Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 07:33 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,669,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulseoul View Post
Really, they don't assimilate? Well, I have not noticed that in the US. Sorry, but most of neighbors back in California spoke English. Most of my university mates were middle class suburbanites. A huge percentage of them were Hispanic (at least 30%) so I really don't see how they have not assimilated.

In Korea, where I am now, they view themselves as American and speak English around other Hispanics (not Spanish). From my perspective, I find the whole argument that assimilation has not occurred rather comical, farcical even.
Why do they need translations in Spanish?

Old 05-14-2012, 07:36 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Really, they don't assimilate? Well, I have not noticed that in the US. Sorry, but most of neighbors back in California spoke English. Most of my university mates were middle class suburbanites. A huge percentage of them were Hispanic (at least 30%) so I really don't see how they have not assimilated.

In Korea, where I am now, they view themselves as American and speak English around other Hispanics (not Spanish). From my perspective, I find the whole argument that assimilation has not occurred rather comical, farcical even.
Hint -- most hispanics are not in college so of course you didn't see the non-assimated middle school dropouts who cannot learn as much as two words in English and even the welfare offices are required to offer them their welfare handouts in Spanish.

Also there is no reason in their minds to assimilate. They certainly don't have to make any effort to get their Medicaid, food stamps, WIC, Section 8 housing -- they only need to crank out babies. They can demand the government spend billions of dollars providing their children Spanish speaking teachers and even the standardized tests are dumbed down and are in Spanish for them.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:38 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,669,503 times
Quote:
Really, there's no distinct culture? Language is the only measure of assimilation, and therefore by extension culture? You do realize that language is yet one means of assimilation. A person from Nigeria may speak the same language as an American, but the culture is completely different. Language is yet one aspect of culture.
Language is foundation of a culture & necessary for the structure & to hold a house together. Sure there are many leaves but they are connected throughout the foundation.

A person from Nigeria is a separate tree.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:44 AM

2,920 posts, read 2,798,391 times
Quote:

Really? What about the airways full of Spanish TV and radio programming?
What about government documents printed in Spanish?
What about almost everything everywhere printed in both languages?
Are those signs of successful assimilation to you?
I am walking around Home Depot and with all the bilingual signage I feel like I am in a freaking Mexico? What is that?

Old 05-14-2012, 07:47 AM

249 posts, read 194,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Language is foundation of a culture & necessary for the structure & to hold a house together. Sure there are many leaves but they are connected throughout the foundation.

A person from Nigeria is a separate tree.
A person from Nigeria in American is in the same tree. There are Nigerians in America.

Let's also explore language. As subsequent generations emerge, fluency rises. How does that not show assimilation? My great grandmother did not speak English. She spoke Yiddish up until her deathbed. I don't speak Yiddish. My grandmother knew a little bit of German and Yiddish, but mostly English. My dad told me about Jewish culture and German culture, but that's about it.

My mom speaks more French than English, but I speak more English than French. My nephew doesn't know French. Assimilation is not judged merely by the first generation. If that were the case, you would have a compelling argument not only for Hispanics, but a huge percentage of people coming from outside the Anglosphere.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Really? What about the airways full of Spanish TV and radio programming?
What about government documents printed in Spanish?
What about almost everything everywhere printed in both languages?
Are those signs of successful assimilation to you?
I am walking around Home Depot and with all the bilingual signage I feel like I am in a freaking Mexico? What is that?
Yes all two TV channels Univision and Telemundo. I got Canal+ Amerique and France24 mondial. Does that mean I did not assimilate? Or does that mean I like holding on to some vestige of the past? Assimilation and retention are not mutually exclusive.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Hint -- most hispanics are not in college so of course you didn't see the non-assimated middle school dropouts who cannot learn as much as two words in English and even the welfare offices are required to offer them their welfare handouts in Spanish.

Also there is no reason in their minds to assimilate. They certainly don't have to make any effort to get their Medicaid, food stamps, WIC, Section 8 housing -- they only need to crank out babies. They can demand the government spend billions of dollars providing their children Spanish speaking teachers and even the standardized tests are dumbed down and are in Spanish for them.
I wonder why people are neglecting the fact that the younger and more time they have spent in the US, the higher the income and education levels. Isn't that an aspect of assimilation? Not to mention that language fluency rises as well. Assimilation is measured across generations, not within a single generation.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:56 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
In that case the Irish failed to assimilate and African Americans failed to assimilate. Hipsters failed to assimilate. Punks failed to assimilate. Asians failed to assimilate. Cajuns failed to assimilate. Isn't it possible that American culture is not as homogeneous as say Korean or Japanese culture, but rather it is more heterogeneous given the diverse backgrounds and large geographical expanse it covers?
What? Don't Americans of Irish ancestory and black Americans speak only English or use English as their primary language? Wouldn't that include punks, (whomever that is)cajuns, etc? Can we say the same thing about Hispanics here in the U.S.? For the most part, NO! We have one identifying culture and language regardless of the diversity of minority cultures in this country and that is the point. Many Hispanics want it otherwise.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
What? Don't Americans of Irish ancestory and black Americans speak only English or use English as their primary language? Wouldn't that include punks, (whomever that is)cajuns, etc? Can we say the same thing about Hispanics here in the U.S.? For the most part, NO! We have one identifying culture and language regardless of the diversity of minority cultures in this country and that is the point. Many Hispanics want it otherwise.
Last term I checked, Cajuns spoke...well, Cajun (French). Umm...you might also want to read the entire posts which stated that language is but a facet of culture and how assimilation is measured across time.

I live in Korea. Korea has more of a homogeneous culture. In fact, in Korean textbooks, they call the US the great experiment because it is heterogeneous. They ask us Americans what is it like being mixed (German, Irish, etc.) Then when we talk about subcultures and regional cultures, forget about it.

America is not as homogeneous as we think. Please what is the unifying culture that we have? Cajuns consider themselves American.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:09 AM

2,920 posts, read 2,798,391 times
Quote:
Yes all two TV channels Univision and Telemundo. I got Canal+ Amerique and France24 mondial. Does that mean I did not assimilate? Or does that mean I like holding on to some vestige of the past? Assimilation and retention are not mutually exclusive.
You are missing the point. We are talking about AMERICAN media outlets broadcasting in Spanish (and more then just two channels) and printing in Spanish as opposed to ability to buy Der Spiegel.
Bilingual media are not a sign of assimilation but the opposite - creating a parallel society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies