Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 10:32 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,431,907 times

Advertisements

Uh, when was top management ever part of the Union?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 10:38 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,693,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I don't know anyone who hates union workers. Its the union leadership and management that needs to be stripped of their power.
Wrong. Union people are blatantly stupid, blindly following the leader (steward). You're correct in that I don't hate the members personally, but as a whole, they collectively fall into the really, really low IQ bucket. And I have a real problem with stupid.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:48 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,829,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Wrong. Union people are blatantly stupid, blindly following the leader (steward). You're correct in that I don't hate the members personally, but as a whole, they collectively fall into the really, really low IQ bucket. And I have a real problem with stupid.
Someone that thinks having a fair wage, weekends off, 40 hour work weeks and fair benefits would make them fair and intelligent. People who would think these are bad things would be blatantly stupid "follow the leader" types with very low IQ's. If you have a real problem with stupid, you're going to hate the GOP/tea party/anti-union types.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:51 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,175,088 times
I don't hate union workers, I despise the thought of being forced to join a union to work somewhere. I should have a choice whether I wish to join the union or not.

Being forced to join a union and pay them to work somewhere is wrong.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:54 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,829,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I don't hate union workers, I despise the thought of being forced to join a union to work somewhere. I should have a choice whether I wish to join the union or not.

Being forced to join a union and pay them to work somewhere is wrong.
No one is "forced" into a union, on the contrary, most all that are union want to join them. Having fair pay and benefits is a good thing.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:00 AM

8,640 posts, read 9,157,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Love Union states.

They cause all their businesses to relocate to Right to Work States like TX.

We're booming... They're dieing.

Thanks
Kind of like millions of our jobs going to communist china with the blessing of true capitalists? And we're stuck with low pay service jobs, while the owners of these companies retail this junk back to us at inflated costs, not reflecting the true cost of manufacturing much of this chit by people who are committing suicide by the hundreds and threatening to so by the thousands. Greedy SOBs who will see hell brake lose if things do not improve soon.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:07 AM

25,858 posts, read 16,567,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Uh, when was top management ever part of the Union?
Is Rusty still in the Navy?

Old 04-14-2012, 11:09 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,797,145 times
Unions sux! I was a member of IBEW for over 40 years. One of the very first things they taught us was that "scabs" (Non union) people have no right to work in construction that we must STOP THEM no matter what the cost. I was quickly labelled a radical when I jumped up and said - "That man has just as much of a right to feed his family as we do! They did not like my approach or mindset.

Violence - sabotage - threats and intimidation were the tools they taught us to use when ever any non-union construction job was in our area (Boston).

I don't care what you may say - that approach is 100% wrong These thugs should be arrested for teaching such terrible actions.

That happened in Sept of 1966 @ Boston Trade School The whole union experience was nothing more than disgusting display of corruption in every level.

When I retired in 2000; The dispatcher in the union hall asked me... Are you going to miss it?? My reply was: Patti... I would gladly give up the use of both of my legs than to ever have to work one more day with those people ever again. It's that bad she asked? I said WORSE!!

When I retired in 2000 the union rate for a Journeyman electrician was $35.00 an hour!

I was FORCED against my will to enter the union - YOU ARE GOING TO BE AN ELECTRICIAN!! I had no choice what so ever; my father began training me when I was only in the 3rd grade. Every weekend - I was on the job. (not housing) huge industrial projects was all I've ever worked on.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:09 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,175,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Someone that thinks having a fair wage, weekends off, 40 hour work weeks and fair benefits would make them fair and intelligent. People who would think these are bad things would be blatantly stupid "follow the leader" types with very low IQ's. If you have a real problem with stupid, you're going to hate the GOP/tea party/anti-union types.
Not all non union people make low wages, and have no benefits. I make a good living, and have outstanding benefits. Recently I broke my hand at home, and was unable to work for 10 weeks, having had to have surgery, and have the hand pinned. I received full pay while I was out.

You see, I don't need someone else to bargain for me to ensure I receive a fair wage and benefits.

Last edited by Darkatt; 04-14-2012 at 11:18 AM..

Old 04-14-2012, 11:16 AM

8,640 posts, read 9,157,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
Unions sux! I was a member of IBEW for over 40 years. One of the very first things they taught us was that "scabs" (Non union) people have no right to work in construction that we must STOP THEM no matter what the cost. I was quickly labelled a radical when I jumped up and said - "That man has just as much of a right to feed his family as we do! They did not like my approach or mindset.

Violence - sabotage - threats and intimidation were the tools they taught us to use when ever any non-union construction job was in our area (Boston).

I don't care what you may say - that approach is 100% wrong These thugs should be arrested for teaching such terrible actions.

That happened in Sept of 1966 @ Boston Trade School The whole union experience was nothing more than disgusting display of corruption in every level.

When I retired in 2000; The dispatcher in the union hall asked me... Are you going to miss it?? My reply was: Patti... I would gladly give up the use of both of my legs than to ever have to work one more day with those people ever again. It's that bad she asked? I said WORSE!!

When I retired in 2000 the union rate for a Journeyman electrician was $35.00 an hour!

I was FORCED against my will to enter the union - YOU ARE GOING TO BE AN ELECTRICIAN!! I had no choice what so ever; my father began training me when I was only in the 3rd grade. Every weekend - I was on the job. (not housing) huge industrial projects was all I've ever worked on.
I agree with you for having common sense. Of course every one needs to survive and make a living. What is the going rate now for journeyman electricians?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies