Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 06:47 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Yikes you don't want to get into a linking war do you? The fact remains Ghana has a lower crime rate than the USA's. The USA rate is driven disproportionately by African Americans.
I'm not running around trying to tell other (read, white) people how superior my supposed people are to others. And I hardly believe I could live in any neighborhood in Ghana that's going to be safer than the one I live in right now.

As well, I'm pretty sure that the worst parts of Philadelphia or Camden or Washington, to name three places I'm sure you are aware of, are veritable paradises compared to the worst parts of Accra or Kumasi.

At least we know that here in America we're not going to have to worry about any violent overthrow of our government or the recriminations that go with that.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:52 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
By "they all" I mean all the ghetto people I lived around...and when people talk about modern black culture that is EXACTLY what they are talking about, being ghetto. If you're not ghetto and speak proper English, eat healthy etc you are no longer "authentically black." Read some Thomas Sowell, he says the same thing...

...but I guess this fellow here is another "self hating black man" huh?

He Talk Like a White Boy: Joseph C. Phillips: Amazon.com: Books
Here's a good book for you to read...

The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-29-2012, 06:53 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynight View Post
What about us Caribbeans? Where do we fit on the rank of black cultures?
A lot better IMHO some of the best Black run countries are in the Caribbean. Jamaica and of course Haiti are glaring exceptions but the Jamaicans and Haitians I've met in America have been superb. They make good dating and marriage partners for Africans.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:58 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I'm not running around trying to tell other (read, white) people how superior my supposed people are to others. And I hardly believe I could live in any neighborhood in Ghana that's going to be safer than the one I live in right now.
Prime example of the different mindsets, you all put so much emphasis on what white people thinks That's the most important thing it seems to African Americans, more important than fixing the problems in their communities.

Quote:
As well, I'm pretty sure that the worst parts of Philadelphia or Camden or Washington, to name three places I'm sure you are aware of, are veritable paradises compared to the worst parts of Accra or Kumasi.
That is very debatable. While thanks to welfare those in the ghettoes of Camden and Philly maybe materially better off than the poorest Ghanaians. In terms of depravity I think the ghettos of Camden and Philly have Ghanaians beat.

Quote:
At least we know that here in America we're not going to have to worry about any violent overthrow of our government or the recriminations that go with that.
True but that has nothing to do with African Americans but Anglo Saxon systems of governance.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:14 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
Yep, so will I. So much for that African superiority over Black Americans that he delusionally thinks exists.
Ed's on my ignore list so I've been spared most of his post, but I was curious about why this thread remains floating near the top so I decided to peak in.

I've met and known black folks from the continent since I was a little kid, and I always fondly remember the the kinship and solidarity that they had with their American cuzans, as we say in Louisiana. Only recently have I been exposed to the African ex-pats who walk around with phony air of superiority and I think to myself, "self, who are these Maryland Farmers? If it had been for the inferior African American brothers and sisters fighting and dying just 50 years ago, these folks, even with a Phd and an off the chart IQ wouldn't have been able to get a job as ditch digger, so who the frack do they think they are?"

Now let me first say that I understand and I am sympathetic to why things are the way the are in Africa but it begs the question, "If you are so damned superior, why is your country of origin such a shiite hole that it doesn't compare with the poorest county in rural Mississippi? Why did you leave it in the first place. And most importantly why do you spend so much time denigrating the very people who paved the way for any chance of success in this country?"

Of course I never get an answer and I suspect that is because they don't have one.

So Edward, I glad that you can come to America and find success, but I would prefer that you just say thank you to the your genetic cousins and go about your frankin buisness.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:15 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Prime example of the different mindsets, you all put so much emphasis on what white people thinks That's the most important thing it seems to African Americans, more important than fixing the problems in their communities.

Dude. Every one of your posts demonizing African Americans is aimed at white people. And I work every day to deal with problems in my community, but there's not much I can do in Princeton, NJ in the limited time I have.

Quote:
That is very debatable. While thanks to welfare those in the ghettoes of Camden and Philly maybe materially better off than the poorest Ghanaians. In terms of depravity I think the ghettos of Camden and Philly have Ghanaians beat.
I think it's a push at best.

Quote:
True but that has nothing to do with African Americans but Anglo Saxon systems of governance.
So basically you are conceding that your culture is inferior to that of the Anglo-Saxon. What was that you were saying about sucking up to the white man and caring about what the white man thinks of you?

Old 04-29-2012, 07:24 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,476,095 times
Lol at Edward. I bet he thinks Zimbabwe is better run than black cities. Anything anti-Black American I see. In a link war, Edward wouldn't have a foot to stand on. But, I digress. I hate it when black people on the internet are fighting back and forth about which black people are worse. Save that Sh*t for [domain blocked due to spam]. In case you guys didn't get the memo nobody likes us. lol. It doesn't matter if you are from Africa, the Caribbean, Australia or The United States, there will always be a general consensus about black people in general. Once you realize that then maybe steps can be made to go forward.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:30 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,202,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RioDominicana View Post
I think the OP (and most people for that matter) should realize that the concept of race in America, has very little to do with actual genetics and more to do with appearance and acculturation. The terms white and black were reserved for people who not only fit the phenotypical definition but also the cultural one. In the past some Italians were even forced to attend segregated schools with black children instead of white children, because they didn't "appear white enough" to blend in with mainstream White America, despite the fact that they were European in ancestry. You may choose to view yourself as whatever you wish but at the end of the day race perspective in America is much more the result of how you look to society rather than what your genetic makeup is.

^^ And this is it in a nutshell. It's usually what you LOOK like, not what your actual DNA is. That's just how it is. So, you can claim to be anything you want, but to outsiders, you will be WHAT YOU MOST LOOK LIKE. I am half black/white also. I am light skinned with green eyes, but I do NOT look pure white. Most people would call me black, but then as a side note, say I look mixed. There are a smaller percentage that think i look hispanic, but no one that thinks i look all white.

I identify as black, and I AM seen as black in society. I was adopted, and my biological father was white, and my biological mother was black. However both my adopted parents are black, and I grew up in a black neighborhood. So, its just what I identify MORE as. It's not that i want to deny the white side, but I dont know much about it. If i need to check a box on some paperwork, I put black. But, if people who know me want to break down my ancestery, then I will explain the mixed thing. Most of my friends know I am mixed anyway.

It's not something I walk around worrying about though. It's not going to matter one way or another.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:31 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,909,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynight View Post
What about us Caribbeans? Where do we fit on the rank of black cultures?
I dunno. An Afro-German to me is just "German" tho he's part or full Black. The Irish rock band; Thin Lizzy, the singer and bassman, Phil Lynott would be a "Black" dude in the US; to me I saw him as a "Irish" brother. I'm mostly Gaelic Irish tho I speak just English.

Phil Lynott - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-29-2012, 07:36 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Ed's on my ignore list so I've been spared most of his post, but I was curious about why this thread remains floating near the top so I decided to peak in.

I've met and known black folks from the continent since I was a little kid, and I always fondly remember the the kinship and solidarity that they had with their American cuzans, as we say in Louisiana. Only recently have I been exposed to the African ex-pats who walk around with phony air of superiority and I think to myself, "self, who are these Maryland Farmers? If it had been for the inferior African American brothers and sisters fighting and dying just 50 years ago, these folks, even with a Phd and an off the chart IQ wouldn't have been able to get a job as ditch digger, so who the frack do they think they are?"

Now let me first say that I understand and I am sympathetic to why things are the way the are in Africa but it begs the question, "If you are so damned superior, why is your country of origin such a shiite hole that it doesn't compare with the poorest county in rural Mississippi? Why did you leave it in the first place. And most importantly why do you spend so much time denigrating the very people who paved the way for any chance of success in this country?"

Of course I never get an answer and I suspect that is because they don't have one.

So Edward, I glad that you can come to America and find success, but I would prefer that you just say thank you to the your genetic cousins and go about your frankin buisness.
Preach it! As a 4 year old child I was so proud to march with my grandma twice with Dr. King. While I get angry at how far backward the rappers and other thugs have taken us, to have some transplanted African whose parents were too cowardly to do anything but flee his 3rd world hellhole country talk smack infuriates me far more.

Your post is dead on. So good I wish I could rep you twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies