Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 03:37 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredsnowman View Post
I don't own a vehicle. If I need a vehicle, I just borrow one from a parking lot or the street. I’ll let you use one of my borrowed vehicles.
Well - one does not borrow a car from "a parking lot or a street" - borrowing ususally entails taking the property with the permission of the owner for an agreed upon period after which the property will be returned. "Borrowing" as you have described it sounds suspiciously like stealing - and since this is so I would not want to use one of your "borrowed" vehicles, because receiving stolen property is a crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 03:39 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,984,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Fleeing the scene of a felony.
Did not know you could murder someone fleeing the scene of a minor felony not involving your property, nor endangering your life?

[These gun lovers are sticklers for the law aren't they?....Notice how they have no use for what the law says when one of "those other people" gets murdered]

Old 04-20-2012, 03:41 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,045,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Well - one does not borrow a car from "a parking lot or a street" - borrowing ususally entails taking the property with the permission of the owner for an agreed upon period after which the property will be returned. "Borrowing" as you have described it sounds suspiciously like stealing - and since this is so I would not want to use one of your "borrowed" vehicles, because receiving stolen property is a crime.
...Why are you giving a serious answer to a non-serious post?

Old 04-20-2012, 03:41 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,950,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
It's been a long time since I endured the indoctrination and brain washing of Sunday school but IIRC isn't there something in there about thy neighbor's property as well?

I think I covered that already when I talked about stealing - then there is coveting thy neighbor's, property, wife etc.. Adultry is there too and it says nothing about killing being justifiable if the victim stole something. Should we just shoot everyone? I brought up Christianity because I know that some people here call themselves Christian and saying that someone deserved to die because they broke into fishing camp is contradictory to the teachings of Christ. If you're not, that obviously doesn't apply to you.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:42 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,045,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Did not know you could murder someone fleeing the scene of a minor felony not involving your property, nor endangering your life?

[These gun lovers are sticklers for the law aren't they?....Notice how they have no use for what the law says when one of "those other people" gets murdered]
You can in Texas. Does anyone actually know what the law is, in Alabama?

Old 04-20-2012, 03:43 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
...Why are you giving a serious answer to a non-serious post?
What indication did our friend - the red snowman - give that would make anyone think that he/she was not serious? Shoot - look at the word "red" in the user name - is it any wonder I thought the individual in question was serious when discussing community ownership of property?

Old 04-20-2012, 03:43 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,984,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
If this girl had been home in her bed, at 4am, instead of committing crimes. She would not have been shot.

Anyone tries to break into my home, I am getting out my gun, and shooting. The fact that she was running away does not negate the intent of breaking into my home, thinking I was not there.

One less criminal. No tears here.
If the men who shot her had been obeying the law she would have not been shot. She wasn't breaking into their home. She was outside. So what's your point? Don't break and enter into fishing cabins or you deserve death?

Old 04-20-2012, 03:44 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
We would have to see their past record to see if the teens would even have hands not chopped off in muslim countries long ago. Its really a sign that people do not believe the law protects their property by seeing people get nothing that will stop them when caught. Lack of trust in the law is what is seen more and more.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:44 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,350,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
That murder charge against the boys will never hold up. State will be too embarrassed nationally to pursue that dead end. The fact that this was an unjustifiable criminal shooting settles that. This is just cruel Alabama culture in action. They'll let the shooters off scott free. The only reason it's being reported is a white girl is practically dead, had it been black boys, it would barely have made page 11.

It's says wonders about the right wing today that they think a teenager running away from a petty crime scene she may, or may not, be involved in deserves a killing shot to the back of the head.

Alabama Christians.

Quote:
had it been black boys, it would barely have made page 11.

Right- That whole Trayvon Martin thing clearly demonstrates that. perhaps you've heard of that case. Are you smoking or sniffing it? Which one?

Old 04-20-2012, 03:45 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,820,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Perhaps the response is disproportionate, perhaps it is not. If it's in the middle of the night and I hear somebody break into my house, I don't think I'll try to stop them and ask for ID first. I don't know who they are, I don't know if they are armed, I don't know what they are up to.

I certainly would not shoot anyone in the back on purpose, but in the middle of the night and with adrenaline surging through my veins, i don't think I might necessarily be able to avoid it if all I am doing is simply shooting at the burglars.

Alas, I wasn't there and I don't know what happened or what went through the shooter's head, how afraid he was, etc.

The reality is that we all do dumb things as teenagers - but the degree of mischief seems to have risen dramatically. It's not just playing a prank or trespassing anymore - it is theft, severe vandalism, and sometimes it is violent, too.

The reality is also that we all KNOW that burglary is wrong and against the
law. With so many stories out there aptly demonstrating what the risks of committing such an act can be, even teenagers have no excuse being unaware of the situation, especially if they are about to turn into a legal adult.

I do lament that this girl was shot and I wish we lived in a world where crime is not omnipresent. However, crime is everywhere and like others, I am mighty sick and tired of it. I know the law, I abide by the law, I earn my keep, and everything I have was amassed by honest work. If I can manage to stay on the right side of the law, others can, too.

And yes, you desperate people who try to make this a political issue, I am neither a gun-wielding redneck, nor a republican, nor a conservative. I am quite the opposite. My political stance has absolutely nothing to do with this issue.

I am simply a person who is fed up with crime.
Your response sounds like the most reasonable one I have read yet. I love how some jump to conclusions with so few facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies