Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2012, 04:31 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,568,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
"Mitt" is not his first name...he's actually "Willard Mitt Romney". Sorry, but NOBODY is getting far in life with a name like "Willard", and he's smart to go by his middle name.
I know, that was my point. One could say the same about Barry. btw he was 2 when his sperm donor 'bounced' and went back to his wife and child in Kenya. It's not like he ever lived with Stanley anyway.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:51 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,210,521 times
OP,

It seems you won't be satisfied until you get the recognition you are seeking. So here goes:

Dear Victorian Punk,

We have received your request to identify with the Italian side of your heritage. Though we hate to see you go, we respect your wishes and your application has been approved.

Please accept our apologies for past ill treatment. We hope that your experiences with the more brash members of the black race haven’t harmed your sensibilities too much. We are a race of people that run the gamut from the project dweller to the inhabitants of the White House. As you wish to be respected for your individuality, we only hope that you respect the differences in others.

Best wishes to you in your journey towards self-discovery. We hope that it is an enlightening experience for you, both here in the US and in Italy.

ps. Though we appreciate your attached application on behalf of Barack Obama, we regret we must deny your request. We're keeping him.

Ciao!

The 100% Fully Black American Caucus

Last edited by ChocLot; 04-14-2012 at 08:01 PM..

Old 04-14-2012, 07:20 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,787,412 times
Now how many Blacks were murdered by other Blacks? Let's forget
about the past 144 years. Let's forget about the last decade. Let's
just take one single year. According to the FBI's Crime Statistics for the year 2004, there were 16,137 murders in that year, of which 6,632 of the victims were Black.

The same data show that for single victim/single offender incidents
of which there were 3,067 Black victims, 92.2 percent of them, or 2827,
were murdered by black offenders. Extrapolating for multiple
victim/single offender incidents for the remaining 3,565 Black victims
gives us 3,286 Blacks killed by other Blacks. So in one single year,
Blacks killed more than 6,000 other Blacks.

That's right - in one year, Blacks have murdered more of their own than the KKK killed in a century and a half of lynchings

Old 04-14-2012, 07:23 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,568,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
just take one single year. According to the FBI's Crime Statistics for the year 2004, there were 16,137 murders in that year, of which 6,632 of the victims were Black.

That's right - in one year, Blacks have murdered more of their own than the KKK killed in a century and a half of lynchings
Sity, have you read the op?

Old 04-14-2012, 07:33 PM

191 posts, read 242,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
And this is precisely the problem that he is referring to that some blacks in here refuse to own up to.

Being "black" isn't defined by how others see you or how many racist sentiments a person can accumulate over a life time. From what I've observed and as per his example, some blacks are simply threatened by the very idea that not everyone subscribes to the one-drop rule.

You can see this very same emotion come to light when the very idea of Barack Obama being biracial is mentioned as opposed to his just being black. Many if not most blacks absolutely lose their minds over the very notion. I also believe that if BO woke up one day and announced that he was just as much black as he was white--he would lose alot of credibility in the black community.
I think that you and the OP are still missing the point. For the most part, Black people don't really care if somebody identifies them selves as biracial. I mean the biggest hip hop act right now is a Black Jewish Canadian guy. My problem with the OP is that he brings up Black stereotypes to back up his claims and that leads me to think that he has a problem with his Blackness. And maybe that's the reason he's going so hard on being called Italian in addition to Black.

I could be wrong, though.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:40 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,210,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post

So that makes what the KKK did okay? Was exactly is your point with this?

BTW, how many of these deaths were drugs/gang-related?

Old 04-14-2012, 08:00 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,304,767 times
Quote:
Yes, I have met plenty of blacks who get where I'm coming from, and plenty of whites who are the same way. I am colored, meaning obviously not white, but at the same time I'm obviously not black...we should bring back the word "colored", because it encompasses blacks as well as Asian, Latinos and mixed people, and that was what segregation was about, separating blacks from coloreds.

I know I am not white, but at the same time I am not black, as countless blacks have made it clear over my life. So, I should embrace a people who make it clear I'm not one of them while ignoring my own family heritage? Really?
I can understand why some mulattoes prefer to be called black: you have an instant identity and a community. It's easier being a part of a 14% minority than being part of a 2% minority.
The only thing your post proves is that race is a social construct. Subject to interpretation by different societies and different eras in time.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:27 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
And this is precisely the problem that he is referring to that some blacks in here refuse to own up to.

Being "black" isn't defined by how others see you or how many racist sentiments a person can accumulate over a life time. From what I've observed and as per his example, some blacks are simply threatened by the very idea that not everyone subscribes to the one-drop rule.

You can see this very same emotion come to light when the very idea of Barack Obama being biracial is mentioned as opposed to his just being black. Many if not most blacks absolutely lose their minds over the very notion. I also believe that if BO woke up one day and announced that he was just as much black as he was white--he would lose alot of credibility in the black community.
The one-drop rule comes up from time to time on this board and you are correct it appears many African Americans are deathly threatened by this being repudiated. A couple of us from an African background called the rule silly and racist. We pointed out that a person with a drop of Asian blood is not considered Asian so why are Blacks tagged with this rule? As if Black blood somehow taints an individual and makes them Black no matter how white appearing they appear to be.

The African Americans on the thread couldn't grasp this concept and accused us of self-hate. Which was baffling to me. The legacy of the plantation dies hard even in the 21st century.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:11 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,476,095 times
Quote:
If you are only 7-14% European and 3-5% Native (as most blacks are) and have two black parents and grew up around only black culture, and look black, you are black. I am 50% Italian American, lived a big chunk of my life surrounded by Italian family members who spoke Italian, and look Dominican or Latino. Hence, I can't really say I'm 100% black.
Hence, Obama isn't really black, considering he was raised by white people and is half white...hell, I'm "blacker" than Obama, because at least I have slave blood in my veins and grew up around black culture, instead of some Kenyan sperm donor who bounced when he was three.
Interesting, That still doesn't make a person a pure "black". Just to let you know historically the term African American or Black in the country of the United States refers to people that possess African heritage regardless of the percentage. Also it is an inclusive label but you don't have to use it if you don't want. Since Obama is of African heritage and born in this country he can identify himself as black if he wants and it would just be as accurate if he chose to identify himself as mixed.

I think it is funny that you complain about people labeling you want you don't want to be labeled but you go on in this thread and label other people as you see fit. Do you see the hypocrisy in that?

Oh and I really don't care what you call yourself, just be American.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:34 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
You sound really young from your OP. I hope you mature some with age and not care so much about what other people think of you.

Who cares what you call yourself.

And FWIW, most black people don't have Native American ancestry, most black people have white ancestry, like yourself. I would bet that I am nearly the same black/white DNA component as yourself, but I see myself as a black American. I love being black, even with the inclusion of the crazy black people I know. There are crazy, bigoted, prejudicial, stereotypical, idiotic people of every background. What the other black people do or say has no bearing on who I am.

Like I said, I hope you mature with age and become more comfortable within yourself. It is too bad that you think you have to chose an ethnicity. Being black doesn't mean you must negate your Italian/native ancestry either BTW. Like I said, I am black and have a lot of white ancestry, mostly English. I love the English part of me, but I am black and don't have a problem with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies