to the fact that your eighth word in your OP was "stereotyping". So not only were you being hypocritical, but you were inaccurate. And if you are going to say that black folks stereotype but white folks do not... all you have to do is read your last few posts. So please, desist. I've had enough fun already.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:45 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,228,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
Blacks whine more than an Akon song
But not as much as black-obsessed posters on C-D.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:49 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,342,237 times
Quote:
hey, I just posted that the blacks don't like the commercial.. talk to them.
Your thread, properly back up your claims by listing the blacks (or should I say "blacks" since there's zero proof the online complaints are even from blacks) who made the complaints. Otherwise, your thread is just pointless and idiotic.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:10 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Your thread, properly back up your claims by listing the blacks (or should I say "blacks" since there's zero proof the online complaints are even from blacks) who made the complaints. Otherwise, your thread is just pointless and idiotic.
Not one black person in this thread (I am one of them) is upset about this commercial. Epic failure of a thread on so many levels, including the OPs failure to understand irony and hypocrisy although it has been explained multiple times now.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:16 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,413,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
I don't see anything about a public apology here:

Mary J. Blige: Burger King Ad Was “Unfinished” - ABC News

The "criticism" is not what got the add pulled. This really isn't a big deal.
Sounds like backtracking. What ad agency produces an "unfinished" 30 second spot? There are storyboards, scripts etc.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:20 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,413,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Not one black person in this thread (I am one of them) is upset about this commercial. Epic failure of a thread on so many levels, including the OPs failure to understand irony and hypocrisy although it has been explained multiple times now.
Evidently some black people were upset in fact quite a few or the ad would have stayed on.

BTW is it really fried chicken? Looks like a crispy chicken sandwich.
Burger King apologizes to Mary J. Blige for chicken ad - Celebrity Circuit - CBS News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies