Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 07:25 AM

17,039 posts, read 12,659,912 times

Advertisements

How many points to I get?

1) Dept of Defense. Everything military
2) Dept of Infrastructure. Roads, airports, Amtrak, Energy, Treasury.
3) Dept of security. CIA, FBI, TSA... Hotlink the CIA between the military intel for foreign threats and the FBI for domestic ones but keep them separate.
4) Dept of social services. Education, medicaid, medicare all that jazz.

Combine all federal assistance for poor families. Make it consistant. Put it all in one place. Max some benefits in terms of both time and amount. No crazy checks. Make the safety net better. make the safety hammock worse. Bad things happen I get it, for example I would not change the current UE tiers tho some are expiring as they should. This does not mean a lifetime of never working.
Combine all the federal job assistance stuff. Make it consistant. Put it all in one place.

Anyway Im a real cut and increase taxes guy. See the plan of the Oklahoma senator for some good ideas.
Max rate = 39% 250K to 1MM
Max rate = 44% 1MM+
ELIMINATE the carried interest deduction for hedge fund managers. I dont care if it does not bring in a dime. There is something sick about someone making 5 billion getting to pay a 15% rate. Note I did not say HF managers earned it. Until you cure cancer and ugly in the same year, NOONE actually earns 5 billion dollars. This is pure feedback loop manipulation.
I would eliminate the estate tax and replace it with rigid requirements of when you and your spouse die all capital gains, etc must be declared and tax paid as if it were income. No chaining younger spouses. No turning into a corporation to avoid it etc. We wont tax it twice but it will get hit once. Minus perhaps ?2-3MM?

honest question. Can anyone actually justify unlimited amounts of capital gains rates in terms of benefits to the economy as a whole justifying the lower rate? I get it for some instances such as venture capitalists, but as a whole, including the wealthy who are simply rent seeking????

Yes I know nothing will happen. Wingnuts will assure even lower taxes for the rich. Moonbats will assure even the laziest will be secure on their couch watching Springer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 06:49 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,561,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
How many points to I get?

1) Dept of Defense. Everything military
2) Dept of Infrastructure. Roads, airports, Amtrak, Energy, Treasury.
3) Dept of security. CIA, FBI, TSA... Hotlink the CIA between the military intel for foreign threats and the FBI for domestic ones but keep them separate.
4) Dept of social services. Education, medicaid, medicare all that jazz.

Combine all federal assistance for poor families. Make it consistant. Put it all in one place. Max some benefits in terms of both time and amount. No crazy checks. Make the safety net better. make the safety hammock worse. Bad things happen I get it, for example I would not change the current UE tiers tho some are expiring as they should. This does not mean a lifetime of never working.
Combine all the federal job assistance stuff. Make it consistant. Put it all in one place.

Anyway Im a real cut and increase taxes guy. See the plan of the Oklahoma senator for some good ideas.
Max rate = 39% 250K to 1MM
Max rate = 44% 1MM+
ELIMINATE the carried interest deduction for hedge fund managers. I dont care if it does not bring in a dime. There is something sick about someone making 5 billion getting to pay a 15% rate. Note I did not say HF managers earned it. Until you cure cancer and ugly in the same year, NOONE actually earns 5 billion dollars. This is pure feedback loop manipulation.
I would eliminate the estate tax and replace it with rigid requirements of when you and your spouse die all capital gains, etc must be declared and tax paid as if it were income. No chaining younger spouses. No turning into a corporation to avoid it etc. We wont tax it twice but it will get hit once. Minus perhaps ?2-3MM?

honest question. Can anyone actually justify unlimited amounts of capital gains rates in terms of benefits to the economy as a whole justifying the lower rate? I get it for some instances such as venture capitalists, but as a whole, including the wealthy who are simply rent seeking????

Yes I know nothing will happen. Wingnuts will assure even lower taxes for the rich. Moonbats will assure even the laziest will be secure on their couch watching Springer.
We can simply erase the Dept. of Homeland Security and the IRS.

We can cut 1/2 of the Dept. of Defense and most of the Dept. of Energy.

Goodbye, Dept. of Education and HUD.

We can use the savings to pay down a lot of our debt and increase funding to the National Science Foundation, the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, the National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering, the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the National Park Service, the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, the Veteran's Health Administration, the National Weather Service and the National Library of Medicine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies