Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 12:49 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Taken from the report done by the US Department of Health and Human Services:

When medical bills go unpaid, there is a ripple effect that often goes unseen. Since hospitals must make up for the loss, they increase the price on medical care on private insurers and governments at the local, state, and national level.
When the Department of HHS speaks I hear the voice of Kathleen Sebelius telling us that single payer (government controlled) health care is the only answer. I do not like that woman for a number of reasons, but mainly because I voted for her for governor twice and wish I could take those votes back.

I really do wonder when people will begin to see what single payer actually means. It is nationalized healthcare which I just don't want to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 12:51 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Medicare is funded through SS which people pay into their entire working lives.
Which is a government program correct? That we pay into with SS tax? That not everyone collects on but still comes out of our pockets?

Old 04-06-2012, 12:52 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
"Pre-existing conditions" are not only reason Insurance Companies can deny a claim. Some tests, X-rays etc., they may not cover, and then require the patient to pay tens of thousands in out -of -pocket costs, and co-pays.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:52 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
When the Department of HHS speaks I hear the voice of Kathleen Sebelius telling us that single payer (government controlled) health care is the only answer. I do not like that woman for a number of reasons, but mainly because I voted for her for governor twice and wish I could take those votes back.

I really do wonder when people will begin to see what single payer actually means. It is nationalized healthcare which I just don't want to see.
Fool me once shame on you........

Old 04-06-2012, 12:57 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post

Since that is your opinion; fair enough. I'll respect that.

So if Obamacare or single payer healthcare is not the solution that the GOP believes in, then what is theirs?

Old 04-06-2012, 12:59 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Another great example of some people really being too stupid to know they are stupid.

I hope she gets to experience all the joys of going broke from medical bills. It will be a great personal lesson why the bill was enacted.
So you're willing to bend the Contitution for Obamacare?

"A ha! You poor fool! You wouldn't be broke if you wouldn't have fought Obamacare!" ? That's your argument?

Is this some sort of game of tit-for-tat, or is this a Constitutional Republic in which we live?

Your side has a disturbing lack of respect for the Constitution....and it's all about you claiming some sort of ideological victory. I find that to be disgusting.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:00 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Tax dollars would only be used if the person had medicare or medicaid right? The only grounds upon one can say unpaid medical bills get passed along to the taxpayer is to claim that Medicare and Medicaid's reimbursement rates are artificially high to make up for the people who won't pay their medical bills.

Unpaid bills however do get passed on to those who carry private insurance. Saying it's the tax payers paying is wrong and unless they have Medi**** then we shouldn't see any of it.
Medicare is partially funded by the general fund in addition to premiums and payroll taxes. Furthermore medicare costs are expected to increase drastically from causes unrelated to an aging population. Thus any inefficiency in the health care system will cost medicare and income tax payers.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:00 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Which is a government program correct? That we pay into with SS tax? That not everyone collects on but still comes out of our pockets?
You are catching on. Listen, you need to start earning more so as to pay more taxes, because I may need more Medical work done. So quit wasting time on the internet, and get to work.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:02 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Some tests, X-rays etc., they may not cover, and then require the patient to pay tens of thousands in out -of -pocket costs, and co-pays.
.......requiring them to cover everything under the sun is one of the reasons insurance is so expensive. I don't know about you but if given the choice between great insurance I couldn't possibly afford or an affordable policy that is going to cover the big stuff I'm going to take the second choice.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:06 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
The tax payers pay a portion of her bills and people with insurance pay another portion. If you are both you get hit twice. Let me put it this way. When Mary Brown says I don't need no stinking insurance, it isn't as though she isn't going to be running to the hospital when she needs treatment. What will happen is what she did, run to the hospital and declare bankruptcy afterwords refusing to pay. This makes her a freeloader. Freeloaders result in health care becoming more expensive for people who have personal responsibility and insure they are covered if they get sick.

In addition to taking a hit on our health insurance premiums from freeloaders who lack personal responsibility like Mary Brown, we take a hit on our taxes as well. This is because tax payers fund medicare which is a health insurance plan for people over 65. Basically to offset the freeloaders the hospital has to make it up from paying clients and one of the biggest payers is the tax payers though medicare. As a result taxpayers end up paying a large portion of her medical bills indirectly since the hospital has to get the money to stay open somewhere.

Obamacare solves this problem by forcing the freeloaders to pay a fine so they have some skin in the game. Part of me doesn't understand how conservatives can complain about welfare freeloaders who do not pay income tax, but will ardently defend medical freeloaders right to freeload.
If Mary Brown didn't use taxpayer funded services, then you didn't take a hit on your taxes through her use of medical care. Filing for bankruptcy does NOT mean you paid for it as a taxpayer. I'm not sure where you, or anyone else is coming up with this idea.

You're using a version of the multiplier effect on bankruptcy.....I don't think it logically applies....especially not in the case of such of this lady, whose medical bills were small. But I do understand your point as it applies to the macro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies