Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 06:35 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,978,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I don't believe that the TSA has made air travel any safer then it was prior to 9/11.
Seriously, have you flown since then.
You couldn't smuggle anything past them.
Pretty much every pocket, crack and hole is searched before boarding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 07:37 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,187,375 times
You are much more likely to drown in your own bathtub then be killed by a terrorist. I don't think that the TSA screenings have made air travel safer so no, I don't agree that frisking a terrified 4 year old or grandma or me is worth the cost.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:05 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,551,448 times
Quote:
You are much more likely to drown in your own bathtub then be killed by a terrorist. I don't think that the TSA screenings have made air travel safer so no, I don't agree that frisking a terrified 4 year old or grandma or me is worth the cost.
Agree 100%. It's a very sad joke.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:26 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,856,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Before 9/11 had terrorists ever hi jacked an American plane and attempted to smash them into buildings? There is a first time for everything, and i'm sure the family members of the people had died would have wished TSA been a bit more vigilant back then.
Just as an aside, the hijackers from 9/11 may not have had weapons at all...we really don't know. If they did, it may have been nothing more than a box cutter. They used the planes themselves as weapons. So there's no guarantee or even great likelihood that the TSA would have made a difference. Since 9/11 passengers have successfully carried box cutters onto planes.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:31 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,090,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Seriously, have you flown since then.
You couldn't smuggle anything past them.
Pretty much every pocket, crack and hole is searched before boarding.
People smuggle things on all the time. They even smuggle on faux bombs.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:44 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,078,027 times
The TSA agents need to be taught Profiling, if need be, have the Israelis come and teach them.

If you believe the boarding agents, 9/11 would not have happen if they had or were allowed to follow their gut feeling.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:07 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,938,194 times
Quote:
Yes, I agree

“Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.” Benjamin Franklin

Old 05-27-2012, 07:46 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,978,198 times
Quote:
You're reverse profiling. Oh this small child and grandma look friendly they couldn't do anything. NY/Canada border patrol found cocaine shoved in the legs of an old womans walker.
Looks can be very deceiving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
The TSA agents need to be taught Profiling, if need be, have the Israelis come and teach them.

If you believe the boarding agents, 9/11 would not have happen if they had or were allowed to follow their gut feeling.
Profiling is awful. While we all do it to a degree subconsciously, it's not good.
When you profile, you only target people who look/act/whatever a certain way.
Like all terrorist are muslim turban wearing people who don't wear normal clothes, well right there that's all you look for is "terrorist", when ANYONE could be a threat.

While I agree it sucks, if everyone is checked before flight, then I do feel slightly safer.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:02 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,934,339 times
TSA procedures are designed to prevent the previous attack, not the next one.

They give an illusion of security but there is absolutely no evidence that they have actually prevented any attacks. Rather, any prevention has been the result of intelligence services of certain countries disrupting them before they happen.

That is not to say that there should be no security at airports. But the current procedures go way beyond what is needed to get reasonable assurance. The installation of new machinery is more about spending the budget and pork than it is about security. The rigorous procedures are more about the 'process' and removing discretion from individual agents than about security. They are dreamed up from the comfort of someone's desk rather than in the real-life world of the traveling public.

As a frequent traveler, I have never had problems with the TSA agents. I know the rules and the procedures so I never fail the screening. However, I have noticed that TSA agents at large, busy airports tend to be more pragmatic and reasonable than those at smaller, less busy ones. Perhaps the TSA staff at smaller airports feel they need to justify their existence or, perhaps, they just get bored.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:10 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,548,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
TSA procedures are designed to prevent the previous attack, not the next one.

They give an illusion of security but there is absolutely no evidence that they have actually prevented any attacks. Rather, any prevention has been the result of intelligence services of certain countries disrupting them before they happen.

That is not to say that there should be no security at airports. But the current procedures go way beyond what is needed to get reasonable assurance. The installation of new machinery is more about spending the budget and pork than it is about security. The rigorous procedures are more about the 'process' and removing discretion from individual agents than about security. They are dreamed up from the comfort of someone's desk rather than in the real-life world of the traveling public.

As a frequent traveler, I have never had problems with the TSA agents. I know the rules and the procedures so I never fail the screening. However, I have noticed that TSA agents at large, busy airports tend to be more pragmatic and reasonable than those at smaller, less busy ones. Perhaps the TSA staff at smaller airports feel they need to justify their existence or, perhaps, they just get bored.
I agree. The naked scanners got put in place AFTER the underwear bomber was caught.

Now this latest improved underwear bomb the FBI just got would not get detected with current technology at the airport. It's going to be interesting to see what new procedures/equipment come from this latest catch.

Here's the story on the improved underwear bomb.
Read that last paragraph about "implanted bombs".

Foiled plot shows militants seek detection-proof bombs | Reuters
U.S. and European officials said that the newly-revealed plot was part of continued efforts by AQAP to design devices which could get through airport security.
"While the President was assured that the device did not pose a threat to the public, he directed the Department of Homeland Security and law enforcement and intelligence agencies to take whatever steps necessary to guard against this type of attack," Hayden said.
U.S. officials said AQAP had also been working to design explosive devices which could be implanted in would-be suicide bombers and there were doctors willing to perform the necessary surgery.
They said implanted bombs were more likely that those built into clothing to defeat airport security though the impact may be weaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies