Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2012, 12:38 AM

6,456 posts, read 7,024,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestJ23 View Post
He can identify himself as purple with green spots, but that's not my problem with his original post. It would be silly to think that somebody can post this dramatic declaration of how they don't refer to themselves as Black anymore and they're not called out on it. Add in the stereotypical comments that he made about 'full' Blacks......I mean, what do you expect??
Hence my original point of posters cutting, trimming, and contorting and being more emotionally responsive to his tone and attitude rather than focusing on what he originally said. All you heard was his alleged is a "declaration" of some sort, when I, myself understand and sympathize with his reason for doing so. The man doesn't appear to be annoyed at the idea of being "black" but moreso about the refusal of others to acknowledge that he isn't only black. I completely respect that, and I have observed much of what he has described in how many AAs make it reflective as being something bigger than what it really is.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:41 AM

191 posts, read 243,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Hence my original point of posters cutting, trimming, and contorting and being more emotionally responsive to his tone and attitude rather than focusing on what he originally said. All you heard was his alleged is a "declaration" of some sort, when I, myself understand and sympathize with his reason for doing so. The man doesn't appear to be annoyed at the idea of being "black" but moreso about the refusal of others to acknowledge that he isn't only black. I completely respect that, and I have observed much of what he has described in how many AAs make it reflective as being something bigger than what it really is.
Well, I'm going by the totality of his posts to come to my conclusions. I doubt that anybody on here is saying that he shouldn't embrace the ethnicity of his mother's family. Most are only saying that in America, if you look Black, you are Black and will be treated as such. Another thing is that he's upset because (in his mind) Blacks want him to identify as soley Black, but he criticizes Mixed Blacks for soley identifying as Black.The question is- how can you get mad about people telling you how to identify when you're doing the same to other people?

I don't know where the OP is from, but where I'm from, most Blacks don't care and don't make a big deal out of somebody being of mixed race....we see that everyday.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:06 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,992,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestJ23 View Post
Well, I'm going by the totality of his posts to come to my conclusions. I doubt that anybody on here is saying that he shouldn't embrace the ethnicity of his mother's family.
I, actually, PEOPLE SAY THAT ALL THE TIME! Nine times out of ten I mention I am Italian to a black person and they get this look or murder on their faces and through clenched teeth grumble "you're black, not Italian."

Again, if Obama went to a St. Patrick's Day Parade and talked about growing up Irish American, so many blacks would be ready to tar and feather him, never mind if he did the same thing for MLK day about growing up black in America.

Quote:
Most are only saying that in America, if you look Black, you are Black and will be treated as such. Another thing is that he's upset because (in his mind) Blacks want him to identify as soley Black, but he criticizes Mixed Blacks for soley identifying as Black.The question is- how can you get mad about people telling you how to identify when you're doing the same to other people?
First, I look Dominican or Arab, and people come up to me speaking Spanish and I've had ignorant bastards, MANY of whom were black, tell me to "go back to Mexico". Does that mean I'm Latino? (nothing against Latinos, btw)
Second, what if a mixed person refused to identify as anything but white? Wouldn't they be viewed as screwed up and self hating? If you are mixed and refuse to identify with either side of you, you have issues.

Quote:
I don't know where the OP is from, but where I'm from, most Blacks don't care and don't make a big deal out of somebody being of mixed race....we see that everyday.
If you are mixed and go WAY out of your way to "out black" the others, than you're okay with blacks. If you're ghetto as hell, never dream of voting Republican and listen only to "black" music, you're fine...if you are educated, polite, and prefer rock and are proud of your non-black side as well as your black side, here come the Afro-fascists thugs to "set you straight".

Old 04-14-2012, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
I hope you didn't write all that just for me That wasn't a serious post.

Anyway...You look Black so you are Black, you need to come to terms with this and stop torturing yourself over it.

This thread is basically an advertisement against race mixing so basically you are promoting racism, not cool. Nothing anyone says here will help you, you need to seek counseling to come to terms with your mixed race heritage. The best thing you can do is become successful, accomplish a lot in your life and surround yourself with positive people...Seriously, are you disabled, do you live in a third world country? No... You have a lot going for you yet you are dwelling on this stupid crap. Seriously, stuff like "this person is 25% black yet no one would see her as black"...Who gives a crapola!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To me, it appears you have too much time on your hands and are isolated and/or surrounded by negative people.

I may be a perfect Aryan specimen as if carved out of stone by Michelangelo himself but even if I was Black or mixed race I would be proud of who I am and my accomplishments. NO ONE likes a negative person END the pity party, be positive, make friends, get things done, stop and smell the flowers, be happy...End of story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As my grandfather would have said:
STA ZITTO, FASCISTA TESTA DI MERDA!

Old 04-14-2012, 02:14 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,234,664 times
Look buddy (OP), call yourself what every your little heart desires. Good luck.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Quick answer is american society can't tell the difference between mixed and light-skinned. there's a default assumption if you look the part. and when you look the part, but try to disown that part, everyone sees it for what it is.
So then, again, I shouldn't disown being "Dominican" or "Arab", sense that's what people think I am when they first meet me?

And no, I am not "disowning" my black side, just OWNING my Italian side as well, but blacks tend to have a problem with that. And if I grew up around that side...
...like I said, my kind of sort of (it's complicated) girlfriend is Black and Korean, and guess what? Blacks are not very kind to her and insist she's black...even though she was raised in a heavily Korean neighborhood and spent a bunch of time in Korea and is closer to her Korean side than he black side. She looks...like a darker Asian. People think she's Filipino all the time. So, should she just be Filipino?

Quote:
Put it this way... You have some non-American side to you. what do you think if other Americans would think if you suddenly started taking with a scottish accent, wearing a kilt, and acting as un American as you could?
I see Italian American white guys with Italian flags on their cars all the time (Oi, New Jersey...) But if I did it, plenty of people would have a problem with it...and guess what color they are mostly?

Old 04-14-2012, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Your "kind of sorta girlfriend?" Dude, you just said in another thread that she was a girl that you "used to have a crush on." Make your mind up or stop lying about stuff to fit your agenda.
It's complicated...we hang out, make out, she gets into arguments with her mom, I'm suddenly her friend, then we make out again, then she goes away for a month...it happens in every race, every nation. Women are absurd, no matter what the admixture. Sometimes, I wish I was gay (but I guess I'm now a self-hating heterosexual?)

Quote:
After reading your bolded part about "Laquishas," I'm starting to come to the conclusion that you are just another one of those Black folk that is so confused about who they are. You think WAY too much about Black society and culture in the WRONG ways. You're negative, you are biased and you are bitter. It's gonna take some time for you to stop caring about this stuff.
I grew up in a neighborhood that was filled with black people. I've seen decent ones, yes, but there are so many of them with issues who just need to be slapped.

Quote:
Another thing: Why are you even worried about these "Laquishas" and "Rashondas?" I'm Black and I am female and I admit that hood-rat, ghetto chicks are not even worth your time BROTHER. It has NOTHING to do with them being Black though and everything to do with the way they carry themselves. No one who respects themselves or that is looking for something else out of a woman would be interested in that REGARDLESS of race. That is what you have to start understanding. That is also the problem with BLACK MEN that look for every woman but a BLACK WOMAN ... you guys are so convinced that Black women can only be hood rats.

Get out more ... I know so many Black women who would match well with Black men that have given up hope on finding a compatible Black woman.
For every non-hood rat black woman, there are ten hood rats. And most of the decent black women are from Africa or the Caribbean. There is a reason why black guys tend to date and marry outside their race so much.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I see that you still don't get it. You keep trying to say that you aren't denying your Black ancestry, but the majority of what you say (hell, it's in your freaking title of the thread) and how you are coming across is that you are doing your best to be less Black. Do you not understand that you are being just like everyone else that somehow finds it "fascinating" or "unique" to express how they have "other" ethnicities in them other than Black? Don't you see how that is simply retarded?
Because it's more than a DNA thing. Some of us mixed people ACTUALLY LIVED AROUND other races other than black. And no, I am not black...completely. I am black and Italian.

Quote:
You are SO into your Italian-side or whatever, but have you done so much parading of your African ancestry?
In High School I had a picture of Huey T. Newton in my locker. I am black as well as Italian.
Quote:
Do you not see the problem with that? That is the typical behavior of the Black person that wants to escape being Black (which you said in your title of the thread) and "embrace" whatever little genetic difference they can find in their genes because they are so obsessed with race or being that different, token Black person.
50% is not A LITTLE difference. If I denied being Italian, I would be trying to escape memories of my family, of my grandparents arguing over dinner that switched to Italian (at which point everybody knew it was ON and they were really angry with each other) I would be trying to get away from myself. If I said I was black and didn't say I was also Italian, I would be urinating on my grandfather's grave.
I may not say "I am black," but I will say I am "black and Italian" or, more simply, "mixed".

Quote:
It's sad and it insults other Black people and those Black people have the right to express their distaste for that.
But if I hear black people saying crap about whites, I'm suppose to just shut up and let it be said? Or, I am supposed to deny that I am also white as well as black?

Take Obama for example: sat in that church with that racist preacher for twenty years listening to him condemn white people, and never left. Would he have been okay listening to someone condemn black people? I've had a couple times whites say things about blacks around me, thinking I'm not going to be offended because I'm not all black, but I let them know right away that certain things are not right to say...and at the same time, I would have punched that reverend in the face if I was Obama, listening to him go on about white people but I have white family members.
Mixed people shouldn't choose a side: we're on both sides or we're against one or the other.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:12 AM

9,018 posts, read 13,872,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedtodave View Post
LOL. In my opinion, white people are the most guilty of this. Even if it's not another race, some white people cling to a tiny percentage of ancestry from some European country, ANYTHING other than just being plain old, vanilla-boring white.

It's like the Seinfeld episode, Elaine and her boyfriend both though each other was of another race...only to be disappointed to find out they were both white. Then they went to the GAP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
So then, again, I shouldn't disown being "Dominican" or "Arab", sense that's what people think I am when they first meet me?

And no, I am not "disowning" my black side, just OWNING my Italian side as well, but blacks tend to have a problem with that. And if I grew up around that side...
...like I said, my kind of sort of (it's complicated) girlfriend is Black and Korean, and guess what? Blacks are not very kind to her and insist she's black...even though she was raised in a heavily Korean neighborhood and spent a bunch of time in Korea and is closer to her Korean side than he black side. She looks...like a darker Asian. People think she's Filipino all the time. So, should she just be Filipino?

I see Italian American white guys with Italian flags on their cars all the time (Oi, New Jersey...) But if I did it, plenty of people would have a problem with it...and guess what color they are mostly?

I don't think you understand. How can someone look Dominican or Arab when those are cultures,not colors?
I told you I'm Arab,and there are many that are dark skinned. Hence,I'm black.
We come in different colors. They just don't show you that on Tv. Google it.
Someone like Michael Jordan can be Arab in Sudan. Arabs are culturally aligned,nad we don't use color as a basis if someone is Arab or not. Check out Sudan.

In any event,its not the ghetto black women who have trouble finding mates,its the professional women who haven't met their equals.
All the ghetto women I know seem to keep men,but the professionals don't.

Time to close this thread. You should have put this in the mental health section.
We get eat,you eat pizza and fried chicken together.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:17 AM

9,018 posts, read 13,872,902 times
What's wrong with being named Laquisha,Rashonda, and Tanisha btw?
Its not like they named themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies