Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 03:25 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times

Advertisements

Familiar story, liberals making a once productive and livable state, unproductive and unlivable, especially for the middle class.

The Weekend Interview with Joel Kotkin: The Great California Exodus - WSJ.com
Quote:
According to Mr. Kotkin, these upwardly mobile families are fleeing in droves. As a result, California is turning into a two-and-a-half-class society. On top are the "entrenched incumbents" who inherited their wealth or came to California early and made their money. Then there's a shrunken middle class of public employees and, miles below, a permanent welfare class. As it stands today, about 40% of Californians don't pay any income tax and a quarter are on Medicaid.

It's "a very scary political dynamic," he says. "One day somebody's going to put on the ballot, let's take every penny over $100,000 a year, and you'll get it through because there's no real restraint. What you've done by exempting people from paying taxes is that they feel no responsibility. That's certainly a big part of it.

And the welfare recipients, he emphasizes, "aren't leaving. Why would they? They get much better benefits in California or New York than if they go to Texas. In Texas the expectation is that people work."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 04:07 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
16 Reasons To Move Away From California

#1 California Is Run By Elitist Control Freaks That Have No Common Sense At All
Politicians in California seem to love to impose absolutely ridiculous rules and regulations on the taxpayers. For example, many local governments in the state are now seeking to require that most new housing be built with at least 20 units on a single acre. This gives the phrase "being close with your neighbors" a whole new meaning. The following is from a recent Wall Street Journal article....
Metropolitan area governments are adopting plans that would require most new housing to be built at 20 or more to the acre, which is at least five times the traditional quarter acre per house. State and regional planners also seek to radically restructure urban areas, forcing much of the new hyperdensity development into narrowly confined corridors.
There are many more examples of this "control freak" mentality. As I wrote about recently, one California town is actually considering making it illegal to smoke in your own backyard.
In some California cities you even need to get permission from the government to gather with your friends. For example, in San Juan Capistrano it is actually illegal to hold a home Bible study without a "conditional use permit".
#2 California Is A Horrible Place To Do Business
For seven years in a row, CEOs ranked California as the worst place in the United States to do business. Thousands of good companies have left the state in recent years, and yet California lawmakers continue to pile on more rules, regulations and taxes.
#3 The California Economy Is A Gigantic Mess

snip

I was born in San Carlos in the late 1940's a fifth generation to a great-great-great grandfather who jumped a whaling ship in San Francisco in 1846 (two years before the 1848 gold rush) from Yekaterinburg, Russia. Yes, my roots in California go back farther than most.

A wonderful place to grow up as a kid. The south bay area from Palo Alto to San Jose (I remember San Jose as a cowboy town when the signs into town proclaimed a population of 120,000) was heaven for a young boy into his teen years.

The only two roads south was the bayshore freeway (101) and the El Camino Real, there were no other roads. Traveling the El Camino you would leave Mountain View to Sunnyvale where the El Camino would be a two lane road with orchards on either side. Same leaving Sunnyvale to Santa Clara.... again orchards either side on a two lane road. This was the 1950's.

I was glad I was there then. When I go back to visit, most of my family has left for Idaho, Oregon and Nevada, I no longer recognize the place.

Does anyone speak English in California anymore?

Really sad what happened. Liberalism took over and now you got garbage dump.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:08 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Familiar story, liberals making a once productive and livable state, unproductive and unlivable, especially for the middle class.

The Weekend Interview with Joel Kotkin: The Great California Exodus - WSJ.com
Next thing we have to do is put a 95% tax on inheritance. People should make their own way in this country, not be handed millions by their parents.

Next Obama term that will be addressed.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:09 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
I agree with much of what Joel Kotkin says, but if he blames liberals for all of California's problems, then why did he vote for Jerry Brown for Governor? He says that he believed Brown would be "different". Seriously? Is that really credible?

Old 04-22-2012, 04:13 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,497,657 times
Since 1967, the state has been Governed mostly by the GOP. For the 8 years preceding January 2011 a Republican Governor was in charge in California. Suggesting that the state's going to hell because of moderate Governor Brown less than a year and a half in office is beyond idiotic. Plain stupid. Ignorant.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I agree with much of what Joel Kotkin says, but if he blames liberals for all of California's problems, then why did he vote for Jerry Brown for Governor? He says that he believed Brown would be "different". Seriously? Is that really credible?
I believe Kotkin is a registered Democrat.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Since 1967, the state has been Governed mostly by the GOP. For the 8 years preceding January 2011 a Republican Governor was in charge in California. Suggesting that the state's going to hell because of moderate Governor Brown less than a year and a half in office is beyond idiotic. Plain stupid. Ignorant.
What's ignorant is thinking the governor has the power to pass diktats for laws. As if there is no legislature.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:20 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Next thing we have to do is put a 95% tax on inheritance. People should make their own way in this country, not be handed millions by their parents.

Next Obama term that will be addressed.
And somehow that will make your life better?

Two things, the middle class is not dying. I know, you believe it is because Obama and his communist supporters want you to think that it is.

Is the Middle Class Dying... or is it Thriving? | Wall Street Daily

And as for the scheme of somehow balancing the budgets to get at all that inherited wealth won't work. There just isn't that much of it.

Wealth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Less than 10% of the wealthiest people in America inherited family fortunes. But the effect of inherited wealth can also be seen on a more modest level.
And if I did earn money, if I paid taxes on it, what is it to you what I do with the money I earned?

Old 04-22-2012, 04:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Quote:
O ehas to loo at the entire state governamnt when judgig why things are as they are ;not just oeperoswn. Without the snate and house control no doubt what obama has done would be very different. In mnay states they actully have rules on budget that they have to follow;other not.Everyhting usually start i the statehouseand ant govenor has to compromise likely. Buyt then California likes to do things by referendum alot also. Even local officals have alot do do with noe fical matters are handled.Bt bascially what I see is that people of means want alot done and can afford what they want ;just others may not be able to afford.Perhaps the polices that drive out inductry effects the middle class more tha those who have the means to want policy over jobs. Ive seen very small tones where unless your rich you can not afford to live and it seems almost by intent really.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:36 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
Quote:
try as you might California is a blue state. It voted 60-37 for Obama over Mcain. Its two US senators are both solidly left. It's a bastion of gun control, rent control, and other looney left ideas. Keep dreaming
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies