Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 12:34 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
"you have to realize that when the government promises something, it seems very nice AT THE BEGINNING and what it turns into at the end, is a tragedy"

Really? Well, considering the current way we handle healthcare in this country is already a tragedy, I will take my chances will an alternative.
I see so you are the "I don't care how much it cost, its free for me." crowd...

Quote:
" what does that do for Americans in the future"

Hopefully it will result in healthcare expenses not being the number one cause of bankruptcy in this country, as Republicans would prefer it.
Healthcare expense are not the number one causes of bankruptcy, that is just a stupid lie and stupid people believe it...

If you look at people going into bankruptcy they count all those with healthcare bills as an aggregate... so if that person owed 1 penny to ANY healthcare-related bill, they are counted... which means the number is grossly wrong and completely inaccurate... but that's what they want you to believe... and you might ask, if they owe 1 penny in healthcare bill then why are they filing for bankruptcy, maybe the took out a loan on a house they couldn't afford, maybe they gambled it all away, maybe they made a bad business decision, maybe they got fired, laid-off, or whatever, maybe they took out a lot of money for another reason and couldn't afford to pay it back... but whatever... its free for you, so its everyone else's problem...

Old 04-24-2012, 12:37 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,482,659 times
Quote:
Hopefully it will result in healthcare expenses not being the number one cause of bankruptcy in this country, as Republicans would prefer it.

It's going to be determined in June that Obamacare is unconstitutional.

Obamacare itself is a problem for businesses.

I thought that your number one concern was finding a job?

Old 04-24-2012, 12:37 AM

Quote:
"who is filling in the previous Y's job"

Y was most likely 16 years old and not in the labor force yet, therefore they didn't have a job that could be taken.

A large chunk of generation Y is not even old enough to work yet, so yes, the echo boom can still continue to fill in the gaps left by the boomers in the total number of people in the labor force.
Wrong again because Y being unemployed for that period of time and no education wouldn't of have gotten that job, unless the employer was a complete idiot... I don't understand how something so simple and basic can't be understood...

Old 04-24-2012, 12:39 AM

487 posts, read 382,911 times
Quote:
Hah. Yeah. Sure the jobs will come with Romney as president.

"What really bothers me is that you think that you should get it. Instead of really working hard and finding a way of getting insurance on your own."

Healthcare should be a right. Never a privilege. The job crisis that the country has been going through for over four years now has only made Americans more aware of that. How the hell can you work for something (like health insurance) when you can't find a job? How can you work for anything when you can't find a job?

I don't know how old you are, but you are clearly not a member of my generation and therefor have no clue of the struggles we are going through because of an economy that your generation destroyed!
As an unemployed, recent college graduate I completely sympathize with you. I understand how our generation is upset with the older generations of Americans who have essentially robbed us of our future. However, demanding universal healthcare isn't financially prudent, rational or responsible when we have a 15 trillion dollar national debt. This type of reasoning will only lead to further economic/financial instability and chaos. Nothing will have changed...

Old 04-24-2012, 12:44 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
You realize you are not making any sense... if X leaves job and employed Y takes job... who is filling in the previous Y's job? Nobody... the situation is unchanged... meaning there is still high loss of jobs with very low demand for replacements = really, really bad situation... it doesn't matter who is sitting in their seats when there aren't that many seats and seats are being taken away....
MAybe I wasn't clear, that was exactly my point.

A lot of people are assuming the job market will improve as the baby boomers retire. There's absolutely no reason to believe that when their kids (Echo Boomers) will immediately fill the jobs they have, thus bringing us back to step 1. This is especially true considering that outsourcing/illegal immigration will continue to be growing problems as we progress along with automation, which, as you say, all work to remove the chairs (or, eliminate the job positions for the Echo Boomers) after the baby boomers get up from them.

That said, the Echo Boomers will be the generation that has to contend with all the debt our governments have accumulated, mostly because these governments choose to use money printed by private central banks on interest and borrow money from other countries instead of taxing and printing their own money. Someone's going to have to pay for it once it comes due. It won't be a concern as long as the economy can continue to grow, but that can't happen if we're shifting our spending to interest payments on our debt. Thus, there was the issue we had with approaching our debt ceiling this past summer.

Furthermore, the Echo Boomers have to contend with $1 Trillion dollars in Student Loan Debt, because they were misled to think by their parents and grandparents that if they go into thousands of dollars in debt they can have a comfortable middle class lifestyle. Consumer spending makes up 70% of the US economy. However, if the Echo Boomers are directing all of their money to student loan payments, they won't be able to spend money in the economy and stimulate demand. Businesses have no reason to hre if there's no demand for their services and products (because they don't need many people to only serve a few customers).

BTW, I'm an independent. I don't see this as a democrat or republican issue, but a basic fundamental issue when it comes to the future of our naiton and the quality of life future generations will have. Any reasonable people who didn't have bad or selfish intentions can see this.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:54 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times
Quote:
I see so you are the "I don't care how much it cost, its free for me." crowd...

Healthcare expense are not the number one causes of bankruptcy, that is just a stupid lie and stupid people believe it...

If you look at people going into bankruptcy they count all those with healthcare bills as an aggregate... so if that person owed 1 penny to ANY healthcare-related bill, they are counted... which means the number is grossly wrong and completely inaccurate... but that's what they want you to believe... and you might ask, if they owe 1 penny in healthcare bill then why are they filing for bankruptcy, maybe the took out a loan on a house they couldn't afford, maybe they gambled it all away, maybe they made a bad business decision, maybe they got fired, laid-off, or whatever, maybe they took out a lot of money for another reason and couldn't afford to pay it back... but whatever... its free for you, so its everyone else's problem...
Hah. Right dude. Believe what you wish, but it is being reported that 62% of bankruptcies are related to a medical cause.

So basically you are saying that America's amazing healthcare system is being unfairly framed as the number one cause of bankruptcies by people filing for bankruptcy when they have a number of different forms of debt. Well, it still holds true then that 62% of bankruptcies are at least partially attributable to healthcare expenses. No other form of debt is as high as that number, so there is truth to it.

I understand though. The government mortifies you. You think its going to send you to the gulags or something if the democrats have control.

I never said anything about it being free. I expect it to be paid for through taxes. I am currently unemployed, but I will gladly pay my share of taxes for a universal system when I find a job.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs0503 View Post
As an unemployed, recent college graduate I completely sympathize with you. I understand how our generation is upset with the older generations of Americans who have essentially robbed us of our future. However, demanding universal healthcare isn't financially prudent, rational or responsible when we have a 15 trillion dollar national debt. This type of reasoning will only lead to further economic/financial instability and chaos. Nothing will have changed...
Yeah. I know. There is no easy solution to anything days.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
MAybe I wasn't clear, that was exactly my point.

A lot of people are assuming the job market will improve as the baby boomers retire. There's absolutely no reason to believe that when their kids (Echo Boomers) will immediately fill the jobs they have, thus bringing us back to step 1. This is especially true considering that outsourcing/illegal immigration will continue to be growing problems as we progress along with automation, which, as you say, all work to remove the chairs (or, eliminate the job positions for the Echo Boomers) after the baby boomers get up from them.
We are not going back to Step 1. You have to realize that people will give out any excuses as to why the situation is not improving and getting worse... the idea that there are millions of Americans who didn't have jobs then suddenly have jobs because they are more competitive then people who were recently laid-off or college graduated makes zero sense.. it is more likely that the so called Echo Boomers aren't interested in finding a job... so the idea of Echo Boomers really doesn't hold any water... with automation/outsourcing/illegal immigration, I can see your point but we have had illegal immigrants actually leaving the nation, outsourcing countries laying off workers because of less demand, and no new automation starting in the US in the last few years... which means any of those would not make a significant impact in those figures... which all still means, the situation is getting worse...

Quote:
That said, the Echo Boomers will be the generation that has to contend with all the debt our governments have accumulated, mostly because these governments choose touse money printed by private central banks on interest and borrow money from other countries instead of taxing and printing their own money. Someone's going to have to pay for it once it comes due. It won't be a concern as long as the economy can continue to grow, but that can't happen if we're shifting our spending to interest payments on our debt. Thus, there was the issue we had with approaching our debt ceiling this past summer.
I have no doubt that the debt is becoming a huge problem and it will be on the younger generations to pay it more than others... I have yet to see an honest approach to handling our debt... not from Democrats and not from Republicans.... I suspect, it will never be handled while Obama is president... he doesn't seem to get it... All I hear from him is he needs more money... to pay down the debt? Nope... He likes to use the excuse of needing more money because of the debt, but he isn't going to actually pay the debt with it... you would have to be stupid to believe that...

Quote:
Furthermore, the Echo Boomers have to contend with $1 Trillion dollars in Student Loan Debt, because they were misled to think by their parents and grandparents that if they go into thousands of dollars in debt they can have a comfortable middle class lifestyle. Consumer spending makes up 70% of the US economy. However, if the Echo Boomers are directing all of their money to student loan payments, they won't be able to spend money in the economy and stimulate demand. Businesses have no reason to hre if there's no demand for their services and products (because they don't need many people to only serve a few customers).
Everyone makes bad decisions... the average student loan is $25k... that's 1k a YEAR over 30 years to pay it back... or less than $100 a month to pay back... We have hardship deferments for those who are struggling.. but honestly, the student loan isn't a problem... you could look at home mortgages and see much bigger debts, do you think forgiving home mortgages will have a bigger effect than forgiving student loans? The point of that is to show that forgiving debt is not in the interest the American people, it may help them out but it certainly doesn't help America out... you said, you hate the debt the nation carries but you want to add 1 trillion dollars on top of it? Huh?

Quote:
BTW, I'm an independent. I don't see this as a democrat or republican issue, but a basic fundamental issue when it comes to the future of our naiton and the quality of life future generations will have. Any reasonable people who didn't have bad or selfish intentions can see this.
Its not a democrat or republican issue... but who is running the government right now and who is not solving the problems right now... and who is repeatedly lying on TV or lying in the forums about these issues right now.. that's who I blame... some Republicans but mostly Democrats... it isn't a democrat or republican issue but the democrats are sure making it worse..

Old 04-24-2012, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Wrong again because Y being unemployed for that period of time and no education wouldn't of have gotten that job, unless the employer was a complete idiot... I don't understand how something so simple and basic can't be understood...
How the hell is education tied to the labor force participation rate? Its not!

The only thing that determines the size of your labor force is the number of people between the ages of 18 and 65. What determines your labor force participation rate is the percentage of people within those ages that are looking for work. Baby boomers turning the age of 65 (which this topic began about) have absolutely no effect on the labor force participation rate (which you claimed), because they are no longer counted as even being part of the labor force.

And this "Wrong again because Y being unemployed for that period of time and no education wouldn't of have gotten that job". It doesn't matter what Y's period of unemployment is or their education. The only thing that matters is whether or not Y is between the ages of 18 and 65 and looking for work.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Hah. Right dude. Believe what you wish, but it is being reported that 62% of bankruptcies are related to a medical cause.

So basically you are saying that America's amazing healthcare system is being unfairly framed as the number one cause of bankruptcies by people filing for bankruptcy when they have a number of different forms of debt. Well, it still holds true then that 62% of bankruptcies are at least partially attributable to healthcare expenses. No other form of debt is as high as that number, so there is truth to it.
100% of them have credit card debts unrelated to healthcare bills... are you now suggesting that all of the bankruptcies aren't due to medical bills but actually due to credit card overuse... believe whatever you want... its easier that way... all it means is that 62% of them went to see a healthcare-related matter... is that so shocking to you? Really?

Quote:
I understand though. The government mortifies you. You think its going to send you to the gulags or something if the democrats have control.

I never said anything about it being free. I expect it to be paid for through taxes. I am currently unemployed, but I will gladly pay my share of taxes for a universal system when I find a job.
Paid for with your taxes huh? So how is SS working out? Not too good? How about Medicare? Not too good either... well then, we need to find out who isn't paying enough... you know who that is? middle income America, they collected more than they paid in... so take your "gladly pay my share of taxes" BS lies and take a walk...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies