Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 12:54 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You're taking this "your people" thing to a new level. I mean, i understand where you're placing yourself in this whole thing....the problem is that you're not where you think you are. You're IN IT..not outside of it despite what you're fooling yourself into believing. I feel stupid telling you something so obvious, but damn...you can't be that damn oblivious.

So if the youth of "your people" are running amok...you'd better be worried too. Aint like you've got a shield around you. Especially living in a place as black as where you live.

Better get real. Fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
I keep trying to tell him that. And yet he says he can separate himself from it while everyone else is stuck with it.
Maybe for my kids and grandkids this will be their reality by that time Ghana will be but a distant memory in our family's history. They would probably have blended in to the wider African American community with the only distinction being their surnames atleast with the male line.

However right now African Americans are not my people. I speak a 2nd language (although rudimentary) that is foreign to African Americans. I have a different surname, different outlook and different cultural practices.

For example try as I might even being born and raised in America, I have never viewed whites with suspicion or somehow better than me. When I listen to Black radio and have discussions with friends (most of whom are educated) their frame of reference on just about any topic is always from the perspective of white racism. Everything that is wrong in the Black community is somehow the fault of whites.

The problem with this type of thinking is that you have handed over the destiny of Blacks to another group. That's not my people's history, the tribe I belong to formed a powerful empire that held off British encroachment for almost 100 years. We dealt with the Brits and other Europeans as equals and earned their begrudging respect.

Thus it's hard for me to fully relate to some of complaints African-Americans have against whites. From my perspective America is a country where if you try hard, you can succeed. During the process will you face some slights based on your race, maybe, most likely if you're black. Yet it should not hinder you.

I know I come off very harsh and that offends many of you. For that I'm truly sorry but believe it or not my posts come out of a place of real concern. What we are witnessing in the African American community is very dire IMHO especially with young black males. I'm just not seeing any urgency to change this among the black church and black leaders in general.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:54 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Don't worry about that, worry about the youth of your people running amok.

My "youth" consist of two young men one who is in the Air Force protecting sorry azzez like yourself and the other is a sucessful business owner at 19, sorry to disapoint you.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:04 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Quote:
Maybe for my kids and grandkids this will be their reality by that time Ghana will be but a distant memory in our family's history. They would probably have blended in to the wider African American community with the only distinction being their surnames atleast with the male line.

However right now African Americans are not my people. I speak a 2nd language (although rudimentary) that is foreign to African Americans. I have a different surname, different outlook and different cultural practices.

For example try as I might even being born and raised in America, I have never viewed whites with suspicion or somehow better than me. When I listen to Black radio and have discussions with friends (most of whom are educated) their frame of reference on just about any topic is always from the perspective of white racism. Everything that is wrong in the Black community is somehow the fault of whites.

The problem with this type of thinking is that you have handed over the destiny of Blacks to another group. That's not my people's history, the tribe I belong to formed a powerful empire that held off British encroachment for almost 100 years. We dealt with the Brits and other Europeans as equals and earned their begrudging respect.

Thus it's hard for me to fully relate to some of complaints African-Americans have against whites. From my perspective America is a country where if you try hard, you can succeed. During the process will you face some slights based on your race, maybe, most likely if you're black. Yet it should not hinder you.

I know I come off very harsh and that offends many of you. For that I'm truly sorry but believe it or not my posts come out of a place of real concern. What we are witnessing in the African American community is very dire IMHO especially with young black males. I'm just not seeing any urgency to change this among the black church and black leaders in general.

My suggestion for you is to brush up on your language skills and pack up and go back to Ghana were you don't have to worry about the blacks here in this country. Oh and btw, since you and your family are not part of the history of this country or have anything to do with it's growth I don't expect you to know nor care about anything about it.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:11 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:

Don't worry about offending. Most won't even notice they've got their heads buried so deep in the sand ignoring what is so obvious to the rest of the world.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:24 PM

835 posts, read 1,040,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Herman Cain IS generalizing a whole race by saying white racism isn't holding blacks back.

All that, and yet you have YET to say "what he said was wrong." Indeed, who is the self hating one here? Kanye West is your typical rapper: an idiot with NO talent spreading the worst of black culture...AND YES, EMINEM IS THE SAME WAY!

I hate rap with a passion...I grew up in urban, black America and always hated it. So tell me: was my biracial hearing growing up black and was his music, therefore, black music? If so...how would "the community" react to me listening to it?

Let me ask you this: what do you even know about your European side? Your European heritage and your European history? You keep going ON AND ON about black this and black that, but you never say anything about your European side.

Yet you have yet to say anything good about being half European. Why? Do you not care about your European heritage? Have you never wanted to see where your ancestors came from and see their history and experience there and YOUR culture?
I do want to see Africa someday, especially Ethiopia...do you have any urge to see where your white ancestors came from, or are you too ashamed of them, like Obama is:

Words of Barack Obama from "Dreams of my Father" « Ivory Dome

You seem to hate your white side, as if listening to the Afro-Aryans around you. You appear to be brainwashed by the black community.
"Herman Cain IS generalizing a whole race by saying white racism isn't holding blacks back. "
That's not generalizing. He didn't even mention white people.

"You seem to hate your white side, as if listening to the Afro-Aryans around you. You appear to be brainwashed by the black community."

"Have you never wanted to see where your ancestors came from and see their history and experience there and YOUR culture?"

The black community brainwashed me? I was raised by a Portuguese/Puerto Rican mother.
I've never been ashamed of my European ancestors. I actually plan on visiting Portugal one day.

"Your European heritage and your European history? You keep going ON AND ON about black this and black that, but you never say anything about your European side."

If you bothered to read my first post you would have read what I said about my European heritage.

"All that, and yet you have YET to say "what he said was wrong." Indeed, who is the self hating one here? Kanye West is your typical rapper: an idiot with NO talent spreading the worst of black culture...AND YES, EMINEM IS THE SAME WAY!"

First: Rap has nothing to do with black culture. There are multiple White and Spanish rappers.

List of white rappers:

Mac Miller

MGK

Eminem

ICP

Beastie Boyz

MC Search

ETC....

Second: How does Eminem bring out the worst in black culture? He grew up in a white suburb. He didn't even grow up in Detroit like he claims.
He made a song called "White America". Yeah, that's the worst the black culture has to offer.

Third:

Nas - I Can - YouTube
Yeah, Black culture has gone too far.

I live in Newark,NJ

I listened to all kind of rock. I never got beat unconscious.

You really seem to hate all blacks for what a few of them did.

All that, and yet you have YET to say "what he said was wrong.
Why do I have to say what he did was wrong? His opinion has nothing to do with me or any black. Kanye's opinion is Kanye's opinion. He doesn't represent the black race. I don't care for what he has to say.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountinwilyum View Post
going up onstage and stopping the show to tell swift and the world she doesn't deserve it because beyonce deserved it more but the voters therefore must be racist is thuggish.
How is that racist? It had nothing to do with race.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Funny, I have been a fan of "white music" for decades, and have NEVER been beaten by black or white. In fact, I have even visited white country music bars.

What an appallingly ignorant generalization. I've got news for you. Black American culture is no more "ghetto ganstalicious" culture, than White America is "trailer park" culture. Both are subsets of the dominant culture, and only the most ignorant and biased think differently. But, if it helps to further your black hate campaign, knock yourself out.
That's what I'm saying. I've listened to rock and metal all my life. I have never been beaten, pulverized, or attacked for it. All he is doing generalizing a race.

There is obviously another reason he got beat up.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:00 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:

On a predominately black forum, if a white person constantly posted negative articles to highlight the malignancies in the white community, accompanied by the most disparaging comments, would you honestly think they were doing so out of concern for their race; especially, if they incessantly stated they aren't a part of White America? Or, would you think they were suffering from an extreme form of self-hatred, an obsessive desire for black acceptance, or both?

You may not realize, but this is not the platform for change. This is simply an internet discussion board. If you truly want to help the Black Community, why don't you volunteer your time, or get involved with organizations that are trying to tackle the problems you abhor? They do exist. Posting negative thread after negative thread accomplishes nothing of substance.

Furthermore, the ills you so eagerly post are not representative of the majority of black Americans, who are in fact hardworking, decent and honest. I have NEVER blamed white people for anything in my life. I worked hard in college, earned two degrees, and excelled in every position I have held. Nor have I ever hated white people. I relate to people on an individual basis, regardless of race or ethnicity. If you respect me, I will respect you.

I raised a well-mannered and articulate son, who is now 20. He has never been in trouble with the law, never had problems in school, has no children, doesn't use drugs, doesn't drink, doesn't walk around with his pants hanging below his butt, and doesn't listen to gansta rap. He was also consistently on the honor roll from kindergarten through his senior year in high school, and has made the dean's list every semester in college. My only complaint is his room looks like a pigsty. There are countless young black men just like him. But, you only focus on the thugs.

We will always have elements of criminals, parasites, and other undesirables. That's a given. But, your portrayal of Black America as being the scum of the earth is reprehensible. All you have done is perpetuate a negative image, and feed the hate machine. It's sad that you actually don't comprehend what you are doing.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:08 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
They don't...after years of rejection from my black family, black people in general and the "black community" I have gotten somewhat resentful of them.

When did I EVER SAY anything against African ancestry? I love Africa and all that it is...it's the black ghetto culture that I can't stand. And if I do have kids, they will have black African in them...but not a drop of N*****er, that's for sure.
OK, so why haven't discussed how open, loving and embracing your Italian relatives have been to you? Or better yet, how loving and accepting Italian Americans (especially those on the East Coast) have been to you?

And while we are at it. I find it interesting that you fixate on how "the Blacks" have done ya wrong but you have not contrasted that with examples of how you have been embraced by Italian Americans.

Plus, you are very quick to stereotype Black American women yet there are numerous examples of the stereotypes of young Italian Americans (Jersey Shore or Jerseylicious anyone?) Are we supposed to ignore those stereotypes against Italian Americans while accepting those regarding Black Americans? And if so, why?

Old 04-18-2012, 04:14 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
We will always have elements of criminals, parasites, and other undesirables. That's a given. But, your portrayal of Black America as being the scum of the earth is reprehensible. All you have done is perpetuate a negative image, and feed the hate machine. It's sad that you actually don't comprehend what you are doing.
Oh, he knows exactly what he is doing.....which makes it all the more tragic.

Some immigrants are more than eager to step on the necks of Black Americans in order to not be considered the bottom of the totem pole. Its nothing new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies