Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 07:45 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,427,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
He said he is mixed not Black how is this self-hate? He says he doesn't want to be associated with ghetto blacks and their negative, regressive culture how is this self-hate? It seems to me it's the opposite, he thinks so highly of himself he refuses to be defined by folks still stuck on the plantation mentally and who put in inordinate amount of stock in group think.

The definition of self hatred:Self-hatred (also called self-loathing) refers to an extreme dislike or hatred of oneself, or being angry at or even prejudiced towards oneself. The term is also used to designate a dislike or hatred of a group, family, social class, mental illness, or stereotype to which one belongs and/or has. For instance, "ethnic self-hatred" is the extreme dislike of one's ethnic group or cultural classification.The term self-hatred can refer to either a strong dislike for oneself, one's own actions, or a strong dislike or hatred of one's own race, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, species or any other corporate group of which one may be a member.

The definition of Uncle Tom:a black person who behaves in a subservient manner to white people; or any person perceived to be a participant in the oppression of their own group.

If you don't believe the OP doesn't display any signs of the above, you are mistaken. First, the angry attitude or dislike of a group or stereotype. If you are half black, it is still your ethnic group whether half or whole. He doesn't think there are white ghettos? He is sadly mistaken. Are there Hispanic ghettos? Of course! He is in denial and stereotyping half of his culture is a form of self hate.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:47 PM

347 posts, read 696,126 times
I think a lot of the disconnect between African Americans and other people of African descent(including the Caribbean diaspora) is the fault of both sides.
African Americans it would seem are extremely defined by their race in a way other blacks generally aren't. Furthermore being American they tend to lack world perspective including that of what it means to be black outside of America. So basically they apply their own narrow American specific definition of blackness to people from other countries which simply doesn't work outside the American model of race or blackness (consider for eg that in many majority black countries the concept of blackness doesn't even exist any more than an Anglo American conceptualises their whiteness and what non whites think of their whiteness.
African and Caribbean blacks' first interaction with AA culture is through American media which based on it, any reasonable foreigner would assume is a trite garbage culture. So they migrate to the US with certain views already in their heads about AAs. Only to find that they are seen as AAs there by basically everyone, and this repulses them. Now I'm not AA and have actually never met one but forming one's opinions off tv is dangerous. White American media enjoys portraying most non whites of all nationalities as uncivilised, ungovernable, corrupt you name it. I wouldn't form an opinion on any culture based on it.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:51 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,427,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
^^ And this is it in a nutshell. It's usually what you LOOK like, not what your actual DNA is. That's just how it is. So, you can claim to be anything you want, but to outsiders, you will be WHAT YOU MOST LOOK LIKE. I am half black/white also. I am light skinned with green eyes, but I do NOT look pure white. Most people would call me black, but then as a side note, say I look mixed. There are a smaller percentage that think i look hispanic, but no one that thinks i look all white.

I identify as black, and I AM seen as black in society. I was adopted, and my biological father was white, and my biological mother was black. However both my adopted parents are black, and I grew up in a black neighborhood. So, its just what I identify MORE as. It's not that i want to deny the white side, but I dont know much about it. If i need to check a box on some paperwork, I put black. But, if people who know me want to break down my ancestery, then I will explain the mixed thing. Most of my friends know I am mixed anyway.

It's not something I walk around worrying about though. It's not going to matter one way or another.
You get it! My daughter looks mixed. She has light eyes, very light skin and straight hair. But her dad is Haitian and I'm African American. Many people think I'm mixed not because of my skin color but because I have gray eyes. I have a medium skinned color maybe like Janet Jackson or Gabrielle Union. I'm not dark or light, rather in the middle. So people call it how they see it. But sometimes what they see isn't correct.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:58 PM

674 posts, read 698,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
Preach it! As a 4 year old child I was so proud to march with my grandma twice with Dr. King. While I get angry at how far backward the rappers and other thugs have taken us, to have some transplanted African whose parents were too cowardly to do anything but flee his 3rd world hellhole country talk smack infuriates me far more.

Your post is dead on. So good I wish I could rep you twice.
Ghana is not a hellhole. It is true that EdwardA is disrespectful towards black Americans but are you any better when you are disrespectful in return?

Old 04-29-2012, 08:03 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Yes, because you honor your ancestors by fleeing your country.
Indeed, he does while doing everything in his power to denigrate Black Americans, many of whose ancestors died to make his presence in this country a possibility.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:06 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
I think a lot of the disconnect between African Americans and other people of African descent(including the Caribbean diaspora) is the fault of both sides.
African Americans it would seem are extremely defined by their race in a way other blacks generally aren't. Furthermore being American they tend to lack world perspective including that of what it means to be black outside of America. So basically they apply their own narrow American specific definition of blackness to people from other countries which simply doesn't work outside the American model of race or blackness (consider for eg that in many majority black countries the concept of blackness doesn't even exist any more than an Anglo American conceptualises their whiteness and what non whites think of their whiteness.
African and Caribbean blacks' first interaction with AA culture is through American media which based on it, any reasonable foreigner would assume is a trite garbage culture. So they migrate to the US with certain views already in their heads about AAs. Only to find that they are seen as AAs there by basically everyone, and this repulses them. Now I'm not AA and have actually never met one but forming one's opinions off tv is dangerous. White American media enjoys portraying most non whites of all nationalities as uncivilised, ungovernable, corrupt you name it. I wouldn't form an opinion on any culture based on it.
Good post. Although I disagree the reason why many foreigners have negative views of African Americans is not because of the media but interacting with them. That's the brutal truth. In fact African-Americans are depicted positively overseas for the most part.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Ed's on my ignore list so I've been spared most of his post, but I was curious about why this thread remains floating near the top so I decided to peak in.

I've met and known black folks from the continent since I was a little kid, and I always fondly remember the the kinship and solidarity that they had with their American cuzans, as we say in Louisiana. Only recently have I been exposed to the African ex-pats who walk around with phony air of superiority and I think to myself, "self, who are these Maryland Farmers? If it had been for the inferior African American brothers and sisters fighting and dying just 50 years ago, these folks, even with a Phd and an off the chart IQ wouldn't have been able to get a job as ditch digger, so who the frack do they think they are?"

Now let me first say that I understand and I am sympathetic to why things are the way the are in Africa but it begs the question, "If you are so damned superior, why is your country of origin such a shiite hole that it doesn't compare with the poorest county in rural Mississippi? Why did you leave it in the first place. And most importantly why do you spend so much time denigrating the very people who paved the way for any chance of success in this country?"

Of course I never get an answer and I suspect that is because they don't have one.

So Edward, I glad that you can come to America and find success, but I would prefer that you just say thank you to the your genetic cousins and go about your frankin buisness.
Quote:
Preach it! As a 4 year old child I was so proud to march with my grandma twice with Dr. King. While I get angry at how far backward the rappers and other thugs have taken us, to have some transplanted African whose parents were too cowardly to do anything but flee his 3rd world hellhole country talk smack infuriates me far more.

Your post is dead on. So good I wish I could rep you twice.
I was born in the USA to Ghanaian immigrant parents, I have never lived in Ghana and have visited once, thus I'm not an immigrant. Why is this difficult to comprehend?

Old 04-29-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Lol at Edward. I bet he thinks Zimbabwe is better run than black cities. Anything anti-Black American I see. In a link war, Edward wouldn't have a foot to stand on. But, I digress. I hate it when black people on the internet are fighting back and forth about which black people are worse. Save that Sh*t for [domain blocked due to spam]. In case you guys didn't get the memo nobody likes us. lol. It doesn't matter if you are from Africa, the Caribbean, Australia or The United States, there will always be a general consensus about black people in general. Once you realize that then maybe steps can be made to go forward.
Please provide links. Zimbabwe is a poorly run country but they too have a better culture than African Americans, IMHO. Frankly most cultures that don't celebrate degeneracy and illegitimacy would be better.

Again, like the OP, others don't define me, I define myself. That is the fundamental difference between Africans and African Americans. African Americans have allowed others to define themselves.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:15 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I was born in the USA to Ghanaian immigrant parents, I have never lived in Ghana and have visited once, thus I'm not an immigrant. Why is this difficult to comprehend?
I heard you the first time negro. I am fully aware that you are an anchor baby. The only reason you are a citizen by default is because your parents are cowards who fled to America and the deliberate misinterpretation of the 14th Amendment by our stupid government.

Yet you have the balls to criticize the descendants of those who made it possible for your citizenship by default possible in this country?

What an insufferable, delusional asshat you are.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
I heard you the first time negro. I am fully aware that you are an anchor baby. The only reason you are a citizen by default is because of the deliberate misinterpretation of the 14th Amendment.

Yet you have the balls to criticize the descendants of those who made it possible for your citizenship by default possible in this country?

What an insufferable, delusional asshat you are.
Both of my parents became naturalized citizens before I reached 18 thus even without the 14th amendment I would still be a citizen. America is for everyone don't be mad because your people are squandering the opportunity. It's not our fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies