Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 10:17 AM

78,329 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Demographics makes for the very definition of what is "Bible Belt" and everything associated with it.
Yep, high proportion of blacks and religious people.

Now take the "studies" some of the people here are referencing about murder and whatnot but instead of blaming religious people in the belt, blame blacks.

Just trying to point out how people rationalize bigotry because of their politics. Congratulations, you guys are no better than some of the far right....using the same crap stat analysis to draw conclusions to meet your needs.

Faux social libs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 10:33 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,324,505 times
Yes, the Bible Belt is still an appropriate name for the region due to the prominence of Biblical fundamentalism influencing major decisions of life.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:39 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yep, high proportion of blacks and religious people.

Now take the "studies" some of the people here are referencing about murder and whatnot but instead of blaming religious people in the belt, blame blacks.

Just trying to point out how people rationalize bigotry because of their politics. Congratulations, you guys are no better than some of the far right....using the same crap stat analysis to draw conclusions to meet your needs.

Faux social libs.
So now that we have your definition of the demographic that is the Bible Belt, and that it is really the black people responsible for all the problems. But that doesn't surprise me coming from a "real social liberal". That is very consistent with people who work on "real" versus "faux" operatives.

Tell me why Goldwater was unpopular in the south? Was it the black people? You've pretended a lot to be unlike those "conservative republicans". Now may be the time to prove it.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
So now that we have your definition of the demographic that is the Bible Belt, and that it is really the black people responsible for all the problems.
I was giving an example as to how some bigots might twist statistics to push an agenda vs. blacks or christians. *cough*

Outright lying about what I wrote is pretty vile.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I was giving an example as to how some bigots might twist statistics to push an agenda vs. blacks or christians. *cough*

Outright lying about what I wrote is pretty vile.
Then we should go back... what makes the Bible Belt an exception? What makes the Bible Belt different from others?

Old 04-11-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Then we should go back... what makes the Bible Belt an exception? What makes the Bible Belt different from others?
I won't waste further time on the uneducated and dishonest.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
I won't waste further time on the uneducated and dishonest.
Funny, again. Just say you would rather not. That would be consistent with your typical approach. You seemed to dwell more on blacks and Christians than daring to touch why Goldwater was unpopular in the South whereas Wallace was the pick... must be because of blacks? Thats Bible Belt for you. Learn it, and but don't lose your sleep over it.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:56 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
pretty much..

Old 04-11-2012, 03:36 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Let's be honest, is the Bible belt really the Bible belt? Is it just a name that folks in that region like to make themselves feel better?
As someone who has stayed in hotels in that area while traveling as well as moving, I can assure you, they ARE the Bible belt. I knew it was a religious area but even I was shocked when I turned on the t.v.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:30 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
You linked to a study that no one with even a modest education in statistics would look at without bursting into laughter. You must be so proud.

It's the equivalent of some stormfront "statistician" comparing murder rates in rawanda to Ireland and drawing the conclusion that blacks are murderers because of their skin color.
Is it the weather or the conservatism that causes the high murder rate in the bible belt?

Most dangerous states: Crime rankings for 2010 - DailyFinance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies