Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 07:00 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,471,387 times

Advertisements

So today I am at the grocery store with only one woman in line in front of me. I think hooray my lucky day. WRONG! She is buying about 20 jars of baby food a couple boxes of dry baby cereal and several cans of baby formula. Then I see her hand the check out clerk several WIC checks.

If you have ever been caught behind one of these transactions it takes considerable time. Apparently each check is only good for a certain dollar amount and the clerk must seperate the groceries into groups for each check. ARRRG.
Well to top it off the woman is Hispanic and speaks little english. So my blood pressure begins to rise. I suspect I am witnessing another abuse of our government assistance system. Well she finally gets done and leaves ahead of me.
As I depart the store having used my debit card in a matter of seconds guess what I see. The youngish woman who appears to be in good health, loading her free food into a new Ford Expedition. On top of that she is parked in the handicap space and has a handicap placard hanging from her mirror. Oh and the Expedition had some very nice custom wheels on it.
This woman is playing the system for all she can. And it ticks me off to no end. When is the government going to tighten up the qualifications for all this free crap that we are paying for? She is probably getting housing assistance too.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:02 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Damn Mexican!

Old 04-14-2012, 07:06 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
Got any pictures to back up your story? I see people using these checks too but usually they are wives of soldiers with 2 to 4 kids tagging along.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:06 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,738,053 times
If I were her, I'd be on the phone to the police station, making a report against the bigoted stalker who went out of their way to follow me to my car.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:09 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Wow, you must be psychic! You *knew* she was cheating the system, owned the car she was driving, had no handicap ... You should get a job on one of those 1-900-PSYCHIC lines.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:10 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,041,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dober1 View Post
So today I am at the grocery store with only one woman in line in front of me. I think hooray my lucky day. WRONG! She is buying about 20 jars of baby food a couple boxes of dry baby cereal and several cans of baby formula. Then I see her hand the check out clerk several WIC checks.

If you have ever been caught behind one of these transactions it takes considerable time. Apparently each check is only good for a certain dollar amount and the clerk must seperate the groceries into groups for each check. ARRRG.
Well to top it off the woman is Hispanic and speaks little english. So my blood pressure begins to rise. I suspect I am witnessing another abuse of our government assistance system. Well she finally gets done and leaves ahead of me.
As I depart the store having used my debit card in a matter of seconds guess what I see. The youngish woman who appears to be in good health, loading her free food into a new Ford Expedition. On top of that she is parked in the handicap space and has a handicap placard hanging from her mirror. Oh and the Expedition had some very nice custom wheels on it.
This woman is playing the system for all she can. And it ticks me off to no end. When is the government going to tighten up the qualifications for all this free crap that we are paying for? She is probably getting housing assistance too.

Sure whine and moan about some hispanic woman feeding her 9 kids yet say nothing when the wallstreet hedge funder drives off in his new Maserati after taking a massive bailout from the US government. Corporate welfare costs this country MUCH more than milk and cereal. But people like you pay lip service to one and ramble on with diarrhea at the mouth about the other. America is land of the hypocrites. I don't think most fully understand who's actually robbing them blind! It sure aint WIC mommas with cheap rims driving a Ford f'ing Expedition.

Your example while it would **** me off as well isn't that common and there are a lot of poor people who don't abuse the system. ALL welfare needs to be reigned in and better controlled INCLUDING CORPORATE!

Old 04-14-2012, 07:10 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dober1 View Post

In this kind of situation, I'd say NO TENGO TODO EL DIA!

Having said that, we don't know whether it was her car. I had a girlfriend who worked as a live-in companion for an older post-polio lady who owned a car modified for the lady, car had handicap placard as my GF drove the lady to doctor's appointments etc.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:11 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Oh, please... this is now becoming an urban legend like Bigfoot, as everyone claims to see these WIC recipients who get into fancy cars. For all you know it was her boss's car (our El Salvadorian housekeeper used to occasionally drive my mother's car), or any other number of explanations. Or you're just making up the story for dramatic effect.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-15-2012 at 04:30 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 04-14-2012, 07:12 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
But...but...but think of the chiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiildren!

Nevermind that she could have fed her kids for the next 5 years with the money she spends on that Ford Explorer and it's custom wheels, damnit, you are heartless and insensitive to even SUGGEST that she go for something more modest in price in order to feed her family.

How DARE you!

Oh and didn't you know, she has kids, that gives her the RIGHT to park in the handicap spot. Do you know how DIFFICULT it is to tote baby formula from the door of the store to her car? Cold! You are so. damn. cold!

(Adding this before the excuse makers come on board: "But it might be for someone in her family that she has the handicap placard!" It may be. But she is NOT so she shouldn't park there if that person is not WITH her!)

Old 04-14-2012, 07:14 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
P.S. Why does her lack of English even matter? Last time I checked, there is no requirement of English fluency to receive WIC - or American citizenship, for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies