Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 04:44 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,025,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
At the hearing today IMO the state did not have enough compelling evidence to deny bond, hence the judge's decision to set a reasonable bond amount, unless they have more than what they shared today there is a strong possibility this case will be dismissed at the immunity hearing...
This is what Dershowitz has said. At the most, a manslaughter charge should have been entered. There is NO evidence for 2nd degree.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:49 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
At the hearing today IMO the state did not have enough compelling evidence to deny bond, hence the judge's decision to set a reasonable bond amount, unless they have more than what they shared today there is a strong possibility this case will be dismissed at the immunity hearing...
What is the immunity hearing? I thought the bail hearing simply determined whether or not their was a likelihood that Zimmerman was take off and not come back, whether there was a risk that he would not come back for court etc.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:58 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,459,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
What is the immunity hearing? I thought the bail hearing simply determined whether or not their was a likelihood that Zimmerman was take off and not come back, whether there was a risk that he would not come back for court etc.
It is highly likely Zimmerman will invoke a Stand Your Ground defense. Stand Your Ground in short is an expansion of self defense doctrine that one doesn't have to retreat in the face of danger.

If Zimmerman invokes this defense then there is an "immunity" part to the case. The immunity hearing will be a mini-hearing of sorts where a judge will hear from both the defense and prosecution and will determine if the prosecution has enough probable cause to over come the Stand Your Ground defense to allow the case to continue on to a jury.

If he believes the prosecution has failed to meet this burden then Zimmerman becomes "immune" to further prosecution, the case does not go to the jury and Zimmerman walks free. However the prosecution can appeal the ruling if during appeal they still can't meet the burden, Zimmerman can collect damages such as lawyers fee.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:10 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It is highly likely Zimmerman will invoke a Stand Your Ground defense. Stand Your Ground in short is an expansion of self defense doctrine that one doesn't have to retreat in the face of danger.

If Zimmerman invokes this defense then there is an "immunity" part to the case. The immunity hearing will be a mini-hearing of sorts where a judge will hear from both the defense and prosecution and will determine if the prosecution has enough probable cause to over come the Stand Your Ground defense to allow the case to continue on to a jury.

If he believes the prosecution has failed to meet this burden then Zimmerman becomes "immune" to further prosecution, the case does not go to the jury and Zimmerman walks free. However the prosecution can appeal the ruling if during appeal they still can't meet the burden, Zimmerman can collect damages such as lawyers fee.
Thanks.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:21 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,588,473 times
My daddy is a "magistrate" in Virginia and I am white and we have money! Case closed!

Old 04-20-2012, 05:30 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,341,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
My daddy is a "magistrate" in Virginia and I am white and we have money! Case closed!
Has everyone forgotten that Zimmerman is a Hispanic-Jew?

Old 04-20-2012, 05:36 PM

867 posts, read 499,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Wow the elite are very interconnected in Sanford.

The prosecution's case is startling weak.
Yah, that tends to happen when the prosecution is based soley on political considerations, and not facts & law.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:37 PM

90,296 posts, read 120,998,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Has everyone forgotten that Zimmerman is a Hispanic-Jew?
I know where the Hispanic comes from, but perhaps you could enlighten me about his Jewish background?

Old 04-20-2012, 05:39 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,341,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
What's mind boggling is how people like you throw out the race card. Racial tensions would completely disappear if people like you didn't call others a racist every time they have a differing opinion than yours.

The continual "That's Racist" spew is completely racist and shows racism in the people doing the spewing. The next time you want to babble about racism, look in the mirror.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:39 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,459,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I know where the Hispanic comes from, but perhaps you could enlighten me about his Jewish background?
I have yet to hear confirmation his father is Jewish. I guess folks are going off the surname which is German in origin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies