Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2012, 02:48 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,982,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
The funny part is "Ebonics" didn't start in Africa; it was lower class WHITE English of 400 years ago. I'm mostly Irish but the word is my Scots Irish ancestors spoke what would sound like Ebonics. There ain't nothing "African" about it except many Blacks here in the US claim it as "their" own. Speaking proper English WILL help a lot especially for Blacks and dark skin Hispanics. Sounds racist but it is what it is.

Exactly. In his book "Black Rednecks and White Liberals" Thomas Sowell explains how a lot of "black culture" was actually taken from the first slave overseers, who were overwhelmingly lower class lowland Scots who ended up in the American colonies because it was either that or jail. That same culture became what is associated with "hillbillies" today, complete with warring clans (family feuds) and lack of emphasis on literacy and education.

Funny, but blacks get angry when I saw we SHOULD NOT EAT PIG INTESTINES BECAUSE THEY ARE DISGUSTING and say "chitlins are a part of YOUR CULTURE" Funny thing is, the word "Chitlin" is actually an old English term for entrails and it has NOTHING to do with anything of African origin.

Jamaican and Caribbean cuisine is closer to what the real Africans ate than any of that artery clogging "soul food" the blacks go on and on about. So much of black "culture" isn't really black at all, but lower class low land Scots it's crazy...but we're all racist if we say that lack of proper English and a fatty diet of fried foods should be abandoned.

In the words of the show "The Boondocks":
Grand Dad: "Huey, that greasy food is your culture!"
Huey: "But Grand Dad, maybe there's something wrong with that culture."

Old 04-25-2012, 02:59 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,982,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
My nephew is half black and half white/mexican and our collective families love this lil tyke. I guess this is why I cannot understand why you are going through so much grief while your sister does not. Could it be your attitude or Napoleon syndrome that is the real probelm? You really need to talk to your family and like Ilovethecommunity said you should not attack the whole black community over things that a few in your own family has done. If you would travel outside of that area you being tormented in you would find that the world is a much different place
Again, for the tenth time:
I have been all over, and blacks generally don't like me, nor do I care for them. The reason my half sister didn't have the problems I did is because SHE'S ALL BLACK! She is a pure, dark skinned member of the "African Master Race," while I'm "the mongrel" and blacks treat me as such.

And again: if white people treat me badly because of my skin, that's racist...if blacks do it, then "I just don't understand the black community" or "it's a misunderstanding."

I'm not "attacking" the "black community", just saying that I have NOTHING IN COMMON WITH MOST OF THEM...I despise hip hop and modern R&B, that's all they listen to. I prefer metal, classical, rock, folk, electronic music, New Wave etc, they don't like that stuff. My favorite cuisine is Dim Sum, they all eat FRIED SOME crap like pig's feet and neck bones in collard greens, which I was raised on but NEVER COULD STAND. They like clothes and basketball, I don't care what I look like unless I'm working and don't watch sports. I flip through books by H.P. Lovecraft and Neil Gaiman, they flip through books of rolling papers etc.

I have nothing in common with the average black and don't care to have to deal with them simply because of a shared African origin ages ago. I may have been raised in "da hood", but I am not of "da hood" and have no desire to see any of those kind of people again.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:35 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,357,036 times
In the poor South (not all the South is poor), white people do the same to other white people. If you are ignorant and poor, they do not want you to get an education because then you are too good for them, you are uppity. They thrive and brag on NOT having an education. Get one anyway.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:07 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,271,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
The funny part is "Ebonics" didn't start in Africa; it was lower class WHITE English of 400 years ago. I'm mostly Irish but the word is my Scots Irish ancestors spoke what would sound like Ebonics. There ain't nothing "African" about it except many Blacks here in the US claim it as "their" own. Speaking proper English WILL help a lot especially for Blacks and dark skin Hispanics. Sounds racist but it is what it is.
That's interesting. Four hundred years ago the majority of the 'labor' in the colonies was white Irish and poor English with some imported Africans who were generally housed together.

There was a discussion of BBC dramas and some complained you couldn't understand a lot of it so why couldn't they just have them all speak 'normal' English. Its normal policy there to record dialect from Cornwall in the Cornish dialect and use subtitles, or cockney or others. It would sound odd to hear a cornish man sound like he was from some other part of england. I suspect as Americans routinely make fun of local American dialects, we don't value them.

Language changes. It's intersting that some of the rhymes in Shakespeare don't rhyme even if they are clearly meant to. But the predominant accent of the time was more like something you'd hear in small town North Carolina than what is *now* a proper accent, which is quite a change. When read in that accent and dialect, those mystery rhymes do rhyme.

How you look and sound *does* matter. One exlandlord of mine was hispanic. His wife looked very Spanish, far lighter in skin and hair as brown as black. The husband said one day, talking to me, that he hated working outside in his job, that her family barely accepted him but in the summer he turned dark enough they didn't want him around. They reflected the old division between Spanish and mostly native Mexicans, the Spanish looking ones being the ones who owned most the land. Attitudes die had, and hange around for a long, long time.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:47 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,271,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I have been all over, and blacks generally don't like me, nor do I care for them. The reason my half sister didn't have the problems I did is because SHE'S ALL BLACK! She is a pure, dark skinned member of the "African Master Race," while I'm "the mongrel" and blacks treat me as such.

And again: if white people treat me badly because of my skin, that's racist...if blacks do it, then "I just don't understand the black community" or "it's a misunderstanding."

I'm not "attacking" the "black community", just saying that I have NOTHING IN COMMON WITH MOST OF THEM...I despise hip hop and modern R&B, that's all they listen to. I prefer metal, classical, rock, folk, electronic music, New Wave etc, they don't like that stuff. My favorite cuisine is Dim Sum, they all eat FRIED SOME crap like pig's feet and neck bones in collard greens, which I was raised on but NEVER COULD STAND. They like clothes and basketball, I don't care what I look like unless I'm working and don't watch sports. I flip through books by H.P. Lovecraft and Neil Gaiman, they flip through books of rolling papers etc.

I have nothing in common with the average black and don't care to have to deal with them simply because of a shared African origin ages ago. I may have been raised in "da hood", but I am not of "da hood" and have no desire to see any of those kind of people again.
Somwhere back a hundred or so messages is one to me which is a rant about the intelectuals among us and the poster clearly doesn't think much of the mindset, or anyone who is. Keyboard died and I can't stand the flat one on the laptop so I lost track of it. (thank you Amazon for such quick shipping) It's not just black or whatever label is used. I grew up in a very white neighborhood. Parents did value education, but since I was one who would rather read a book than play I stuck to my few close friends and got teased and harrassed all the way up to high school where I just got ignored. Different just didn't work for them. There was a kid in my neighborhood who today would belong to MENSA, but to most of the kids, especially the boys, he was the 'wierdo kid'. He's rather study math than play baseball?????? I'm pretty sure he's doing a lot better than they are now.

I don't know if 'black' society is not just reflecing Amercian society in its insistance on 'belonging' to the club. I've never felt 'like' most people, read non-fiction, write, listen to folk music over pretty much anything else, and am a devoted science fiction fan (who loves our conventions to be with my own). Think for myself even if its not the 'right' explanation. But when I decided I didn't care what they thought, I'd be me, it was so much better. If someone wants to think I'm wierd, thats all fine with me. I took away their power to hurt when I decided it was okay to be just who I am.

Keep being the odd man out and yourself because that is how you transcend into being an individual.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:17 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,328,408 times
Quote:
Exactly. In his book "Black Rednecks and White Liberals" Thomas Sowell explains how a lot of "black culture" was actually taken from the first slave overseers, who were overwhelmingly lower class lowland Scots who ended up in the American colonies because it was either that or jail. That same culture became what is associated with "hillbillies" today, complete with warring clans (family feuds) and lack of emphasis on literacy and education.

Funny, but blacks get angry when I saw we SHOULD NOT EAT PIG INTESTINES BECAUSE THEY ARE DISGUSTING and say "chitlins are a part of YOUR CULTURE" Funny thing is, the word "Chitlin" is actually an old English term for entrails and it has NOTHING to do with anything of African origin.

Jamaican and Caribbean cuisine is closer to what the real Africans ate than any of that artery clogging "soul food" the blacks go on and on about. So much of black "culture" isn't really black at all, but lower class low land Scots it's crazy...but we're all racist if we say that lack of proper English and a fatty diet of fried foods should be abandoned.

In the words of the show "The Boondocks":
Grand Dad: "Huey, that greasy food is your culture!"
Huey: "But Grand Dad, maybe there's something wrong with that culture."

That was very insightful and true. Let me add one thing to it. Slaves took the sraps that were given to them from their masters and made it a delicacy by adding the spices from their homelands. This is the reason that pig ears, feet, head, tesicles ect are eaten today, especially in the south. Like you said none of this crap was eaten in Africa to begin with, it was consumed here because they (slaves) had no choice

Old 04-25-2012, 02:24 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,328,408 times
Quote:

My apologies, but it would do you greatly as soon as you can leave that unnatural environment. it's funny that you mention your interest because my son has exactly the same ones and he is relatively dark complexed. The big difference (that I know of) is that he has the full support from his family of whatever he has an interest in. At this time he has taken up learning how to play the base guitar, which btw is from a song from Nirvana. I think it is called team spirite. His mother grew up in the suburbs and I grew up in the hood and like you I have no desire to return, but I realize that there were alot things that I had the opportunity to learn from that experience that now I realize that my wife will never understand.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:40 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,757,054 times
Quote:
I have now officially vowed to never again call myself Black or African American (God, I hate that term) again. I could say I'm Black and European, or colored (non-white) but I am through saying I'm black and now realize I should never have identified as black.
I'm half Black American, half Italian...okay, my black father was 1/4 Cherokee and 1/8th English, but he's pretty dark. My mother was as Italian as Al Capone. My grand parents were fresh off the boat Italian, from Catania, in Sicily. We had the traditional seven fishes every Christmas and I was fed Italian wine when I was like twelve and my grandfather would play opera records while he worked around his house and I was raised Catholic. My father was black, and I spent a lot of time with my black family too.
Anyway, I was at a bar with some folks the other day and I mentioned that I always wanted to learn Italian, which I never picked up from my relatives and I said I always wanted to know my family's mother tongue. Well, a black guy overheard and gave me the look of death, but didn't say anything. I asked him what his problem was and the SAME F^^^^ fight that I've had numerous times with black people broke out. He said, and I quote, "n^^^^a, you know you ain't no damn Italian! What, you gotta problem being black?"
My chums at the bar were quite loud in their rebuttals, and the outnumbered black fellow made that hiss sound and walked away.
I've gotten this SO DAMN MUCH. Black folks, insisting I call myself black exclusively and ignore the dominate part of my DNA (My mother was all Italian, my father was not all black, hence, genetically, I'm mostly Italian) They give me this reaction of contempt and anger if I so much as acknowledge my other side.
And then, they even seem to get mad at me for the crime of being alive. Some pure black Americans look at me with hatred when they hear me talk. It's like they're afraid I'm going to pollute their Afro-Aryan gene pool, being this brown skinned fellow who has the nerve to speak proper English.
And spare me...SPARE ME that "one drop rule" crap. That was the law once upon a time, yes...but it was also against the law for anyone with black blood to learn to read, does that mean I should never go back to school? How much should I care about what some long dead bigot thinks?
Or, they say "if this was back in the day, you would be enslaved by the white man." Yes...and if I was in Haiti right after the revolution, the blacks would have gladly lopped my head off. If I was in South Africa RIGHT NOW I would be treated like dirt by the black majority who discriminate against the mixed-race coloureds. So, I shouldn't identify with a group that wants to oppress me...unless that group is the blacks, then it's okay if I identify with the oppressor.
And I don't identify as only white either, but the more I think about it...why should I be ashamed for having white blood? If I called myself black exclusively, as many mulattoes do, wouldn't being ashamed being exactly what I'm doing? I mean, if a mixed person said "I'm white" despite being light brown, people would think they're ashamed of having black blood. But, if they say "I'm black," no one thinks it's because they're ashamed of having white blood.
And the funniest part is, I've met so many people from Italy, and none of them had a problem with me being black and Italian. I say I want to learn Italian, and they think I mean right then and there and they try to teach me some words. They never seem to have any problem with a mixed race Italian...but "my brothers?" The minute they find out I am mixed and am not afraid to admit it they have problems.
As none-PC as it may be to say, in my lifetime I have found that blacks are twice as racist as whites when it comes to this. I got beaten up as a kid by the pure blacks who hated me for having lighter skin and clearly Italian features (strong cheek bones, dark under my eyes, shorter statue etc)
It was never a member of the KKK or a skinhead who chased me around calling me the "N word" and trying to kick my butt, it was the black kids who did just that. Plus, I'm not culturally ghetto, so it was even worse...
...look at it this way: a white kid wearing a T-shirt of a heavy metal band walks past some black ghetto kids. They wouldn't do anything...but a mulatto kid in a T-shirt for a heavy metal band walks past the same black thugs, and they are going to attack him for listening to "white music." I know because I WAS that mulatto kid.
I mean, is a white guy betraying his race if he prefers rap to blue grass music? No, and hardly no white people would give him any problems. But if a person of black origin, part or full, hates rap and likes heavy metal and rock? All of a sudden he's "acting white" and he's a traitor.
First of all, listening to Jimmy Hendrix as opposed to Kenya West is hardly "acting white" and second, I am half white! So I should never listen to music or experience the culture of the other side of me? (again, I should be ashamed of having white blood, and no one has a problem with that)
And yes, I hate rap...if no one is singing, playing an instrument, or composing, IT ISN'T MUSIC! I would much rather listen to rock, metal, electronic music or classical. But because that is not "orthodox Negroid thought" and it is bad enough that I am breathing while mixed and not a pure Afro-Aryan, I am a target for so many racist blacks.

I have nothing against black people, or my black blood. But, if I call myself black, I would be betraying my other half and embracing a people who so often have issues with my very existence. Hence, I am half-black, and will never call myself black again...
...and for the record, Obama isn't black either. But he lived a sheltered upperclass lifestyle in Hawaii and didn't go through what I went through on the East Coast, so he's a different story. He's also a failure of a president who should be a one term wonder...but that's another thing blacks would attack me for saying out loud.
Wow. I hate sound mean but you kind of come across as a self hating black person. I hope you realize your African heritage also has great culture and value, regardless of your encounters with real life black people. Just remember that their issues have nothing to do with you but everything to do with society.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:42 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
Wow. I hate sound mean but you kind of come across as a self hating black person. I hope you realize your African heritage also has great culture and value, regardless of your encounters with real life black people. Just remember that their issues have nothing to do with you but everything to do with society.
A lot of his angst was brought on by society, sure,,,,,,but the issues are all his. Don't blame anyone else.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:52 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,477,180 times
Quote:
Again for the Upteenth time. Black Americans in this country are not pure at all. lol

Quote:

............................................______ __
....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
.............................,.-"..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................":,
.....................,?........................... ...........................,
.................../.................................................. .........,}
................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}
.............../.................................................. .,:"........./
..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`..... ..._/
..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....} ............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
............/.`~,......`-...................................../
.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
,,_..........}.>-._...................................|............ ..`=~-,
.....`=~-,__......`,.................................
...................`=~-,,.,...............................
................................`:,,.............. .............`..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_......... .._,-%.......`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies