Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2012, 09:48 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
So you live there in Sanford? Did you know Zimmerman and had there been a string of burglaries in the area? You're the first poster from the neighborhood that has posted that I have noticed.
Quote:
My mistake. I don't live there and have never been there. I meant 210 ft from HIS door.. Sorry about that.
OK, thanks. That's the first I saw that placed the shooting only 210 feet from Martin's (fathers?) home.

That actually adds another piece to the puzzle that doesn't add up. He's well under 100 yards, a distance that a 17 year old football player would in all likelyhood be able to cover in well under 10 seconds. Posters here and and the media have tried to portray how scared Martin was of this guy that was following him. If he was really that scared, why didn't he just run the 70 yards home?

Don't get me wrong, he shouldn't have to. But it does pretty well undercut the arguement that he was so terrified of this man that was following him.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:54 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needTXinfo View Post
Well actually, we have a pretty good guess based on the indictment. She would have alluded to blockbuster evidence like forensics showing a gunshot far away, or a police conspiracy, or an eyewitness seeing him chase Trayvon down.

Instead, we got exactly what we expected - regurgitation of stuff we already know, with the prosecutor's immoral spin on it. She focused on him "ignoring" the dispatch orders (which could only be based on the tape we all have, and which amounts to speculation), and the girlfriend's completely tainted and unreliable statement.

This is a political prosecution. It happens.
You are not entitled to get more information. Why would you think that you are?

Quote:
The judge found sufficient evidence to support the charges, clearing the way to send the case to a trial court.

“I do find there was probable cause for charges as portrayed in the information,” Herr said at the hearing, held at a detention facility in Sanford.

At the request of Zimmerman’s attorney, the judge ordered the case file sealed except for the probable cause affidavit.
Zimmerman Arraignment Set for May 29 - Businessweek

Quote:
"I was surprised," Michelle Jacobs, a defense attorney and law professor at the University of Florida who teaches about the role of race in prosecutions, said about the charge. She said she expected at most a manslaughter charge.

"The evidence must be a lot tighter than the news has portrayed it to be," she said.
She said it is possible Corey charged a higher offense in case Zimmerman wants to plead to a lower charge.

"As a prosecutor," Jacobs said, "you want to give yourself bargaining room."

Little by way of physical evidence has been released publicly. Lawrence Kobilinsky, a forensics expert at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice, said the physical evidence — the autopsy and ballistics reports, for example — are likely to play an important role for the prosecution because the eyewitness accounts are unreliable.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...iew/54167820/1

Last edited by sickofnyc; 04-13-2012 at 10:08 AM..

Old 04-13-2012, 10:03 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,738,937 times
Both of these brothers were wrong. And, if they could do it all over again, they each would have done something differently. Mr. Zimmerman had no business following Mr. Martin. But, Mr. Martin didn't have to stop and engage in an altercation. The white brother approached the black brother, when he should have let the police handle it. And, the black brother stopped and fought with the white brother, when he should have kept walking. Finally, the white brother shot the black brother, when he could have fought with his hands and yelled for help. See where I'm going? THEY WERE BOTH WRONG! And now, as a result of each of them making bad decisions, one is dead, and the other is sitting in jail fearing for his safety.

I can't blame either of them for their actions. We all make mistakes. I know a black guy, who lives in a all white neighborhood. And if he sees another black guy, walking around the neighborhood, he'll be suspicious. Not because he's racist, but because he doesn't recognize this strange face in the neighborhood. I totally understand that. But, he wouldn't follow anyone - that's different. Now, on the other hand, I also know a lot of black people who are very confrontational, and they don't call the police to handle their problems. For whatever reason, they'd rather handle it themselves. I mean, you better not even look at one of these cats the wrong way - let alone follow 'em. Are you kidding me? *lol* So, I could definitely see Mr. Martin standing his ground, and giving Mr. Zimmerman the business. I'm not saying it's right. But, what I'm saying is, I could see that happening. Now, I'm sure, if Mr. Zimmerman was capable of handling Mr. Martin, with his bare hands, he would've done it. But, the problem is, once there was a physical altercation between them, Mr. Zimmerman clearly had his hands full. So, he had to do, what he had to do - and the rest is history.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... this was the perfect storm. And, it's sad for both families, not just one of them. I think all of us should stop pointing fingers. Because, it's a tragedy either way you look at it.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:06 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,425,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
Both of these brothers were wrong. And, if they could do it all over again, they each would have done something differently. Mr. Zimmerman had no business following Mr. Martin. But, Mr. Martin didn't have to stop and engage in an altercation. The white brother approached the black brother, when he should have let the police handle it. And, the black brother stopped and fought with the white brother, when he should have kept walking. Finally, the white brother shot the black brother, when he could have fought with his hands and yelled for help. See where I'm going? THEY WERE BOTH WRONG! And now, as a result of each of them making bad decisions, one is dead, and the other is sitting in jail fearing for his safety.

I can't blame either of them for their actions. We all make mistakes. I know a black guy, who lives in a all white neighborhood. And if he sees another black guy, walking around the neighborhood, he'll be suspicious. Not because he's racist, but because he doesn't recognize this strange face in the neighborhood. I totally understand that. But, he wouldn't follow anyone - that's different. Now, on the other hand, I also know a lot of black people who are very confrontational, and they don't call the police to handle their problems. For whatever reason, they'd rather handle it themselves. I mean, you better not even look at one of these cats the wrong way - let alone follow 'em. Are you kidding me? *lol* So, I could definitely see Mr. Martin standing his ground, and giving Mr. Zimmerman the business. I'm not saying it's right. But, what I'm saying is, I could see that happening. Now, I'm sure, if Mr. Zimmerman was capable of handling Mr. Martin, with his bare hands, he would've done it. But, the problem is, once there was a physical altercation between them, Mr. Zimmerman clearly had his hands full. So, he had to do, what he had to do - and the rest is history.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... this was the perfect storm. And, it's sad for both families, not just one of them. I think all of us should stop pointing fingers. Because, it's a tragedy either way you look at it.
That was very thoughtful and probably one of the most honest commentaries I've read on the situation.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:11 AM

628 posts, read 1,316,262 times
Quote:

Very well stated!

Old 04-13-2012, 10:16 AM

1,765 posts, read 2,197,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
Who, Baez? Baez has already come out an publicly stated that the lack of Zman's injuries in the police video , don't mean squat? I disagree but if Baez represented Zman, he would walk, no doubt.

No GZ...

Old 04-13-2012, 10:17 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,257,854 times
Quote:
But, the problem is, once there was a physical altercation between them, Mr. Zimmerman clearly had his hands full. So, he had to do, what he had to do
No....we don't know that he "had to" shoot Trayvon.

We don't know that at all.

What we DO know is that Zimmerman took it upon himself to take police matters into his own hands. He initiated the entire incident by not doing what the dispatcher told him to do - "we don't need you to do that."

If he hadn't been on some sort of self-assisgned, armed "mission" to clean up his neighborhood, that kid would still be alive and Zimmerman himself wouldn't be in jail.

But, we do NOT know that he did what he "had to do" by killing a kid.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:25 AM

19,648 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
This is how I feel as well. I think Zimmerman was playing overzealous "cop" and Martin was playing "gangsta", neither backing down and the collision of those personalities in that situation was just that- a perfect storm to end in tragedy.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:30 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
No....we don't know that he "had to" shoot Trayvon.

We don't know that at all.

What we DO know is that Zimmerman took it upon himself to take police matters into his own hands. He initiated the entire incident by not doing what the dispatcher told him to do - "we don't need you to do that."

If he hadn't been on some sort of self-assisgned, armed "mission" to clean up his neighborhood, that kid would still be alive and Zimmerman himself wouldn't be in jail.

But, we do NOT know that he did what he "had to do" by killing a kid.
It's also mind blowing that some people cannot understand what a black teen might feel when being followed/stalked by a stranger. Any child is told to do whatever it takes to not allow themselves to be accosted or to allow a stranger to get too physically close. There are serial killers that have abducted people and if Zimmerman failed to explain to Trayvon who he was and what he wanted, how is a kid supposed to feel? I don't care how tall Trayvon was, he had the brains and sensibilities of a teen. Black teens are told by their parents not to run because someone might racially profile them and assume that they are running from a crime they committed. How sad! Maybe this is why Trayvon told his girlfiriend he would walk fast as opposed to running when he was on the phone with her.

I love these thinly veiled biased posts that blame both Zimmerman and Martin when clearly Zimmerman was the adult with the gun and history of violence. Really!

Old 04-13-2012, 10:31 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Exactly. I think the Prosecutor did him a favor by setting her sights so high. They could have had a slam dunk on manslaughter, they are going to have a REAL tough time proving murder 2.
She's looking for a plea deal. If no deal, they'll add lesser charges at trial. Who knows, maybe he'll be convicted of harassment, child abuse, or leaving a vehicle against dispacher's recommendation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies