Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 12:31 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
How exactly did taxpayers "pick up her tab?"

Taxpayers paid her consumer debts? Taxpayers paid her medical bills?

I see nothing that would indicate that taxpayes were on the hook for any of this.

Even more important, who's saying we shouldn't reform healthcare? No one that I can think of. Reform is necessary. Obamacare is not the answer.
The tax payers pay a portion of her bills and people with insurance pay another portion. If you are both you get hit twice. Let me put it this way. When Mary Brown says I don't need no stinking insurance, it isn't as though she isn't going to be running to the hospital when she needs treatment. What will happen is what she did, run to the hospital and declare bankruptcy afterwords refusing to pay. This makes her a freeloader. Freeloaders result in health care becoming more expensive for people who have personal responsibility and insure they are covered if they get sick.

In addition to taking a hit on our health insurance premiums from freeloaders who lack personal responsibility like Mary Brown, we take a hit on our taxes as well. This is because tax payers fund medicare which is a health insurance plan for people over 65. Basically to offset the freeloaders the hospital has to make it up from paying clients and one of the biggest payers is the tax payers though medicare. As a result taxpayers end up paying a large portion of her medical bills indirectly since the hospital has to get the money to stay open somewhere.

Obamacare solves this problem by forcing the freeloaders to pay a fine so they have some skin in the game. Part of me doesn't understand how conservatives can complain about welfare freeloaders who do not pay income tax, but will ardently defend medical freeloaders right to freeload.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 12:31 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I hope she gets to experience all the joys of going broke from medical bills.
Considering the unpaid medical bills are about 4% of the total debt I'm sure that is her greatest concern.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:34 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
You people are exactly what is wrong with us people. Obamacare was rammed down the collective throats of America. Try again.

The 30-45 million that got Healthcare after the enactment don't feel anything was rammed down their throats. Most likely they feel something just got pulled out of their butt. That would be the shaft of not being able to purchase insurance.

Most likely you have never had a major illness in your family. Have you?

Old 04-06-2012, 12:37 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Do you really believe that your stated reason for enactment of this law was what you say it was? I believe it was nothing but a monstrous power grab made by the Democrat Party for our Glorious Leader to hasten his complete, dictatorial control of the nation.
Yep. Dictatorial control for 4 years. Over your choice to purchase private insurance. You're like an ad-lib program.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:39 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Considering the unpaid medical bills are about 4% of the total debt I'm sure that is her greatest concern.
Certainly not, but with many uninsured like Mary Brown who won't be paying for the bills, that amounts to at least 56 billions of dollars of unpaid medical bills -- all absorbed by private insurance companies, and governments at the local, state, and national levels on an annual basis.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:40 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,933 times
Quote:
Do you know the difference between Medicare and Medicaid? There is a huge difference that many, or most, don't know.
Medicare - Old people
Medicade - Poor people

Close enough? Regardless they are government programs correct?

Old 04-06-2012, 12:43 PM

756 posts, read 714,484 times
Quote:
Do you really believe that your stated reason for enactment of this law was what you say it was? I believe it was nothing but a monstrous power grab made by the Democrat Party for our Glorious Leader to hasten his complete, dictatorial control of the nation.

Hey, what's that sound, roysoldboy?

Could be the bogeyman comin' to take ya away

LMAO

Old 04-06-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
That would be the shaft of not being able to purchase insurance.
The only people that couldn't get insurance before is those with preexisting condtions. We don't have 40 or 50 milion people with preexisting conditions, we have 40 or 50 million people that couldn't afford it. With the mandate we know have 40 or 50 million people that have to buy insurance they still can't afford it.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:44 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
The highest percentage of bankrutcies in the US are due to exorbitant medical bills

More than 75 percent of these bankrupt families had health insurance but still were overwhelmed by their medical debts, the team at Harvard Law School, Harvard Medical School and Ohio University reported in the American Journal of Medicine.
"Unless you're Warren Buffett, your family is just one serious illness away from bankruptcy," Harvard's Dr. David Himmelstein, an advocate for a single-payer health insurance program for the United States, said in a statement.

Medical bills underlie 60 percent of U.S. bankrupts: study | Reuters
I saw little in your link other than arguments about how single payer will settle things. At least, the writer did admit that the government has to be the single payer. I failed to see any reference to how that puts the government in complete control of healthcare. When will people begin to understand that single payer makes us all slaves to bureaucrats?

Old 04-06-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Close enough? Regardless they are government programs correct?
Medicare is funded through SS which people pay into their entire working lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies