Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 02:17 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times

Advertisements

They should have gotten to know the neighbors before they tried to enter the house. Just common sense - if you aren't part of the neighborhood - you introduce yourself and allay suspicion. I don't think these people should be charged with any crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 02:24 AM

60 posts, read 203,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
They should have gotten to know the neighbors before they tried to enter the house. Just common sense - if you aren't part of the neighborhood - you introduce yourself and allay suspicion. I don't think these people should be charged with any crime.
I dont think you should have to go around introducing yourself to the neighbors before you go into your own house. This is ridiculous! These people do not OWN the neighborhood. The idiots should have been arrested. This stuff is going to far now

Old 04-25-2012, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinLife38 View Post
I dont think you should have to go around introducing yourself to the neighbors before you go into your own house. This is ridiculous! These people do not OWN the neighborhood. The idiots should have been arrested. This stuff is going to far now
It wasn't their house - it belonged to their son. Also - they were arrested.

Having proof of ownership(closing papers) would have solved the problem - the house was vacant for 7 months - the neighbor sees two strangers fiddling with the locks - what else should he think is happening? A burglar could say that they just bought the house - how do you prove this to be true? Show the papers - they could have done that and Canoles would have probally said "Welcome to the neighborhood" - and invited them to his place for a beer or two. Instead - everything the couple did was suspicious.

Oh and the people who are trying to connect the Zimmerman/Martin case to this - please. Canoles did not shoot and actually exercised great self control. He did not point the weapon with the intention of doing harm - but to make sure that the couple did not run away. Enough with the apples to oranges comparisons.

Last edited by Harrier; 04-25-2012 at 02:40 AM..

Old 04-25-2012, 02:37 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,292,202 times
Quote:
you have to be freakin kidding

Old 04-25-2012, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
you have to be freakin kidding
No I am not "freakin kidding".

Old 04-25-2012, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
If Arkansas had been a "Stand your ground" state and the Kalonjis had been armed, wouldn't they have been well within their rights to blow away the wannabe local heroes?
This took place in Georgia.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:46 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
No I am not "freakin kidding".
You should be....

Old 04-25-2012, 05:54 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
That's just like saying "Hey there is a poor person..he must be stupid and I can abuse them- and get away with it"----race - or money or the lack of it does not equate with intelligence..These jerks are so prejudice that they see a person with black skin...all that goes through their minds is "No way can a black be smart enough to own a home..must be a robber....These rubes are so stupid if a couple of white guys dressed in nice clothes were wandering through the house...who were criminals..They would bring them a cup of coffee...thinking they were kissing the butt of authority...everybody wants to dominate who they assume are weaker...and when you have a gun- that way of thinking increases.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:23 AM

24,413 posts, read 23,070,474 times
The smart thing to do would be to just call the police. You confront somebody and you're taking a big risk. If you make a mistake, its on the police to sort things out.
There are circumtances where you might be forced to take some kind of action. If you know the house and something really looks wrong, you might need to put caution aside. You see a strange person forcing a child from their yard. I'd confront them and ask who they are. Or you see strangers go into a neighbors house, say an elderly neighbor. I'd ask them who they are. Maybe you'd have a gun in your pocket or maybe not. But pointing a gun at someone right off the bat is stupid, its assault.
There are LOTS of 60 year old burglars around, BTW. Not too long ago a woman came home and found a 65 plus year old man burglarizing her home.
I also agree that trying to tie this in with the Zimmerman case is REALLY reaching.
Be more gald that the guy beaten on his porch by the mob of thugs didn't have a gun. He'd have been within his rights to empty his gun into them. I certainly would have tried to scatter them with a few shots if that was going on in my neighborhood.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:53 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,996 times
Quote:
It wasn't their house - it belonged to their son. Also - they were arrested.

Having proof of ownership(closing papers) would have solved the problem - the house was vacant for 7 months - the neighbor sees two strangers fiddling with the locks - what else should he think is happening? A burglar could say that they just bought the house - how do you prove this to be true? Show the papers - they could have done that and Canoles would have probally said "Welcome to the neighborhood" - and invited them to his place for a beer or two. Instead - everything the couple did was suspicious.

Oh and the people who are trying to connect the Zimmerman/Martin case to this - please. Canoles did not shoot and actually exercised great self control. He did not point the weapon with the intention of doing harm - but to make sure that the couple did not run away. Enough with the apples to oranges comparisons.

So following the advice of your realtor and going to change the locks on your new home is suspicious behavior? They were arrested...on false charges. Both the Canoles and the PD will hopefully be tried in a civil case.
Since when do you have to announce that you're moving into a neighborhood? Should they have put it in the local paper along with their picture? What utter hogwash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies