Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 02:40 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times

Advertisements

We've had an ongoing conversation about the ginned-up issue known as the 'war on women.' What about another quietly waged war that is a real issue, namely the war on children.

Consider the national debt, now $15 trillion, soon to be 16. Who is going to get to pay for it? The little kids of today, playing on school grounds (if that hasn't been banned by nannyists). That's who will pay. Yeah, yeah, yeah, we all know that Bush and the Republicans were guilty of it too, but at a rate of about 1/3rd that of what we've seen under Obama.

Consider the K-12 education system. For at least the last quarter century it's been a wholly owned subsidiary of the Demcrats and the left. Teachers' unions routinely donate 90 % to Dem candidates and causes. And it's a disaster for the children. Several years ago a professor from the Univ. of Washington had an excellent op-ed about the overall state of K-12 ed. over the last 30 or so years:

The Seattle Times: Opinion: Calculus of mediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Mass

As someone who has taught an introductory atmospheric sciences class for over 20 years, my sad observation, and one seconded by my colleagues in several other departments, is that competency in math and science has declined from roughly the late 1970s until now. Many of us have been forced to "dumb down" our classes, particularly those demanding mathematical skills.
Interestingly, the university gave virtually the same mathematics placement test to all freshmen from the mid-1980s until 2000; students' scores declined during this period, objectively confirming our subjective impressions.
There are other aspects of the liberal war on children. Consider the loss of personal freedom. My father told me about how he would go out hunting & trapping on his own for days at a time when he was only 10-12 yrs old. I would get my bike and go out riding all day w/ friends in the summer. The rule was just come home when the street lights came on. Today's kids are virtually inmates. They can't do anything or go anywhere without parental security detail. Or employment. Consider how hard it is now for a kid to get a job, for various reasons mostly connected to lib politics.
Unlike the phony 'war on women,' the war on children is very real, and it's being waged by Democrats and the left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 08:00 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times
Free the kids, fire the teacher's union.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:05 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Free the kids! Repeal "No Child Left Behind."

Old 04-19-2012, 08:09 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Free the kids! Repeal "No Child Left Behind."
You want to enable kids not being educated, that is so sad

No Child is what made teachers have to test, teach and require accountability in the teacher's union for the first time.
Teacher's and the Democrats got rid of that under Obama since it made teachers accountable.
Now failures will graduate making diplomas a joke.

6 Fs and they graduate now, not before under No Child Left Behind.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:58 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
The teachers are liberal and they will teach their liberal ideas in a casual bias way to brainwash each child. God help us.

The country is sliding down the tubes . It is reflected in the culture of materialism, moral decay and lack of responsibility for ones actions.

The media is bias liberal, tv programs are barbaric and totally degrading to the human spirit of decency.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:59 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
We've had an ongoing conversation about the ginned-up issue known as the 'war on women.' What about another quietly waged war that is a real issue, namely the war on children.

Consider the national debt, now $15 trillion, soon to be 16. Who is going to get to pay for it? The little kids of today, playing on school grounds (if that hasn't been banned by nannyists). That's who will pay. Yeah, yeah, yeah, we all know that Bush and the Republicans were guilty of it too, but at a rate of about 1/3rd that of what we've seen under Obama.

Consider the K-12 education system. For at least the last quarter century it's been a wholly owned subsidiary of the Demcrats and the left. Teachers' unions routinely donate 90 % to Dem candidates and causes. And it's a disaster for the children. Several years ago a professor from the Univ. of Washington had an excellent op-ed about the overall state of K-12 ed. over the last 30 or so years:

The Seattle Times: Opinion: Calculus of mediocrity

There are other aspects of the liberal war on children. Consider the loss of personal freedom. My father told me about how he would go out hunting & trapping on his own for days at a time when he was only 10-12 yrs old. I would get my bike and go out riding all day w/ friends in the summer. The rule was just come home when the street lights came on. Today's kids are virtually inmates. They can't do anything or go anywhere without parental security detail. Or employment. Consider how hard it is now for a kid to get a job, for various reasons mostly connected to lib politics.
Unlike the phony 'war on women,' the war on children is very real, and it's being waged by Democrats and the left.
Yes, let's look at the facts:
Who wats to cut education funds every chance they get: Not the Libs
Who wants to cut out school lunches: Not the Libss
Who wants those that can afford health insurance to have it and those that cannot afford it to suck it up: Not the Libs
Who is against child labor laws: Not the Libs
Who is against minimum wages: Not the Libs
Who is against all social programs that help needy children: Not the Libs
I could go on and on listing the facts but I do believe anyone with an operational mind knows who cares about the children in this Nation, specially those that help the needy, and who does not

Old 04-19-2012, 09:08 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
You want to enable kids not being educated, that is so sad

No Child is what made teachers have to test, teach and require accountability in the teacher's union for the first time.
Teacher's and the Democrats got rid of that under Obama since it made teachers accountable.
Now failures will graduate making diplomas a joke.

6 Fs and they graduate now, not before under No Child Left Behind.
The program was an utter failure for everyone...except for Neil Bush who made millions on the program.

Bush's Family Profits from 'No Child' Act
Bush's Family Profits from 'No Child' Act

Old 04-19-2012, 09:15 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Yes, let's look at the facts:
Who wats to cut education funds every chance they get: Not the Libs
Who wants to cut out school lunches: Not the Libss
Who wants those that can afford health insurance to have it and those that cannot afford it to suck it up: Not the Libs
Who is against child labor laws: Not the Libs
Who is against minimum wages: Not the Libs
Who is against all social programs that help needy children: Not the Libs
I could go on and on listing the facts but I do believe anyone with an operational mind knows who cares about the children in this Nation, specially those that help the needy, and who does not

Old 04-19-2012, 10:25 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,193,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Obama retroactively caused the recession that started before he took office? The drop in gross receipts and increase in people using government programs. That's all his doing? Was he secretly Pres for a few years before he became President?

In terms of where the unions donate money, do you think that they would donate money to the party that's looking to destroy them? Seriously, think about that. It's like expecting MADD to donate money to Coors. It makes all of 0 sense.

In terms of the 'liberal' agenda, have a look at math scores by country.

Math test scores across 29 nations

All of those countries above the US and most of them have MORE liberalism. Canada, the closest thing to compare to the US, has socialized medicine, subsidized colleges, more generous social systems, higher tax rates and stronger environmental regulations. It's 5. The US is 24.

You're on a site called city DATA. Go find some data before you post an opinion. I'm not here defending liberalism. I don't have to even if I wanted to. You haven't made an argument that holds muster and you've given 0 data to back it up.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:58 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Our children and children's children have already had their average lifetime tax payments spent by the US government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies