Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 02:22 PM

5 posts, read 7,342 times

Advertisements

I work in a silicon valley company. I have observed a strange trend in the last year or so. We have lost some really good engineers of foreign ethnicities to immigration, that is, reverse immigration. In the last year, 5 people from my group have returned to Korea, Taiwan and India, their countries of origin.

These guys and gals were in their twenties to mid thirties, very energetic, and highly educated (three had Ph.Ds and all had graduate degrees from American Universities). All had similar answers to why they were leaving: better standard of living in their home countries, more opportunities for growth and family ties. I am sure they will only prosper where they are going and create new jobs that they could have created here. Plus, they will contribute about thirty years of very productive lives to these countries. I have checked with friends in other tech companies and they report similar trends in the last few months.

Are there others on this forum who have seen this? While we seem to be attracting busloads of illegal immigrants everyday, are we losing the ones that matter? Is this something we should be worried about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 02:28 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,260,491 times
Are you saying these people came to the U.S. and got college degrees and then went back home?

I don't care at all if they go home if they want to, more jobs for U.S. citizens.

And all people matter. Not that I am for illegal immigration. But if these people you speak of enter the U.S soley for the educational benefits and then leave they just used our country which is not unusual.

We educate them and then they go home.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Are you saying these people came to the U.S. and got college degrees and then went back home?

I don't care at all if they go home if they want to, more jobs for U.S. citizens.

And all people matter. Not that I am for illegal immigration. But if these people you speak of enter the U.S soley for the educational benefits and then leave they just used our country which is not unusual.

We educate them and then they go home.
Since they were all in their late twenties to early thirties, they have put in a few years in our job market. But, we were not able to find their replacements (our project got canned after they left). As you might know, Ph.Ds are not minted by the dozen. So, as much as I would like to see Americans in these positions, I would hate to see the entire project move overseas since we could not staff it here.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:40 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,511,903 times
The Hindu Business Line : ‘Skilled workers from India, China leaving US shores’ (http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2007/10/18/stories/2007101850691200.htm - broken link)

Many skilled foreigners leaving U.S.: Exodus rooted in backlog for permanent status

Why US must let in more skilled workers

Old 12-09-2007, 03:24 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,640,475 times
Quote:
Actually, skilled workers often form their own companies and create jobs. Hotmail, for example, was founded in the US by an Indian engineer on a work visa. Would it have created 'more jobs for US citizens' if he had gone back to India first, and founded Hotmail over there?

Old 12-09-2007, 03:32 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OracleOfValley View Post
I work in a silicon valley company. I have observed a strange trend in the last year or so. We have lost some really good engineers of foreign ethnicities to immigration, that is, reverse immigration. In the last year, 5 people from my group have returned to Korea, Taiwan and India, their countries of origin.

It would be interesting to know if your company is doing exit interviews and if so what they're finding as cause(s), $$$ ?, cultural?, etc.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
It would be interesting to know if your company is doing exit interviews and if so what they're finding as cause(s), $$$ ?, cultural?, etc.
I think HR does it, but it is all confidential, small fries like me don't find out what was said.

But, I did "interview" the people from my group over coffee or beer They gave the reasons as mostly related to stronger economies at home meaning that they can go back to a similar or better position and have a better quality of life. Family was an important factor for them. None said anything negative about America in fact they all praised what we have as a country and said that they will try to help build a similar system in their countries. Makes me wonder if our system is so good, why do we keep complaining all the time?

Old 12-09-2007, 03:48 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,640,475 times
There was an article recently about a guy from Ghana who got US citizenship, but then decided to stay in Ghana and grow his incipient printing business. The business took off, and now the guy employs a couple hundred Ghanians, and has no interest in moving to the US.

For various reasons, it is easier now than ever for people in other countries to enjoy a nice lifestyle if they have a bit of money. India, for instance, used to be underdeveloped more or less everywhere. Now, despite all the poverty that exists, there is a large middle class society that makes it possible for Indians to live a comfortable middle class life. You can have your own house and cars and yard and computers and internet access and swimming pool without being rich, and for much less than in California.

Even countries like Ghana in Africa have seen this trend grow over the years. Now there are American-style suburbs in Ghana that are moderately-priced. You don't have to be a wealthy baron anymore to live well in countries like Ghana. You can be middle-class, and afford a nice, medium-sized house with your sedan and your flat-screen TV.

For a lot of people, compared to the hassle and perceived indignity of submitting to the US immigration process, that is a much better deal.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:53 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OracleOfValley View Post
I think HR does it, but it is all confidential, small fries like me don't find out what was said.

But, I did "interview" the people from my group over coffee or beer They gave the reasons as mostly related to stronger economies at home meaning that they can go back to a similar or better position and have a better quality of life. Family was an important factor for them. None said anything negative about America in fact they all praised what we have as a country and said that they will try to help build a similar system in their countries. Makes me wonder if our system is so good, why do we keep complaining all the time?

I don't think we complain because we don't think our system is good, I think we complain because we know we can make it better, that's a good thing.

It's hard to fault thos going home to family when they can maybe enjoy a similar life-style, it's a powerful force.

Last edited by burdell; 12-09-2007 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-09-2007, 03:59 PM

One more clarification-- None of the folks who left our company had faced "immigration issues". I think all had green cards or were fairly close to getting one, and walked away from it. So, I think it is unfair to blame our immigration laws for letting talented people walk away. No one even mentioned it in our conversations and as they were good friends, I definitely would have known if it was immigration related.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies